Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #6,871 of 7,916
  But it's not an HTC
blink.gif
!!!!

Thats fine there are plenty of other good phones, not all of HTC's phones are that great either.

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #6,873 of 7,916
In the ultrabudget SoC audio category I just found a very interesting entry, but it will be of no benefit to almost everyone reading this because it's a Filipino brand that is only available in the Philippines. Basically another Asus Zenpad knockoff with an Intel SoC, but with a very neutral tonal balance. It really seems comparable to something like a Sansa Clip+ in terms of SQ. Unfortunately I only have one cheap pair of IEMs that I chose for their sensitivity and local warranty. So I have no idea how it would do with a pair of actual headphones. My Carbo Tenores and HD600s and Etymotics...well entropy is a thing...they are all dead.

Anyway fwiw the brand and model is the Cloudfone Cloudpad Special Edition. I am flat out amazed that SoC audio can sound so good, especially in a $60 ultrabudget phablet.. It definitely sounds better than my Flash Plus 2 with dedicated DAC and amp chips. The only phone I've actually listened to IRL that has comparable ability to make music sound beautiful was a Vivo. If I buy this phone and I probably will I will try to directly A/B the Cloudpad with some Vivo phones. I'd also love to be able to compare it to a ZTE Zmax 2 or Zmax Pro with their Qualcomm SoC audio, but I won't be able to do that until I get back to the US.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #6,874 of 7,916
Hi guys! This will be my first post :)

I have a fundamental question...
If I'm using headphones with extremely low impedance, does amp in smartphone matter and should I pay attention only to DAC?

I bought custom penta driver IEMs which are tuned to mimic SE846 frequency response and their impedance is 9ohm. For now, my choice for smartphone is LG V10 but it's huge and I'd gladly settle for something smaller. I thought about HTC M10, but it's a bit out of my price range. I know that in some cases phones have good hardware but bad implementation and that is another problem which can be solved only by experience.

Can you please help me on this dilemma :)

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #6,877 of 7,916

​I would like to suggest that this list of phones with dedicated audio ambition is escalated to "sticky" on Headfi and thus become a "flagship" thread. It will be good to put such focus out in the open as it could help to motivate vendors to start a war on "who has the best hifi audio in a smartphone". Much more fun to swim when there is a lot of water in the pool, not?

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #6,878 of 7,916

​I have changed the screen on LG G2 several times (due to my own clumsiness), and I observe therefore, that replacing the headphone out outlet is a very low cost & a few minutes only job. Anyone can do it. I see the same on LG V10. Study YT videos and loose respect for this problem.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #6,879 of 7,916
Just a heads up, Feb 26th is the biggest day of the year for new smartphone announcements.  I expect audiophile phones will be more of a theme, I know ZTE Axon 7 and Axon 7 Mini both had great sounding speacers, a 32 bit sabre dac, and Dolby Atmos... I owned the mini and it sounded amazing.

Hopefully will be even more neat audio phones this year ^^

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #6,880 of 7,916

If I'm using headphones with extremely low impedance, does amp in smartphone matter and should I pay attention only to DAC?

I bought custom penta driver IEMs which are tuned to mimic SE846 frequency response and their impedance is 9ohm. For now, my choice for smartphone is LG V10 but it's huge and I'd gladly settle for something smaller. I thought about HTC M10, but it's a bit out of my price range. I know that in some cases phones have good hardware but bad implementation and that is another problem which can be solved only by experience.

There isn't something smaller that will sound like a V10.

You could try an HTC A9 or even the M8/M9 as they all sound good.

Some people have said the Axon 7 Mini sounds good too but I haven't heard it personally.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #6,881 of 7,916

My suggestion is you have no need to pay attention to any spec of DAC or AMP on the paper. What is really matter is how they implement it.

One DAC of same number can be vary implemented from true-hi-end DAC to cheapy sound card having different sound signature

What you need to know is what type of sound you like to match your IEM. You need to have tested IEM with some DAP/DAC AMP to get the bottom line to know what is more favorable to you.

"want warmer or more analytical/neutrality.
euphonic vocal or more V-shape.
3D soundstage or just wide soundstage."

You should go at your local shop with your micro SD card of favorite songs and your IEM. Asking to try what they have. Then you will have a picture on what you wanna shape out the sound.

If you want warmer > HTC10 , vivo xshot
If you want analytical > LG V10, xiaomi mi note pro, lenovo vibe x3, axon7
If you want vocal focus > LG V20, meizu pro 5, mx4 pro, letv pro
If you want V shape > vivo x5 max, letv max
3D soundstage > LG V20, meizu pro 5, mx4 pro etc.
Just wide soundstage > xiaomi mi note pro, lenovo vibe x3 etc.

There are much more like some flagship vivo xplay5,6, I don't have chance to test it.

Taking into accounts, You want smaller size with reasonable price, then the scope is become lesser to

- vivo xshot
- x5max
- axon 7 mini (I don't test it personally)
- letv pro
- lenovo vibe x3

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #6,882 of 7,916
I think the m10 does have a very warm and thick chunky sound which is nice and smaller than LG v series....

I heard the axons briefly and they are also quite good. No worse than my v10 except I'm unsure about their headphone out...

I would still recommend people avoiding LG as their v10 built quality and their aftersales service attitude in Taiwan where I currently resides is just unacceptable!!

Oh yeah... The annoying Google voice e is back and gets trigger easily whenever I plug in my headphones..... Booh LG.

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #6,883 of 7,916

nothing mimics se846...

let's assume you are using se846, what you are looking for is a device with low output impedance, mid-high output current and low noise, low distortion. it's a difficult requirement.

try opa1622 based devices, namely vivo xplay6.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #6,884 of 7,916
Hi all
I just want to use tidal in offline mode ...preferred listening edm alt rock dubstep new wave.
I m getting confused but on my radar there are
Htc 10
Lg v10
Vivo xplay 5
Zte axon 7
Zte axon 7 mini.

As headphones audeze sine and as iems various hybrid models ( ibasso it 03 dunu 2000)
And noble xx massdrop on the way.

Any advice is more than welcome

P.s now as smartphone I have sony xperia z3 but i find the volime too low.
Other source is ak70 and i find it beautiful ( if tidal will be also offline in tge future will be perfect

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #6,885 of 7,916
Hi all
I just want to use tidal in offline mode ...preferred listening edm alt rock dubstep new wave.
I m getting confused but on my radar there are
Htc 10
Lg v10
Vivo xplay 5
Zte axon 7
Zte axon 7 mini.

As headphones audeze sine and as iems various hybrid models ( ibasso it 03 dunu 2000)
And noble xx massdrop on the way.

Any advice is more than welcome

P.s now as smartphone I have sony xperia z3 but i find the volime too low.
Other source is ak70 and i find it beautiful ( if tidal will be also offline in tge future will be perfect

Letv max is really good for edm and rock

Another option, recommend to sell ak70 and upgrade to dx200 instead. It is really good matching with it03. ^ ^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back