Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #5,191 of 7,916
HTC 10 dynamic range is actually 93db according to GSM arena

Decent for a phone

If you are really concerned that much about dynamic range invest (considerably less money) in a Chord Mojo and a cheapo phone. 125db

I think gsmarena are not measuring the quad dac on V20 or are using 16bit data. I wouldn't use their data for any useful comparisons if I were you. They don't even list output voltage or power. The difference between loaded and unloaded frequency response is vaguely useful for determining the amp performance.

Nov 14, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #5,192 of 7,916
HTC 10 dynamic range is actually 93db according to GSM arena

Decent for a phone

If you are really concerned that much about dynamic range invest (considerably less money) in a Chord Mojo and a cheapo phone. 125db
I didn't say that. I have a V20 so I am not a fanboi.

The dongle has more output in voltage terms on a non european capped phone, I measured it. Output impedance can in some cases matter more than 3dB or 'A' weighted dynamic range. So keep your blinkered views and mud slinging.

Is that so ? Mind sharing it ? But why are we fighting over this $8.99 dongle ? Lol....I am happy with my current Apple devices, and happier when I can use a dongle of $8.99 which also have it own sound quality.

Even much happier that I can also use my 3.5mm too :D

Bold move from Apple for sure.

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #5,193 of 7,916
it's all about licensing.

https://youtu.be/PmTSN4zWeQ0

Lol....greed knows no limit. Apple would have sold ways more iPhone than the little accessory that they can chip away from by simply going all out on a proper design of 3.5mm. They can even start to manufacture their own flagship IEMS or headphones as well. They can also introduce their own dedicated case cover+battery+DAC integrated as well, or whatever.

But let me tell you, some people rather chip away on the bottom rather than to surface up above others.

Hey, I don't blame Apple anyways, the great Steve Job is gone. Apple has not been Apple since the 5S in my eyes, and that is what my wife is still using until now.

I'm not even in the mood to use a cute anime picture as a reaction. 

No... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But then again, I've been using solely Android phones for the past 6 years. They are never fully stable, they are never the best, all of them have one quirk over another. But I also only bought mid-high range, never summit-fi / high end phones. Maybe those work better, but I needed my screen space large large large, so Xiaomi mi max delivers. Any phone smaller than 6" is too small for my hands and my needs, any phone larger than 6.4" is just perfect. Yep, they're almost impossible to use with one hand, and uncomfortable at times, but still work well for what I do. 

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #5,194 of 7,916

I'm not even in the mood to use a cute anime picture as a reaction. 

No... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But then again, I've been using solely Android phones for the past 6 years. They are never fully stable, they are never the best, all of them have one quirk over another. But I also only bought mid-high range, never summit-fi / high end phones. Maybe those work better, but I needed my screen space large large large, so Xiaomi mi max delivers. Any phone smaller than 6" is too small for my hands and my needs, any phone larger than 6.4" is just perfect. Yep, they're almost impossible to use with one hand, and uncomfortable at times, but still work well for what I do. 

Dude, just stop posting those anime drawings, we get it, your a weeb, keep everything in topic. seriously its anoying

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #5,195 of 7,916
Just a curious question,

Does anyone of you know about fidelizer and do you hear any SQ improvement. Since the developer can apply to rooted android phone also.

In my opinion, I can see improvement but not sure if it is only my hallucination or not. Would like to see others' opinion as well. :)

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #5,196 of 7,916
I think gsmarena are not measuring the quad dac on V20 or are using 16bit data. I wouldn't use their data for any useful comparisons if I were you. They don't even list output voltage or power. The difference between loaded and unloaded frequency response is vaguely useful for determining the amp performance.

Yep I've noticed that too, that pretty much all of their numbers add to about 16bits of resolution. Nothing wrong with that mind you as the bottleneck will be at the analog section no matter what. Pretty much any phone could sound really good, if they just upgrade the headphone amp section and just using the integrated DACs.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #5,197 of 7,916
Yep I've noticed that too, that pretty much all of their numbers add to about 16bits of resolution. Nothing wrong with that mind you as the bottleneck will be at the analog section no matter what. Pretty much any phone could sound really good, if they just upgrade the headphone amp section and just using the integrated DACs.

Much as HTC did. Don't forget power supply and layout. Critical. A power amp is just a (hopefully) super accurate tap to the power supply.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #5,199 of 7,916
Haven't tried the V20 yet. But all I can say is that my Huawei Mate 9 below the HTC 10 out of the water in both loudspeaker and headphone audio. 

Mate 9 in headphone vs HTC 10:
- Very neutral 
- Bigger sound stage
- Plays all the micro details  in highs and mids without sounding harsh
- Genuine and controlled bass
- 40% volume was enough for me in a crowded area (it can go higher)

Sales are supposed to start today so more impressions from other users to come. 

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #5,200 of 7,916
Much as HTC did. Don't forget power supply and layout. Critical. A power amp is just a (hopefully) super accurate tap to the power supply.

these are integrated circuits lay out is not very important, other than space constraint. Frankly all that is being mentioned can easily accomplished by the people who design and build these, but marketing always win over engineering, when it comes to mass products.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #5,201 of 7,916
I have the V20 now and about to turn in my V10 to Tmo [jump] but for audio alone it's not worth the extra money, however the phone itself is superior in every other way IMO including it's looks. YMMV.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #5,205 of 7,916
How is the sound quality compared to cowon or Fiio X3II?

I only own the X1 right now, but ever since I got the V10 almost a year ago I haven't turned it on mostly beacsue of the primitive interface. I would expect the X3 to have a beefier amp though than any of these phones, so if that is important to you the choice is obvious. Subjective perceived sound quality is just that, you're gonna have to be the judge of what you prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back