Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #5,221 of 7,916
Just a quick heads up to anyone considering any of the older LeTv x800 or x900 devices please do not purchase the US (international) version as it appears LeEco has dropped support for those devices, this has left owners stuck on a older lollipop ROM with many bugs, yes you can instal a custom recovery and some of the few ROMs available but almost all developers are dropping development for the US version because LeEco won't release the source so improved Marshmallow ROMs can be ported. I love the sound on this device and it's even better with a custom ROM from the x900 especially battery life but please if you decide to get one to play with get the Chinese versions which are getting updates and bug fixes, play store can be easily installed and sure you will not have LTE but HSPA+ is fast enough IMO.

http://www.letv.re/forum/145-rom-us/

At least there is some port rom from CN version for latest 18S with MM.

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #5,223 of 7,916
http://www.letv.re/forum/145-rom-us/

At least there is some port rom from CN version for latest 18S with MM.

Yea I saw that ROM but the problem is that without the MM source codes I don't think the port can be completed for instance the MM camera libs but hopefully something can be done, I'll probably just order a CN x900 in the future and keep this as a backup device

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #5,224 of 7,916
  Bought letv max last tuesday, it got shipped today with "no fees at all" even though i bought it from china into eu. 
The shop is grossoshop, dont know if i can share that information. 
Im expecting it mid next week and i cant wait to give my impression! 

Isn't fee calculated after the shipment comes to customs in destination country?

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #5,225 of 7,916
Just got a USB host adapter for my Pro 3 so I could do some comparisons.

Subjectively, the stock 3.5mm DAC is way better than the PCM2707 DAC I built a long time ago. In fact, it is almost as good as my OpenDAC HD! (All three DACs were driven from the Pro 3, with the OpenDAC HD connected via a USB to S/PDIF adapter.)

The OpenDAC HD indicator stays cyan, indicating that the output is stuck at 48kHz. That, however, might be a limitation of the USB to S/PDIF adapter I'm using. Even with that in mind, there's no real subjective difference between the OpenDAC HD driven off the Pro 3 and the OpenDAC HD driven off my PC.

Probing around with dmesg doesn't reveal anything about what chip it uses, other than that it's USB 2.0 and is detected as "LeTV LeEco_CDLA_DH1". The scope trace with a 10 ohm load shows no detectable droop but a significant overshoot that doesn't seem to have any effect on audio quality.

There's a little of what I believe to be residual carrier of around 6MHz or so. Not much but it was enough that I had to play with the scope settings to get a stable trace. That combined with the astoundingly small size of the DAC and lack of droop leads me to believe it might not be a traditional DAC/amp at all but rather a miniature digital amplifier using Delta Sigma.

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #5,227 of 7,916
Hi, what is the best phone for audio? Max 350-400, and i have a dt770 80omh.
What do you think about the xiaomi mi5?
Thank.

In this budget, please consider lg v10, lenovo vibe x3, meizu pro 5, letv x900 and x800 as your choices.

If there be any criteria such as screen size, US LTE, or micro sd card needed or what kind of sound you like(which dap) , feel free to talk. We can scope out.

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #5,228 of 7,916
In this budget, please consider lg v10, lenovo vibe x3, meizu pro 5, letv x900 and x800 as your choices.

If there be any criteria such as screen size, US LTE, or micro sd card needed or what kind of sound you like(which dap) , feel free to talk. We can scope out.

Hi, what is the best phone for audio? Max 350-400, and i have a dt770 80ohm.
What do you think about the xiaomi mi5? I need a performance phone too.
Thank.

You can also add Xiaomi mi max if you want a big screen - it can do pretty amazing things with enough tweaking, 

In that price range, you might get a crazy deal on a LG V10 this Black Friday. 

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #5,232 of 7,916
You can also take a look at the $300 Le Pro 3 and the $150 Le S3. Both come with USB-C DACs that I tested (with scope trace) a few posts back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back