Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #4,608 of 7,916
High!

I'm looking for an upgrade, - either an 'audiophile grade smartphone', or a combo of 'smartphone + portable headphone DAC/amplifier'.

What are your thoughts (cons/pros) on comparing these two alternatives:
1. 'LG V20' or
2. 'iPhone 7plus' + 'Portable Headphone DAC/AMP' (like 'OPPO HA-2SE')

I'm using 'JVC HA-FX700 Stereo Mini-Headphones' wired to my iPhone 4S, in Apple OSX environment (iTunes/Match, Mac etc), but looking for audiophile upgrade alternatives, where the LG V20 seem very interesting alternative to iPhone 7+ maybe...?

Bulkiness and extra cable is not an issue for me...

What are your thoughts ?

Here is a list (for use with iPhone 7+)
"
of Verified Working Devices on iOS 10 (Assume no mic or inline controls unless noted)
* AQ Dragonfly Red with CCK cable
* LH Labs Geekout V2+ with CCK cable (*volume level is about 25% less than connected to a desktop USB)
* Nexum Aqua for iOS (availability is TBD)
* Oppo HA-2
* Chord Mojo with CCK
* Sound Blaster E5
* FiiO E18 with CCK
* FiiO K1 with CCK
"

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #4,609 of 7,916
High!

I'm looking for an upgrade, - either an 'audiophile grade smartphone', or a combo of 'smartphone + portable headphone DAC/amplifier'.

What are your thoughts (cons/pros) on comparing these two alternatives:
1. 'LG V20' or
2. 'iPhone 7plus' + 'Portable Headphone DAC/AMP' (like 'OPPO HA-2SE')

I'm using 'JVC HA-FX700 Stereo Mini-Headphones' wired to my iPhone 4S, in Apple OSX environment (iTunes/Match, Mac etc), but looking for audiophile upgrade alternatives, where the LG V20 seem very interesting alternative to iPhone 7+ maybe...?

Bulkiness and extra cable is not an issue for me...

What are your thoughts ?

Here is a list (for use with iPhone 7+)
"
of Verified Working Devices on iOS 10 (Assume no mic or inline controls unless noted)
* AQ Dragonfly Red with CCK cable
* LH Labs Geekout V2+ with CCK cable (*volume level is about 25% less than connected to a desktop USB)
* Nexum Aqua for iOS (availability is TBD)
* Oppo HA-2
* Chord Mojo with CCK
* Sound Blaster E5
* FiiO E18 with CCK
* FiiO K1 with CCK
"

iphone + oppo ha2. 

In case extra heat from DAC is not your concern, I recommend mojo for another level of experience.

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #4,611 of 7,916
artpiggo I'm between JDS C5D, HA-2, Xduoo XD-05 modded with burson v5i or a Hi-Fi smartphone like V10/20, Xplay 5 elite, Axon 7 or Letv x900. My question is... Which do you think would be the best choice, a Hi-fi smartphone or smartphone and dac/amp combo via Otg? Just talking about sound quality.

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #4,612 of 7,916
@artpiggo I'm between JDS C5D, HA-2, Xduoo XD-05 modded with burson v5i or a Hi-Fi smartphone like V10/20, Xplay 5 elite, Axon 7 or Letv x900. My question is... Which do you think would be the best choice, a Hi-fi smartphone or smartphone and dac/amp combo via Otg? Just talking about sound quality.

Talking only about SQ, it would be dac amp combo wins for sure. If I were you whom numerous gears are not concerned, I will just buy mojo and use whatever phone that support dac easily. Mojo is a game changer in this era. IMO

From your dac amp list, I have just only tried HA02 last year which I think also good option.

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #4,613 of 7,916
Well, considering my current phone is acting up, and I've never used a phone as dap, at least not seriously, I decided to pick up a refurb LG V10.  Should be here in a week or so, and I'm really hoping I enjoy it.  At least if I don't, the place I bought it from has a 30 day no questions asked return policy.

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #4,614 of 7,916
Talking only about SQ, it would be dac amp combo wins for sure. If I were you whom numerous gears are not concerned, I will just buy mojo and use whatever phone that support dac easily. Mojo is a game changer in this era. IMO

From your dac amp list, I have just only tried HA02 last year which I think also good option.

IMO Mojo is nothing better than ODAC. Save a lot of money.

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #4,615 of 7,916
IMO Mojo is nothing better than ODAC. Save a lot of money.

That's in a one in a thousand point of view, which you are of course entitled to.

If you really want to save money though then don't bother with the DAC amp at all. The gains are often miniscule unless you need the power.

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #4,616 of 7,916
Are you talking some other music player to use to stream stuff from Google play music? I don't think so. I use the family subscription for me, my wife and two kids. The selection is fantastic and the quality is pretty darn good.

Nah, I mean like software EQ or processing.  I agree the quality of the files is decent.

Mostly I'm thinking about ditching my phone as my primary portable audio device and getting a cheapo Android phone ($150-ish) and pairing it with a DAC/Amp combo. As long as it runs 6.0, it should be fine to output the unmolested digital audio file to the DAC. 

So, combining something cheap like a Moto G 4th gen and the Fiio Q1, I'd have a dedicated portable source that sounded better than my daily driver cell (G3) and would preserve my battery life for actual communicating and whatnot.

The idea is to break out audio into a dedicated source, but one from which I can fully use my Play Music subscription and library.

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #4,617 of 7,916

Mojo at this moment is too expensive for me (over $700 shipped to my country) maybe next year I will buy it. I Will go with dac/amp combo + my current smartphone.
Thank you for answer, it helped me a lot to make a choice.

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #4,619 of 7,916
I have owned my Bluboo Maya Max for about 2 weeks now and I am extremely happy that I decided to buy it I love it more and more each day, it is the best phone I have ever owned! Music quality is fantastic, I think I enjoy it more than my Ipod background instruments in particular sound more refined to me. The first time I listened through iems (kz ed9s) I genuinely had a smile of my face and boy is it loud! The loudest volume setting is almost too loud listening through iems and the speaker freaking cranks. Listening to music through neutron is amazing, I am so glad I took the risk buying it and considering the fact I only spent $99 and it's specs I feel as tho I almost stole it lol. 

In my opinion I think the DAC manufacturer NXP could be the real deal and the best part is they are supplying their DAC to several Chinese manufacturers so there should be quite a lot of options when it comes to phones using their chips for those that are wanting budget phones with hifi audio. I'm sure someone else with more refined hearing that me would probably with some flaws with it but to my ears music sounds fantastic.

I look forward to using this phone for years to come and the best part is I can finally get rid of my ipod! :D 

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #4,620 of 7,916
  I have owned my Bluboo Maya Max for about 2 weeks now and I am extremely happy that I decided to buy it I love it more and more each day, it is the best phone I have ever owned! Music quality is fantastic, I think I enjoy it more than my Ipod background instruments in particular sound more refined to me. The first time I listened through iems (kz ed9s) I genuinely had a smile of my face and boy is it loud! The loudest volume setting is almost too loud listening through iems and the speaker freaking cranks. Listening to music through neutron is amazing, I am so glad I took the risk buying it and considering the fact I only spent $99 and it's specs I feel as tho I almost stole it lol. 

In my opinion I think the DAC manufacturer NXP could be the real deal and the best part is they are supplying their DAC to several Chinese manufacturers so there should be quite a lot of options when it comes to phones using their chips for those that are wanting budget phones with hifi audio. I'm sure someone else with more refined hearing that me would probably with some flaws with it but to my ears music sounds fantastic.

I look forward to using this phone for years to come and the best part is I can finally get rid of my ipod! :D 

this information will be useful for as a former owner of iphone 5c.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back