Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #4,640 of 7,916

DSP can make sound better by a considerable margin. 

Still would love to have classic DAC + AMP + headphones chain, or DAP + headphones. 

Some people had really good experiences with bluetooth, I wasn't able to pair a single bluetooth headphone yet without problems. they do work well for some people though. 

Still undecided whether it's a good or a bad idea to use bluetooth headphones since I haven't heard the better ones yet. 

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #4,641 of 7,916
Nah, I mean like software EQ or processing.  I agree the quality of the files is decent.

Mostly I'm thinking about ditching my phone as my primary portable audio device and getting a cheapo Android phone ($150-ish) and pairing it with a DAC/Amp combo. As long as it runs 6.0, it should be fine to output the unmolested digital audio file to the DAC. 

So, combining something cheap like a Moto G 4th gen and the Fiio Q1, I'd have a dedicated portable source that sounded better than my daily driver cell (G3) and would preserve my battery life for actual communicating and whatnot.

The idea is to break out audio into a dedicated source, but one from which I can fully use my Play Music subscription and library.

Oh I see what your saying. For stand alone DAC you'd need something that is streaming capable I suppose...and with a current enough OS that lets you store your Google music offline. I was really hoping the zx2 coukd do that but it fails. Can only save to internal memory which is less than 2 gigs I believe. This is because the firmware is outdated by a couple years. A shame tho cause the very next update let's you save to an exyernal card....but it never happened. DP-X1 is pretty nice at streaming and saving Google music files. Funny tho, you're headed in a different direction than me. I wanted an all in one solution and have fallen in love with the HTC 10. The LG G5 with DAC is pretty suite too.

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #4,642 of 7,916

DSP can make sound better by a considerable margin. 

Still would love to have classic DAC + AMP + headphones chain, or DAP + headphones. 

Some people had really good experiences with bluetooth, I wasn't able to pair a single bluetooth headphone yet without problems. they do work well for some people though. 

Still undecided whether it's a good or a bad idea to use bluetooth headphones since I haven't heard the better ones yet. 

I should've mentioned they allow you to connect wired through microusb.

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #4,643 of 7,916
  I should've mentioned they allow you to connect wired through microusb.

microusb is not headphone jack. 

Me not likey this approach,. 

Me wants to know what DAC what, what OP-AMPs and what AMP buffers are inside as well as all the other juicy details about a product. Me then buy it. 

Seriously now, without knowing the entire audio structure of the setup, it's just not that geeky fun. 

It will still work for sure, but where's the fun if not reading abot components or even planning to weld components on a board? 

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #4,644 of 7,916
Oct 13, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #4,645 of 7,916
Me not like the batteries over my head in that wireless headphones setup.

No batteries over my head, period.

One device solution only, wired headphones only, no trust wireless whatever, someone nearby might listen to my tunes then.

One device solution and I mean one very cheap device solution and no exploding batteries please!

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #4,646 of 7,916
  Me not like the batteries over my head in that wireless headphones setup.

No batteries over my head, period.

One device solution only, wired headphones only, no trust wireless whatever, someone nearby might listen to my tunes then.

One device solution and I mean one very cheap device solution and no exploding batteries please!

This actually got me smiling. 

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #4,647 of 7,916
Does anyone use one of those otg micro sd adapters? Examples are here and also here. I have a S6 edge and getting tired of the lack of storage and a micro sd card would add a lot of options. If anyone has a similar solution, how well does it work and any big impact on battery?

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #4,648 of 7,916
Does anyone use one of those otg micro sd adapters? Examples are here and also here. I have a S6 edge and getting tired of the lack of storage and a micro sd card would add a lot of options. If anyone has a similar solution, how well does it work and any big impact on battery?

Used to use with my mi note. Battery drain out a lot and it is not convenient outside house as well.

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #4,649 of 7,916
Thanks for the quick response. That saves me $20 or so. I do like my phone and don't want to buy a new one just because of storage so when this one eventually kicks the bucket I'll get something that has a sd card. It annoys me that this one year Samsung had no sd cards and then went back to it a year later.

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #4,650 of 7,916

Which of the two solutions you mention do you prefer (pros/cons)?

What are your thoughts on choosing one of these two combos:

1) 'LG V20' + 'OPPO HA-2SE' + wired 'JVC HA-FX700 Stereo Mini-Headphones'
or
2) 'iPhone 7plus' + 'OPPO HA-2SE' + wired 'JVC HA-FX700 Stereo Mini-Headphones'

I'm already in the Apple environment and using iTunes Match with iPhone 4S, Mac and mentioned headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back