Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #4,291 of 7,916
  I am curious:

With phones coming out now with good amp/DAC combos, what is the highest impedance headphones that could be run on any of them (G5, v10, axon 7, etc) without needing an external amp?  Has anyone tested this in detail?

With high impedance headphones, its a matter of how much voltage the device is capable of pumping through its headphone jack.  A source can be very high quality but still not have a powerful output.  Or vice versa, or any combination thereof.  My lowly ZTE ZMax 2 drives my Senn 600's very well and quite loudly, but it doesn't do as well with sensitive low impedance IEM's.  I expect that while it has a powerful output, its output impedance is on the highish side, causing frequency variations in low impedance IEM's like the FLC8S.  I don't think you can make any general statement about the capabilities of "audiophile" phones with high impedance headphones, too many variables.  The output voltage of smartphones varies tremendously among different models.  You need to know the specs (output voltage and impedance) of the individual models to know what it will drive well.

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #4,292 of 7,916
Hi guys. I've been reading this thread for quite some time. Letv looks tempting.

I have o2 as desktop amp. I'm in the process of getting good dac for my o2. However I also listen to Spotify quite a lot. I know Spotify not high res. But I like the convenience. I belive in Sq more than high res. If anything I can always go tidal

1. So how's letv treating it's output -> amp -> hi impedance earbud / headphones.

2. How high impedance it can handle with authority? I'm thinking getting high impedance earbud soon.

Tq. Hope someone can shed some light.

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #4,294 of 7,916
Hi guys. I've been reading this thread for quite some time. Letv looks tempting.

I have o2 as desktop amp. I'm in the process of getting good dac for my o2. However I also listen to Spotify quite a lot. I know Spotify not high res. But I like the convenience. I belive in Sq more than high res. If anything I can always go tidal

1. So how's letv treating it's output -> amp -> hi impedance earbud / headphones.

2. How high impedance it can handle with authority? I'm thinking getting high impedance earbud soon.

Tq. Hope someone can shed some light.

The O2 amp can handle the vast majority of headphones (high or low impedance), if you went with the standard gain options.  I wouldn't expect any problems.

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #4,295 of 7,916
So i have been reading around that the ZTE Axon 7 DAC doesn't work with Spotify, Google Play or Tidal? It this true? I use streaming services exclusively and i was looking to buying it but this is a dealbreaker.

What about the HTC 10? Does it also have limited support for the descrete DAC/AMP?

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #4,296 of 7,916
  So i have been reading around that the ZTE Axon 7 DAC doesn't work with Spotify, Google Play or Tidal? It this true? I use streaming services exclusively and i was looking to buying it but this is a dealbreaker.

What about the HTC 10? Does it also have limited support for the descrete DAC/AMP?

Where have you read that?   I've seen a few reviews specifically mentioning Spotify and Tidal.  And I can't imagine it would ever get GPS certification if it didn't work with Google Music.  My Zmax2, a 59 dollar phone, works fine with streaming services.  Not saying you're wrong, it just sounds very odd and unlikely.

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #4,297 of 7,916
  Where have you read that?   I've seen a few reviews specifically mentioning Spotify and Tidal.  And I can't imagine it would ever get GPS certification if it didn't work with Google Music.  My Zmax2, a 59 dollar phone, works fine with streaming services.  Not saying you're wrong, it just sounds very odd and unlikely.

Well, for one, there is this entire thread on the ZTE forums devoted to that

Make the DAC work anywhere!

Basically it uses the defaults Snapdragon DAC everywhere except for the ZTE music app.

And if you recall, even the LG V10 had this issue until someone came up with an app to make the ESS DAC global.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phascinate.lgv10.dacfix&hl=en

I haven't seen any such complaints for the HTC 10 so far so maybe it doesn't have this problem. I am totally confused by this.

Sep 20, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #4,298 of 7,916

Well, for one, there is this entire thread on the ZTE forums devoted to that

Make the DAC work anywhere!

Basically it uses the defaults Snapdragon DAC everywhere except for the ZTE music app.

And if you recall, even the LG V10 had this issue until someone came up with an app to make the ESS DAC global.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phascinate.lgv10.dacfix&hl=en

I haven't seen any such complaints for the HTC 10 so far so maybe it doesn't have this problem. I am totally confused by this.

Ok, I see what you're saying.  I thought you meant that it couldn't play them at all. You're saying it uses the integrated Snapdragon for those apps.  That I can believe, disappointing though.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of (maybe all?)smartphones with audiophile aspirations do this.  It probably makes the development work much easier for them.

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #4,303 of 7,916
Hello guys,
Today I've received new ZTE Axon 7 Mini and can say that it's awful. Very quiet sound in headphones.
Are you sure that regular Axon 7 sounds different?? But why? After all, Axon 7 Mini has a newer AK4962 (while Axon 7 has AK4961)...Could anyone compare them?

It turns out that HTC 10 is the best smartphone for audiophiles, right? Or Meizu Pro 6 is better?

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #4,305 of 7,916
Has anyone "dissected" a HTC 10 to see what DAC it is actually being used?   

If you have to dissect a device to see if it is satisfactory, that should tell you something. Too many fall prey to marketing instead of relying on their own ears. I really don't care what DAC or op-amp is being used. How does it SOUND???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back