Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #3,841 of 7,916
If you are looking for a  headphone with special design for the entry-level, Mixcder Ghost is a good choice,with excellent sound, long lasting battery life, as well as the Bluetooth Range.

You're in the wrong thread. Bluetooth in not covered here. Because Bluetooth is not yet hifi ready.

So please take your ill thought sales elsewhere

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #3,842 of 7,916

"Also, they will have to add more memory and really powerful cpu as that will affect audio performance.  We will really need power to power those dacs sufficiently."
Playing Hi-Fi audio is not processor heavy at all. Even a raspberry pi development kit can play hi-fi music through a DAC, so I don't expect current gen processors having any problems feeding quad-dacs.
And why 6gb? What kind of monster app are you going to load for playing music?
A fast processor,a lot of ram and root access is certainly nice to have, but lets not give the kids the idea that this is a necessity for playing Hi-Fi audio through "Quad DACs".

While having a EQ is sometimes a virtue, personally I rather not fiddle with it:
Thats like buying a Picasso and making adjustments with pen because you think the eyes are not detailed enough.
I certainly do agree with you that the absence of a microSD is a poor decision from Vivo.

Sorry but  i have to respectfully disagree.  

Remember were talking about a cell phone that was not designed specifically for music.  It was designed for making wireless phone calls.  Then we started adding additional functionality to it.

This might be true if we had an os strictly made for audio that didn't have a camera, web browser, tethering capability, texting capability,  sametime instant video, long distance calling, multitasking etc... 

First we have to factor in the operating system and memory hogging applications.  

Have you ever plugged in a multiple ba and hear popping noise or imbalance.  Often times you can get rid of that by adjusting the cpufreq.

It depends on which type of eq you are referring to.  

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #3,843 of 7,916
The number of DAC doesn't mean it will be quadruple better. However, if the phone is designed with audio quality in mind, it's a good sign that we can dump those overrated and overpriced pretentious "hi-end" DAP (AK, Lotoo, etc)

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #3,844 of 7,916
  Sorry but  i have to respectfully disagree.  

Remember were talking about a cell phone that was not designed specifically for music.  It was designed for making wireless phone calls.  Then we started adding additional functionality to it.

This might be true if we had an os strictly made for audio that didn't have a camera, web browser, tethering capability, texting capability,  sametime instant video, long distance calling, multitasking etc... 

First we have to factor in the operating system and memory hogging applications.  

Have you ever plugged in a multiple ba and hear popping noise or imbalance.  Often times you can get rid of that by adjusting the cpufreq.

It depends on which type of eq you are referring to.  

Smartphones are indeed not build for audio playback, but I think that's more due to the audio hardware than not having enough power.
Combine an Android/iOs device with a asynchronous DAC, and your mismatch is limited.

I don't think CPU or less than 6 gb of Ram will be the bottleneck since they can handle enormous speeds. At most they might give a 'start-up clog' when coming from hibernation.
Those portable DAPs, which costs hunders of dollars use a fraction of a modern smartphones processing power and RAM to deliver fantastic audio quality. 
Decompression of a Hi-Fi music file is not the problem here, neither is shortage of RAM. The poor hardware handling the decompressed file is the problem.

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #3,846 of 7,916

Smartphones are indeed not build for audio playback, but I think that's more due to the audio hardware than not having enough power.
Combine an Android/iOs device with a asynchronous DAC, and your mismatch is limited.

I don't think CPU or less than 6 gb of Ram will be the bottleneck since they can handle enormous speeds. At most they might give a 'start-up clog' when coming from hibernation.
Those portable DAPs, which costs hunders of dollars use a fraction of a modern smartphones processing power and RAM to deliver fantastic audio quality. 
Decompression of a Hi-Fi music file is not the problem here, neither is shortage of RAM. The poor hardware handling the decompressed file is the problem.

I hope that soon will release a smartphone which will be better than any player!
L3000.gif

Aug 12, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #3,847 of 7,916
[COLOR=111111]I hope that soon will release a smartphone which will be better than any player![/COLOR]:L3000:

It is not future. It is now!

Aug 12, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #3,848 of 7,916
Everyone seems to working themselves into an extatic froth over a quad DAC.

The top DACs from ESS are 8 channel DACs, which is great, as you can parallel 4 channels to lower noise or not depending on taste (many do, and many do not, for a variety of audiophile reasons)

It's interesting news, but LG will not be the first to use an ESS DAC. It really is not what you've got, but how you use it. Which is why the HTC 10 is able to sound pretty good with a snapdragon integral DAC plus amp, while I'm sure there are others with a dedicated DAC and amp that are worse.

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #3,849 of 7,916
I want to make a conclusion here. Best sounding cell phone is vivo xplay 5. Best all arounder cell phone with a good sound is LG V10 in US at the moment.

I will get ZTE Axon 7 soon and take a listen. So sad I ordered the grey version as they come out so slow and turns out the gold version looks actually better. I have feeling that it will not beat the LG V10. Man, the V10 pairs perfectly with my Yuin PK1.

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #3,851 of 7,916
I have a LG G5 with the b&o play hifi module... sounds amazing for a phone.

I also own a Chord Mojo and Sony NW ZX2.. the G5 is very close.

Yes I agree with you hear. I prefer the sound of the ZX2 but they are comparable. Even closer to the Only DP-X1. I may not even be able to tell them apart without with some careful listening.

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #3,852 of 7,916
Try driving 50ohm+ from the ho and then see how the ZX2 stacks up...

The B&O DAC is a mini marvel in high impedance mode.

Aug 12, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #3,854 of 7,916
Everyone seems to working themselves into an extatic froth over a quad DAC.

The top DACs from ESS are 8 channel DACs, which is great, as you can parallel 4 channels to lower noise or not depending on taste (many do, and many do not, for a variety of audiophile reasons)

It's interesting news, but LG will not be the first to use an ESS DAC. It really is not what you've got, but how you use it. Which is why the HTC 10 is able to sound pretty good with a snapdragon integral DAC plus amp, while I'm sure there are others with a dedicated DAC and amp that are worse.

I agree. The DAC is one part of the audio chain, a chain in which a parts need to not only be of high quality, but work well with each other.

Connect a terrific super ultra clear, made by virgins, designed by God, DAC to a mediocre preamp, the end result is mediocre audio. Connect that same DAC to a shytty preamp, you get shytty audio.

Take a not too bad DAC (but considerably worse than the one above), connect it to a well equalized decent preamp (optimized for the DAC), you'll get pretty good audio that people are likely to praise and desire.

I'm simply illustrating, as you did, that obsessing over the DAC alone may lead you down the wrong path.

And don't get me started on the effect RAM and a CPU (don't) have on audio quality.

Aug 12, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #3,855 of 7,916
I agree. The DAC is one part of the audio chain, a chain in which a parts need to not only be of high quality, but work well with each other.

Connect a terrific super ultra clear, made by virgins, designed by God, DAC to a mediocre preamp, the end result is mediocre audio. Connected the same DAC to a ****ty preamp, ****ty audio.

Take not too bad DAC (bur considerably worse than the one above), connect it to a well equalized decent preamp (optimized for the DAC), you'll get pretty good audio that people are likely to praise and desire.

I'm simply illustrating, as you did, that obsessing over the DAC alone may lead you down the wrong path.

And don't get me started on the effect RAM and a CPU (don't) have on audio quality.

Unless you have 64KB of RAM and 16bit CPU then no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back