Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #3,061 of 7,916
S7 also has a slightly better camera, HTC supports adaptive storage and has quick charge 3.0. I'll have to go to carphone warehouse or some other place to have a look, see which one I prefer.

HTC phones have always been ahead of Samsung phones in terms of audio quality. I personally didn't like the sound emanating from samsung phones. Current HTC 10 supports high-res audio and the supplied earbuds are also of better quality than the samsung ones. HTC won't disappoint but try them each before buying seems like a good idea. Also i found the S6 giving a better sound exp than the S7, i don't know why but while hearing with the 846s something seemed off in the S7. I moved from htc m8 to iphone 6s plus and the sound quality is a lot better. I didn't try the m9 but heard the sound output is really good, hoping the same for 10 also...

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #3,062 of 7,916
Hmmph - not in the UK it hasn't...

Link

You are right, not in the UK and as far as I can see nowhere in EU for a similarly low price, unfortunately. The new super low price of LeTv Le1 Pro x800 64GB is just trough Chinese resellers, the cheapest I found is $173.89 using coupon LT1PLJF on Gearbest. Be cautious as the 64GB version they all sell now is the “new” US version, you can brick it if you use any ROM intended for the “old” china version of the phone - there is a lot of talk about the US version on xda and other forums as at this new low price this phone sells very well. So you have to do your math if you are able and willing to cope with the possible inconveniences of buying a Chinese phone from a Chinese reseller.

Jun 10, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #3,063 of 7,916
  HTC phones have always been ahead of Samsung phones in terms of audio quality. I personally didn't like the sound emanating from samsung phones. Current HTC 10 supports high-res audio and the supplied earbuds are also of better quality than the samsung ones. HTC won't disappoint but try them each before buying seems like a good idea. Also i found the S6 giving a better sound exp than the S7, i don't know why but while hearing with the 846s something seemed off in the S7. I moved from htc m8 to iphone 6s plus and the sound quality is a lot better. I didn't try the m9 but heard the sound output is really good, hoping the same for 10 also...

I'll probably go to the store and check them out on Monday although I'm not sure to what extent they'll let me check. I'm undecided as I'm buying it as a smartphone as well, not just for audio but it probably will be the audio that swings it as they are both really close as smartphones overall.

Jun 12, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #3,064 of 7,916
Hi Guys! Stumbled on this thread when searching for Audio-Focused Smartphones. Here's the list of what I've researched. Hope it helps.

Vivo X6 Plus – ESS ES9028 DAC / ES9603 Amp w/ Yamaha YSS-205X audio processor
Vivo X6S Plus - Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC / Analog Devices AD45257 Amp
Meizu Pro 5 – ESS ES9018K2M DAC / OPA1612 Amp w/ NXP Transistor
Meizu Pro 6 – Cirrus Logic CS46L36 DAC/Amp w/ NXP TFA9911
ZTE Axon 7 - AKM4961(Recording)+AKM4490(Main) / Dolby Atmos
Lenovo Vibe X3 - ESS Sabre 9018C2M(Main) + Wolfson WM8281 DAC (Recording) / 3x TI OPA1612 Amp / Dolby Atmos
Xiaomi Mi Note Pro - ESS Sabre ES9018K2M DAC / 2-stage TI OPA1612 & ADI ADA4896 Amp (can drive up to 600 ohms)
Ulefone Vienna - NXP Smart Audio PA DAC/Amp
Vivo XPlay 5 Elite/Ultimate - 2x ESS Sabre ES9028 DAC / 3x TI OPA1612 opamp (This is probably the BEST Spec Audio I found)
LG G5 HiFi Plus B&O Module - ESS Sabre ES9028C2M + Sabre9602C
UMI Super - Awinic AW8738 DAC/Amp
Leagoo Shark 1 - Awinic K6 DAC/Amp

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #3,067 of 7,916
On paper, the XPlay 5 Elite has the best audio specs.. It is on the top of my list. However, it should be noted that it has no micro sd slot and the most expensive smartphone on the list. I'm also considering the Axon7 but can't seem to find any info about it's Amp. Anyhow, last week, I ordered the Ulefone Vienna at Banggood Site for $149 but after a few days, they sent me a message that it is out of stock so I refunded my payment. There are some nice audio tests in Youtube for the Vienna. Check it out.

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #3,070 of 7,916
Hey guys, a newbie college kid here.

I'm a music/theatre nerd who has finally saved up enough for a smartphone. I also hope to get some etymotic ear phones soon, but I am very inexperienced in terms of audio quality. The best speakers/earphones I have are bose and skullcandy- oh and an ipod touch. That said, will the HTC 10 really sound that much more impressive with good earphones? I am deciding between that and the s7 edge- which does not have great sound- but honestly has more appeal as a phone. My phone will likely be my default listening device and I do a lot of it, but will I be able to tell the difference between the two? Like I said, I'm a newbie here, so I am open to any other suggestions. I would appreciate the help. :D

I listen to a lot of country, folk, and movie soundtracks if that matters.

Jun 13, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #3,071 of 7,916
  Hey guys, a newbie college kid here.

I'm a music/theatre nerd who has finally saved up enough for a smartphone. I also hope to get some etymotic ear phones soon, but I am very inexperienced in terms of audio quality. The best speakers/earphones I have are bose and skullcandy- oh and an ipod touch. That said, will the HTC 10 really sound that much more impressive with good earphones? I am deciding between that and the s7 edge- which does not have great sound- but honestly has more appeal as a phone. My phone will likely be my default listening device and I do a lot of it, but will I be able to tell the difference between the two? Like I said, I'm a newbie here, so I am open to any other suggestions. I would appreciate the help. :D

I listen to a lot of country, folk, and movie soundtracks if that matters.

You can choose a smartphone that fits your budget on the list I provided. Most of them are Chinese-brand Smartphones. If you want Korean-brand Smartphones, you can choose either LG G5 or V10.. Although a bit pricey compared to most Chinese brands, you can't go wrong with those..

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #3,072 of 7,916
  That said, will the HTC 10 really sound that much more impressive with good earphones? I am deciding between that and the s7 edge- which does not have great sound- but honestly has more appeal as a phone. My phone will likely be my default listening device and I do a lot of it, but will I be able to tell the difference between the two?

If your default listening device is going to be your phone, definitely don't get the S7 Edge. I have and it sounds like mud, very cluttered unengaging sound.
I haven't personally heard the HTC 10, but from what I've read it definitely sounds like the better option haha.

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #3,073 of 7,916
Then to kind resume this huge topic . Can anoyone make a top 10/5/3 phones for audiophile coz by reading and reading i got more and more confused xD I heard a lot good about vivo xplay5 elite and meizu phones to be the top in audio quality .       

And second question what is it that make a phone an audiophile phone. Like what are the best dac/amp on market etc

Jun 13, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #3,074 of 7,916
  Then to kind resume this huge topic . Can anoyone make a top 10/5/3 phones for audiophile coz by reading and reading i got more and more confused xD I heard a lot good about vivo xplay5 elite and meizu phones to be the top in audio quality .       

And second question what is it that make a phone an audiophile phone. Like what are the best dac/amp on market etc

Here's my Top 5 according to Specs :

1. Vivo XPlay 5 Elite/Ultimate - 2x ESS Sabre ES9028 DAC / 3x TI OPA1612 opamp (Flagship DAC by ESS) - $680-700+
2. ZTE Axon 7 - AKM4490(Main) + AKM4961(Recording) / Dolby Atmos (Flagship DAC by Asahi Kasei) (Best Speaker on the list) - $450
3. Lenovo Vibe X3 - ESS Sabre 9018C2M(Main) + Wolfson WM8281 DAC (Recording) / 3x TI OPA1612 Amp / Dolby Atmos - $300+
4. Xiaomi Mi Note Pro - ESS Sabre ES9018K2M DAC / 2-stage TI OPA1612 & ADI ADA4896 Amp (600 ohm Headphones) - $199-200+
5. Vivo X6 Plus – ESS ES9028 DAC / ES9603 Amp w/ Yamaha YSS-205X audio processor - $400+

I may probably buy the Xiaomi Note Pro and Ulefone Vienna 'coz of its cheap price. I'll post my reviews here once they arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back