Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #1,591 of 7,916
Just got iP 6s+, compared to my AK120, I'm pretty impressed especially on the treble even though it's a phone

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #1,592 of 7,916
Oh no... I will keep my v10 for headphones. I don't really think lg v10s camera is better than htc m9+ ois version. But im betting that the m10 will be even better as htc really needs a win next year.

Htc do make really solid phones and my one max is still kicking ass after two years. Minimal lags, very intuitive and customizble sense skin... I am just a big fan. Now I just hope with the competency of the audio out on the v10s, htc will come up with a even better solution to one up their competitor. Prior to v10, htc's flagships was dominating in the audio department on mobile phones sector.

Their last effort the htc a9 also received decent reviews regarding sq. It just isn't quite as good aa the v10. But this shows someone in the company do care about sq in htc. So.... Im keeping my fingers crossed for a better audiophile phone next year^.^

HTC has been given a second chance with the M9+ ois...same sensor as the Xperia Z5's. Too bad that the States don't carry it.
I still think the LG V10 has the upper hand with manual video, 4MB ram, 64GB internal storage and replaceable battery.
I think both LG & HTC are hanging on barely with their current smartphones...

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #1,593 of 7,916
Quote:
  Wonder if anyone has compared lg v10 with meizu mx5 pro ?

On a technical side, they are almost even.

If you live in the US, take the V10 as it supports LTE bands and you can buy it with a contract. And also consider that the DAC in the Meizu is always on AFAIK, where the DAC in the V10 only is the LG music app (or Tidal, with a work around, I presume)..

Faster CPU/GPU: Meizu
More polished Software: LG
Better Camera: LG
Louder Output: Meizu
Interchangable Battery: Only LG
Dual Sim: Only Meizu
USA LTE Bands: Only LG
DAC Always on: Only Meizu
Broader Availability: LG
Bigger: LG
Thinner: Meizu

Just some pros and cons...

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #1,595 of 7,916
FYI: There is a "fix" for the compatibility with the 32bit DAC on apps...thanks to Phascinate!

You can download it and read about it here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v10/themes-apps/dac-fix-hi-fi-dac-everywhere-t3274457

I've tested it with both streaming Spotify and Google Play Music...working.

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #1,597 of 7,916
FYI...no need to work around Tidal, works directly with SABRE 32bit DAC and AMP.
Also higher resolution screen and expandable micro SD capability up to 2TB.

Tidal, Deezer, Spotify....everytime I hear those things on headfi, I'm still asking myself how an audiophile can look after the best equipments, spending hundreds and sometimes thousands to enjoy music at 320kbps?

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #1,598 of 7,916
Tidal, Deezer, Spotify....everytime I hear those things on headfi, I'm still asking myself how an audiophile can look after the best equipments, spending hundreds and sometimes thousands to enjoy music at 320kbps?

Do a DBT - not many audiophiles can reliably tell well encoded 320kbps mp3 from 16/44 lossless. Tidal is lossless.

Cheers,
K

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,600 of 7,916
Do a DBT - not many audiophiles can reliably tell well encoded 320kbps mp3 from 16/44 lossless. Tidal is lossless.

Cheers,
K

Lossless is a sham, many know better. And if it truely is lossless, it come with extra digital noise. I can't listen to more than an hour of lossless files due to excruciating (exagerated) fatigue. Guess what I think about 320 kbps :wink:

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #1,601 of 7,916
Lossless is a sham, many know better. And if it truely is lossless, it come with extra digital noise. I can't listen to more than an hour of lossless files due to excruciating (exagerated) fatigue. Guess what I think about 320 kbps :wink:

So what is it for you then? CDs or Vinyl? I am genuinely curious...
rolleyes.gif

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #1,602 of 7,916
So what is it for you then? CDs or Vinyl? I am genuinely curious... :rolleyes:

I've always wanted to afford vinyl, and a proper set up. It's what I grew up to. When my dad got me a Sony CD player in '88, and I plugged in my dad's $600 seinhizers(?) I knew that quality was worth investing in for me, especially with the prospect of having mixable, portable recordings at that quality. Of course, the year CD burners beacame affordable, mp3's became mainstream. And then iPod.

No sir, I don't like it.

Today ...
After years of trial and error, I'm one of the last to know the insane difference between poorly recorded North American label CD's, and (seems to me) near vinyl quality of a well recorded European remastered CD. That's a general rule, mobile fidelity is American of course.
I make remarkably clean 16-bit .wav files from CD's. I cannot recommend the best way to do this. My way is slow, but tried and tested. I'm using a Sony blu-ray player with a nice and strong digital optical output (not all are equal), a really good optical cable to a Sony HIMD recorder, and use Sony's defunct sonic stage software to convert the Sony file to .wav.

Most American music is released in Europe at a better quality. A great place to find them is at Amazon.co.UK or Amazon.de etc. Most sellers ship internationally.

I'm completely convinced you can't download any music files without adding noise.

Hope that helps :)

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,603 of 7,916
I've always wanted to afford vinyl, and a proper set up. It's what I grew up to. When my dad got me a Sony CD player in '88, and I plugged in my dad's $600 seinhizers(?) I knew that quality was worth investing in for me, especially with the prospect of having mixable, portable recordings at that quality. Of course, the year CD burners beacame affordable, mp3's became mainstream. And then iPod.

No sir, I don't like it.

Today ...
After years of trial and error, I'm one of the last to know the insane difference between poorly recorded North American label CD's, and (seems to me) near vinyl quality of a well recorded European remastered CD. That's a general rule, mobile fidelity is American of course.
I make remarkably clean 16-bit .wav files from CD's. I cannot recommend the best way to do this. My way is slow, but tried and tested. I'm using a Sony blu-ray player with a nice and strong digital optical output (not all are equal), a really good optical cable to a Sony HIMD recorder, and use Sony's defunct sonic stage software to convert the Sony file to .wav.

Most American music is released in Europe at a better quality. A great place to find them is at Amazon.co.UK or Amazon.de etc. Most sellers ship internationally.

I'm completely convinced you can't download any music files without adding noise.

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Very interesting to read, really.

I am also a CD believer (if you can call it that way), well, the collecting aspect of it makes up a huge part of my fascination about the silver disks...
Very unusal way of ripping CD you have there. As I am a student, the laptop´s DVD drive and Exact Audio Copy have to do.
rolleyes.gif

Amazon is also my dru....I mean disk dealer of choice!

Unfortunately Vinyl is just a dream, a small glimpe on a distant audiophile horizon....
But collecting CDs(of mostly not so popular acts) is so (relatively) expensive, which is why I am fighting with the thought of getting a Tidal membership...

Dec 20, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #1,604 of 7,916
.... Is this really a question? :)   keep the M8, sell ip 5.... Take it from an x-iPhone user, I feel your predicament...

Well I didn't check this thread until today but luckily I sold the iPhone a few days ago. I figured i could get more money for the m8 but I really didn't want to get rid of it. It is the best phone I've owned and even the camera that is supposed to suck has been great for me. As good as the iPhone. I'm already on mm skydragon rom and just bought grado sr60 when I lost my porta pros. Very happy now.

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #1,605 of 7,916
Sorry, I forgot to stay on topic :)

I'm on my very first smartphone. In October '14 I went to research buying one and quickly found this forum. After about an hour of reading I quickly bought HTC's One m8. I panicked a bit that I didn't really research anywhere else. So so happy with this phone. Thanks everyone (you know who you are) :)

And I'll say it again ... If you have an m8, use software with a pre-amp you can lower one setting. Now it sounds terrible to me without it (I'm using jet audio).

And sorry for any outbursts. I get upset when people claim to know what others can perceive.

Merry Christmas head-fi ❄

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back