Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #1,336 of 7,916
Well I have a Note 3 so I have to agree with Mython.  The Note 5 release was a pretty big kick in the nuts.  Albeit it does have some appealing qualities like best display, s-pen, superb battery life; but, it's still neutered, more delicate, and a finger print magnet now.  I guess they were trying to appeal to a completely different demographic?  Perhaps their current customers weren't important to them because we didn't amass to enough numbers.  They wanted the Apple crowd instead. And Max 64 gb storage? A lot less after OS and apps.  What a joke.  I sure as hell won't be getting another Note.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #1,337 of 7,916
  Well I have a Note 3 so I have to agree with Mython.  The Note 5 release was a pretty big kick in the nuts.  Albeit it does have some appealing qualities like best display, s-pen, superb battery life; but, it's still neutered, more delicate, and a finger print magnet now.  I guess they were trying to appeal to a completely different demographic?  Perhaps their current customers weren't important to them because we didn't amass to enough numbers.  They wanted the Apple crowd instead. And Max 64 gb storage? A lot less after OS and apps.  What a joke.  I sure as hell won't be getting another Note.

... If not for these 2 flops, non user replaceable battery & storage, this could've been my next phone (the note 5). What kind a move is that ? I already have a 64 gb storage for 3 yrs. I know that's not enough...

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #1,338 of 7,916
What I find the most extraordinary thing about Samsung's move to zero-expansion in their handsets, is the fact that they were on a roll, as the biggest-selling Android competitor to the iPhone, and they didn't even pause for a moment to consider that maybe that was because quite a large chunk of their customers might have been choosing, say, an SG2, instead of an iPhone precisely because the memory expansion and swappable battery were not available from Apple.

In chasing more customers from Apple, they've simply copied Apple's no-expandability, no battery-swapability, approach, and are thus trying to compete DIRECTLY with Apple, which, of course, is a totally stupid thing to do - people will choose an iPhone rather than an iPhone clone, 99.9 times out of a hundred.

Samsung need their heads testing!
blink.gif

I was rather hoping that LG would be more successful with the V10, simply because they are offering memory- expansion and battery-swapability, and I'd like to see that approach to serving their customers being rewarded by their customers.

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #1,339 of 7,916
Hi, guys. Can you recommend a good smartphone with the sound up to $ 250 from aliexpress. I wanted to Meizu MX4 pro, but it was removed from production and sell repaired or reconditioned only The specs are not important - only the sound! Sorry for Google translator.

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #1,340 of 7,916
Hi, guys. Can you recommend a good smartphone with the sound up to $ 250 from aliexpress. I wanted to Meizu MX4 pro, but it was removed from production and sell repaired or reconditioned only The specs are not important - only the sound! Sorry for Google translator.

Any vivo, qiku, xiaomi (some models that have hifi audio) look at specs, alcatel idol 3 5.5 have good audio htc m8, m9 plus, umi iron last

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #1,341 of 7,916
Blackberry Priv seems to have a strong and good sounding headphone output:

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/BlackBerry-PRIV-Review_id4127/page/3

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #1,342 of 7,916
Umm because the S7 is going to have an ESS DAC and this is a head-fi forum asking about phones for sound quality.  Really not hard to understand buddy.   

How will the DAC be implemented? That is the question ! I saw amazing star Cirrus, Sabre and Wolfson dacs on some flagships but in reality those devices sound worst than my old $50 iPod shuffle, last week I listened to the famous MX4 from Meizu and Marshall London, guess what? None of them impressed me, I have way better SQ coming from my Xperia Z3 and my new Huawei Ascend Mate 7, even if I own the Galaxy S6 too, I wouldn't be so enthusiasm about the coming S7, once I hear it, I'll be able to tell you if its sounds good or not, I never trust specs sheets. Really not hard to understand buddy.

Nov 7, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #1,345 of 7,916
How will the DAC be implemented? That is the question ! I saw amazing star Cirrus, Sabre and Wolfson dacs on some flagships but in reality those devices sound worst than my old $50 iPod shuffle, last week I listened to the famous MX4 from Meizu and Marshall London, guess what? None of them impressed me, I have way better SQ coming from my Xperia Z3 and my new Huawei Ascend Mate 7, even if I own the Galaxy S6 too, I wouldn't be so enthusiasm about the coming S7, once I hear it, I'll be able to tell you if its sounds good or not, I never trust specs sheets. Really not hard to understand buddy.

Well if the S7 is getting the ESS DAC it will sound better than any of the phones you mentioned. So if someone wants a Samsung with top quality sound then you wait for the S7. I trust ESS. Sounds amazing in LG V10 which I'd recommend getting now;but, if you don't like the V10 then the S7 would be my second choice if it gets the same DAC.

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #1,346 of 7,916
Hi, I am considering a cheaper option to generally recommended phones (Sony Z3C, HTC M8/M9 ...) with good quality audio output and with the support for AptX ... currently considerd: Xperia M4 Aqua, Moto G (3rd gen). Idol 3 seems to not have the AptX. Thanks.

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #1,348 of 7,916
Any opinions on this iphone DAC case

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Arcam-MusicBoost-is-an-iPhone-6-case-with-dedicated-DAC-headphone-amp-and-internal-battery_id75528

if you want to end up getting a separate dac, may as well going with Chord Mojo (599$).  Very portable, and high-end for audio quality specs.  If phone with dedicated DAC inside, now would be V10 from LG.  The S7 may have better spec, but it wont be here for a few months, and who knows how the S7 would perform ? My Wolfson Note 4 sounds like xhit.

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,349 of 7,916
Well if the S7 is getting the ESS DAC it will sound better than any of the phones you mentioned. So if someone wants a Samsung with top quality sound then you wait for the S7. I trust ESS. Sounds amazing in LG V10 which I'd recommend getting now;but, if you don't like the V10 then the S7 would be my second choice if it gets the same DAC.

I trust ESS dacs too....but only in dedicated daps such as my year old Ibasso DX90 or in the new Fiio X7, experience taught me that smartphones are rarely up to expectations, you can read out amazing specs sheets as mentioned in my previous post, but in real life you'll have to try many combos (headphones, iems and portable amps) along with a couple of paid and root applications to get what you're looking for in terms of SQ, on the other side with dedicated dacs you'll just have to plug and play, I never touched equilizer settings on my Astell & Kern AK120II and only slight setup on my iPod touch 5th gen, Ibasso DX90 and Fiio X1, but since I bought the Galaxy S6, I'm still searching and pairing, hoping to find heaven out of it since more than 3 months...

I haven't auditioned the LG V10 but it's on my list, if it impress me then I'll buy it, I had the G3 and it was good enough with my Shure SE846, I didn't bought the G4 because it has very poor SQ. Regarding the upcoming S7, and considering what I've faced with the S6, I will give it a try in shops first, I won't buy it online blindly without knowing what I'm receiving. I really hate " surprise " :)

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #1,350 of 7,916
 Let me throw this out there,,,,,,,You have $1000 clams (USD) to spend on the best possible smartphone and IEM what would you choose?  I'm currently thinking the new Blackberry Priv with some Sennheisser IE-80's. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back