Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #1,412 of 7,916

maxjstern, thanx for quick laconic answer :wink:

so you're confirming this (DSD support) or you're 'quite sure' or ?

I do know of these you mention having more dedicated DACs 

No problem.
I have to admit that I am guessing a bit here. The technical potential is there, no doubt. The DACs all have the ability to play DSD natively. Otherwise apps like Onkyo HF, UAPP or Neutron can help you out there. It´s always up to the companies if they implent it in their decoding software like Sony. I wish I could be more certain, nevertheless I hope that I could be of some help...

Maybe this site helps: www.devicespecifications.com

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,415 of 7,916
Lg v10 player dsd natively. I have a few tracks as samples, and it plays without issue.

man i now regret buying the note 5 , i should have bought the lg v10 man

first its cheaper and checks so many boxes, i did not hear the v10 but everyone says its so great sounding

i should have overlooked the beautiful look of the note 5 and went with the v10

Nov 19, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #1,417 of 7,916
Actually, Native DSD is still unclear for most smartphone specs.

Most of smartphone can play DSD but mostly it is a downsampling version of it so its quality quite cannot be differentiated much.

Smartphone company still don't give a raise on native DSD much even though their DAC can support it natively.

Still a big step smartphone needs to go through in the future.

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #1,418 of 7,916
My Meizu Pro 5 has amazing SQ. It's much more refined than my old HTC One M9

Could you elaborate on that? With what head-fi gear are you listening? What music are you listening? In the gsmarena review, the Pro 5 got slashed for the distortion and if I look at the graph, it is very distorted > 8kHz. Was the review sample a dud?

Nov 19, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #1,419 of 7,916
  Could you elaborate on that? With what head-fi gear are you listening? What music are you listening? In the gsmarena review, the Pro 5 got slashed for the distortion and if I look at the graph, it is very distorted > 8kHz. Was the review sample a dud?

The Pro 5 has an overall smoother sound and easier to listen for a long period of time than the One M9 which can sound a bit harsh sometimes even with boomsound turned off. I'm using my Sony MDR-1A most of the times with it. I saw the review of gsmarena but I don't know to which extent my ears would notice the distortion. That's why I still decided to go for it. I did not hear any distortion yet with all the rock, hip hop, pop and indie FLAC tracks I tried on it.

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #1,420 of 7,916
As I have tried 5 pro for a week, I see it as warm and smooth with nice 3D representation. Feel like a good "Analog" sound.
I use 1964 V6S and listening to J-music like Utada Hikaru. However, it lacks treble and some micro detail which I expect it to be there more.

And I don't see the distortion over all my playlist covering all spectrum of music genre. so I think graph is just one side of coin. The real one is to buy and try it yourself. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #1,421 of 7,916
Actually, Native DSD is still unclear for most smartphone specs.

Most of smartphone can play DSD but mostly it is a downsampling version of it so its quality quite cannot be differentiated much.

Smartphone company still don't give a raise on native DSD much even though their DAC can support it natively.

Still a big step smartphone needs to go through in the future.

True, but the V10 isn't down sampling as far as I know. When dsd comes on, it shows hifi and the eq is disabled, if that means anything. Only happens when I play dsd.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,422 of 7,916
I am not sure it can be an indicator for native dsd. It might implant in music program that if playing themusic.dsf/dsd, it will function hifi symbol+no eq avail.

We might need to see inside kernel whether there is something like dsd.decoder codec or not. If presence, it seems to be converted to pcm. But if not, it really a native dsd player.

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #1,423 of 7,916
  The Pro 5 has an overall smoother sound and easier to listen for a long period of time than the One M9 which can sound a bit harsh sometimes even with boomsound turned off. I'm using my Sony MDR-1A most of the times with it. I saw the review of gsmarena but I don't know to which extent my ears would notice the distortion. That's why I still decided to go for it. I did not hear any distortion yet with all the rock, hip hop, pop and indie FLAC tracks I tried on it.

Thanks for sharing and I hope you can answer one question more, how is the power level? The Sony MDR-A1 is quite sensitive so how loud do you have to play for normal loudness levels and is it bearable at the max? Thanks in advance for your response.

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #1,424 of 7,916
  As I have tried 5 pro for a week, I see it as warm and smooth with nice 3D representation. Feel like a good "Analog" sound.
I use 1964 V6S and listening to J-music like Utada Hikaru. However, it lacks treble and some micro detail which I expect it to be there more.

And I don't see the distortion over all my playlist covering all spectrum of music genre. so I think graph is just one side of coin. The real one is to buy and try it yourself. 

Yeah, but I have to let it be imported. I do not see any european warehouses with inventory so it is an expensive gamble.

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #1,425 of 7,916
is the chip in the letv one phones the same as the lg V10? Ive just checked prices and the letv one pro is suprisingly affordable on ebay UK

Iam not sure about the DAC,there are different statements in different websites.

there’s
LeTV’s custom-made DAC and AKG-
tuned audio
http://www.stuff.tv/in/news/letvs-new-le-max-made-out-aluminium-and-worlds-first-phone-usb-type-c-port

LeHiFi and audio
chip built by AKG

http://www.fonearena.com/blog/137339/letv-le-1pro-and-le-max-with-quad-hd-displays-snapdragon-810-soc-4gb-ram-and-le-1-announced.html

ESS-LeTV custom Hi-Fi DAC

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/android-user-group-323/letv-phone-1-1-pro-max-5024514.html

DTS
ESS
Technology
SRS -
Sound
Retrival
System
THD + N -
Total
harmonic
distortion
and noise