Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #6,946 of 7,916
So my iPhones 5S finally broke, started to bug me having the same phone for such a long time but it kept on running (I'll get it to service tomorrow and will see if they can fix it but I believe it's done).

What is the best smartphone that I can get with no budget limit? I heard the LG v20 is great because of the high impedance headphones feature which does seem pretty useful.

I haven't given such purchases much thought before, always went for Apple and was kinda happy back then.

Thanks in advance.

If you want an all around good phone then get the HTC 10.
Its still debated if the V20 actually has any better SQ (many say no) but the HTC 10 is definitely a better phone. But it also depends on what size of phone you want, if you go from an iPhone 5S to a V20 it will be monstrous in comparison where the HTC 10 is a tad bit smaller.

Overall both are good choices it really just depends on what you are looking for.

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #6,954 of 7,916
For any Canadians reading this, good news: The V20 will be available at Rogers and Bell. Six months late, but better than nothing. Without a term, Bell is charging $999.00 (yes Canadians get abused and ESPECIALLY for a six month old phone).

Shane D

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #6,955 of 7,916
What's the benefit of having a balanced 2.5mm output over a conventional 3.5mm one ?

Mainly because double dac create better SNR > background is blacker

Also it has better power output in case you use with High-Imp Fullsize.

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #6,956 of 7,916
[COLOR=111111]free application?[/COLOR]

Ive thought this question many times and i use poweramp. Been using it for 5 years and its the best compromise on ui and functionality. Some may say neutron is the best music app but the ui is utter **** and the increase in audio quality is minimal if not a placebo to me. If your phone is rooted and has a custom recovery, you should look into audio mods. I usually steer clear of them however since god knows how it screws up the source quality.

If anyone here is rooted then you should use a file explorer and delete the soundfx folder in the lib folder in the system partition. Makes the audio bypass any digital processing which i prefer. Of course, even though on my m9 its harmless, its a good idea to keep a backup just incase. :wink:

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #6,958 of 7,916
Nonetheless, I cannot fully say that Balance is always better than single end. It is all about implementation among DAPs. There are some good DAP without balance i.e. QP1R or LPG.

It is just that in case the DAP provides both balance and single end, I can say that balance is always better (at least in theory) than single end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back