Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #6,406 of 7,916
Well I think the big reason for not hearing so much about the xplay is that it is hard to buy in the western world and vivo doesn't seem to be interested in marketing the xplay in the western world. I spent a lot of time trying to buy xplay 5s but couldn't because they stopped selling them. Now I am just waiting for someone to review it here before I go all in.

vivo stopped selling 5s months ago in China, 6 is in production but it seems vivo is not very enthusiastic in marketing it...maybe its margin is not high enough for vivo

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #6,407 of 7,916
How much did you pay? I've heard about vivo a lot on this thread actually i think it's usually the price why you don't hear too much about it....Most people here are looking for budget or inexpensive options, also was the v10 in regular mode, aux or high gain?

I bought it around 300usd from a friend who went on a holiday to beijing,bought it n didnt like it. Yes i agree it is so hard to get this phone. I tested it with V10 in regular mode. IMHO xplay5s is a keeper as a DAP. Too bad at the moment it didnt support tidal on hifi mode

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #6,408 of 7,916
I bought it around 300usd from a friend who went on a holiday to beijing,bought it n didnt like it. Yes i agree it is so hard to get this phone. I tested it with V10 in regular mode. IMHO xplay5s is a keeper as a DAP. Too bad at the moment it didnt support tidal on hifi mode

Nice! You got a good deal too,so you can't enable tidal in the settings to use the hi-fi chip? hopefully a workaround will pop up soon or maybe request it in the Vivo forums? .... in the meantime enjoy

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #6,410 of 7,916
This a million dollar question...I also want a nice audiophile smartphone rather than a dap. I have sony Z3, buts it cant drive high impedance h.phones. I listened shortly to lg v10, and htc m9. They sound nice and clean, but sibilant, and one need bass heavy iems in order to get nice bass punch.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #6,411 of 7,916
This a million dollar question...I also want a nice audiophile smartphone rather than a dap. I have sony Z3, buts it cant drive high impedance h.phones. I listened shortly to lg v10, and htc m9. They sound nice and clean, but sibilant, and one need bass heavy iems in order to get nice bass punch.

How would you compare v10 and m9 to a DAP?

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #6,413 of 7,916
How would you compare v10 and m9 to a DAP?

Sulbh Less sibilant would probably be the Axon 7 and Axon 7 Mini, it has a more bottom heavy sound the v10 has better treble extension so if your headphones aren't flat you notice, however the soundstage can't match the v10 and I've never used DAPs so can't compare, it has a more movie like personal soundstage it's not as airy as the v10,they also need more volume steps it's either too loud or too quiet so I used the Dolby EQ to slightly boost the volume and then reduced the middle band slightly for less shrill on the vocals, as far as driving headphones with really high impedance such as 600ohm I'm not so sure but it does get really loud with 64ohm open backs without hitting max or raising the EQ for more volume....bear in mind I have the regular Axon the Axon mini is louder and a little cleaner than mine.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #6,414 of 7,916
Sulbh Less sibilant would probably be the Axon 7 and Axon 7 Mini, it has a more bottom heavy sound the v10 has better treble extension so if your headphones aren't flat you notice, however the soundstage can't match the v10 and I've never used DAPs so can't compare, it has a more movie like personal soundstage it's not as airy as the v10,they also need more volume steps it's either too loud or too quiet so I used the Dolby EQ to slightly boost the volume and then reduced the middle band slightly for less shrill on the vocals, as far as driving headphones with really high impedance such as 600ohm I'm not so sure but it does get really loud with 64ohm open backs without hitting max or raising the EQ for more volume....bear in mind I have the regular Axon the Axon mini is louder and a little cleaner than mine.

Have you personally compared axon 7 and axon 7 mini? How better is axon 7 mini compared to regular axon 7?

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #6,416 of 7,916
Have you personally compared axon 7 and axon 7 mini? How better is axon 7 mini compared to regular axon 7?

I heard the mini for a few minutes and imo it's a little better than the Axon, I couldn't test it for too long but it sounds a little smoother, in no way am I saying the Axon or Axon Mini is bad but for sheer quality (for the phones you are interested in) it would come down to the v10 and Le Max, from mwhat I've learned from artpiggo Le max pulls all the details out of your music while v10 would have better vocals and better emotion, however the v10 uses Snapdragon 808, Le Max 810 and Axon Mini 617....I don't like those chips they produce too much heat, v10 has a bootloop issue because of this and while you may not feel the heat on the outside they still heat up so the battery is not very efficient under load with those chips, nobody has reported this with the Axon Mini last time I checked it only had a few software bugs but that chip is why I bought the regular Axon for $350 and I'm very happy even though the mini is a little better in sound I can still buy a Le Max or v10 one day if I need an extra toy but for now I'm just loving this phone.

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #6,417 of 7,916
I heard the mini for a few minutes and imo it's a little better than the Axon, I couldn't test it for too long but it sounds a little smoother, in no way am I saying the Axon or Axon Mini is bad but for sheer quality (for the phones you are interested in) it would come down to the v10 and Le Max, from mwhat I've learned from artpiggo Le max pulls all the details out of your music while v10 would have better vocals and better emotion, however the v10 uses Snapdragon 808, Le Max 810 and Axon Mini 617....I don't like those chips they produce too much heat, v10 has a bootloop issue because of this and while you may not feel the heat on the outside they still heat up so the battery is not very efficient under load with those chips, nobody has reported this with the Axon Mini last time I checked it only had a few software bugs but that chip is why I bought the regular Axon for $350 and I'm very happy even though the mini is a little better in sound I can still buy a Le Max or v10 one day if I need an extra toy but for now I'm just loving this phone.

So axon 7 vs axon 7 mini vs v10 vs le max which one is best in terms of sound?

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #6,418 of 7,916
So axon 7 vs axon 7 mini vs v10 vs le max which one is best in terms of sound?

Whats funny I've always had to ask how the sound on the Le Max was until today lol for overall quality, micro details and treble vibrancy especially for rock, lively musical soundstage though a little cold sounding I give it to Le Max, for a beefier sound with a more personal soundstage, details are there but not as forward but more emotion (to my ears) and little less exciting then you go Axon 7/Mini, I couldve easily said Le Max >Axon 7 Mini> Axon 7 but mostly sound is dependent on YOUR personal taste and equipment so I decided to describe them, btw this was with Philips SPH9500 open back headphones.

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #6,419 of 7,916
artpiggo so I finally got to listen to Le Max today for about an hour or so while working and I gotta say every device I've heard x800, v10, Le Max and even Axon has the exact sound signature to my ears as you described it....Or you did the Jedi mind trick on me lol , you labeled Le Max "god of rock" and I didn't want to stop listening to Linkin Park from Spotify no less.... Excellent sounding device x800 no match for quality imo

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #6,420 of 7,916
Whats funny I've always had to ask how the sound on the Le Max was until today lol for overall quality, micro details and treble vibrancy especially for rock, lively musical soundstage though a little cold sounding I give it to Le Max, for a beefier sound with a more personal soundstage, details are there but not as forward but more emotion (to my ears) and little less exciting then you go Axon 7/Mini, I couldve easily said Le Max >Axon 7 Mini> Axon 7 but mostly sound is dependent on YOUR personal taste and equipment so I decided to describe them, btw this was with Philips SPH9500 open back headphones.

Thanks,its such a shame lemax 2 is inferior in terms of sound compared to lemax.What was leeco thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back