Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #4,997 of 7,916
  My big hope for the year (Mi Note 2) turned out to be a dud (audiophilically).
Meizu Pro 6 took a step backwards.
Le Eco decided to go jackless (and thus DAC-less as well)
Axon 7 is good enough, but I'm looking for wow-factor, not just 'good enough'
LG V20 is the only contender left, but the fear of bootloops has a strong grip on my wallet.
Vivo XPlay 5 seems like it could be the best of the year, but the price tag is a huge turn off.
HTC is only 5 inches... I like bigger phones for watching movies and overall media enjoyment

Anyone know of future phones which could be the bright hope for our audiophile needs?

x2. My big worry is actually that the big Alixpress promo is on 11.11, and I'm leaving my country on December 3rd and not coming back for 3 months... So what if I order the Vivo Xplay 5 and it doesn't arrive on time? :-D

Only phone available in my country is Meizu Pro 5, but the price is $350, and the Vivo Xplay will sell for $460 on 11.11, plus the $50 coupon if the order is over 500, that makes it $410, and then custom fees... But the timing... Ah :-D I'm in quite a pickle here! :/

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #4,998 of 7,916
x2. My big worry is actually that the big Alixpress promo is on 11.11, and I'm leaving my country on December 3rd and not coming back for 3 months... So what if I order the Vivo Xplay 5 and it doesn't arrive on time? :-D

Only phone available in my country is Meizu Pro 5, but the price is $350, and the Vivo Xplay will sell for $460 on 11.11, plus the $50 coupon if the order is over 500, that makes it $410, and then custom fees... But the timing... Ah :-D I'm in quite a pickle here! :/

Whoa.. what!? Where is this deal you speak of??? $50 coupon? Link please!!

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #4,999 of 7,916
You need to be a 1st time app user though. Here's the link: http://sale.aliexpress.com/__pc/savemoreontheapppc022016.htm

It will also be possible to "buy coupons" in a few days, but I have no clue what the prices are :)

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #5,000 of 7,916
There is no such thing as golden ears. However, there is experiences, and familiarity. It is human nature.

a person who cook rice with the same setup to B person with the differences that A is 1 year experience and B is 10 years. The B person always do it cleaner, faster, and have better outcome even when he doesn't pay attentions.

The same for basket ball player. Yet, there are gift with birth and muscles arrangements...etc...let's say both player with the same built. A person who practice shooting ball every day for 8 hours will always do better than a person who only practice for 10 minutes a day

Same thing for martial artist, everyone is capable of doing kungfu and martial arts...but only the one who practice everyday can do better...ultimately the person who not only practice, but battle in real life and death situations over and over would do much much better.....

You will find this human nature every where...because it is nature.

It's funny how you take the opposite stance, and you still forget half of the picture.

Training and experience will help increasing your performance in any domain, but the level of your innate abilities also affects immensely how you will perform.
You can train in a sport like hell for 20 years and still be beaten by someone who has trained less or as much as you but just has more innate talent than you'll ever have.

It is the same for ears. There are musicians/people who have golden ears, they hear details, harmonics, instrument arrangements and other things that are just inaudible to the majority of us.
Same for singers, some are born with "perfect hearing" and will always sing with a perfect pitch, others will never be able to do it even with insane training.

Of course if you hear the same music track over and over, you can also improve your hearing and detect more things, but we're not all born equal, and no amount of training will ever fill the gap.
That's life, complex and unfair. If will and training were enough to achieve anything, the world would be a much more amazing place.

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #5,001 of 7,916
  It's funny how you take the opposite stance, and you still forget half of the picture.

Training and experience will help increasing your performance in any domain, but the level of your innate abilities also affects immensely how you will perform.
You can train in a sport like hell for 20 years and still be beaten by someone who has trained less or as much as you but just has more innate talent than you'll ever have.

It is the same for ears. There are musicians/people who have golden ears, they hear details, harmonics, instrument arrangements and other things that are just inaudible to the majority of us.
Same for singers, some are born with "perfect hearing" and will always sing with a perfect pitch, others will never be able to do it even with insane training.

Of course if you hear the same music track over and over, you can also improve your hearing and detect more things, but we're not all born equal, and no amount of training will ever fill the gap.
That's life, complex and unfair. If will and training were enough to achieve anything, the world would be a much more amazing place.

100% agree with this.  Some are born with high intelligence, some were born to hit a ball thrown at them at 97mph, some were born with the ability to toss a ball through a ring 10 feet high from 20 feet away.  Its just there.  Training may get you close to some of these highly talented individuals, but you'll be fighting that uphill battle your whole life.

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #5,002 of 7,916
  I know this is gonna be off topic, but I think the sports analogy is kinda fitting, actually.

Yeah, there's a HUGE gap between naturally talented pros and the average guy on the streets. No amount of training will help you chase down the WR who ran 40 yards at 4.3.

However, if dude actually DOES train all day, every day - there should be some improvement to the point where the difference isn't so obvious. I'm sorry, but I don't buy that the average joe who works 9-5 to support a family is capable of putting in the amount of training referred to in your analogy.

Heck, even the legendary Bruce Lee said - I don't fear the man who has trained a thousand kicks; I fear the man who has trained one kick a thousand times.

Ok, back on the topic of smartphones - anyone else considering just waiting for the next gen of SD830/Exynos smartphones?

My big hope for the year (Mi Note 2) turned out to be a dud (audiophilically).
Meizu Pro 6 took a step backwards.
Le Eco decided to go jackless (and thus DAC-less as well)
Axon 7 is good enough, but I'm looking for wow-factor, not just 'good enough'
LG V20 is the only contender left, but the fear of bootloops has a strong grip on my wallet.
Vivo XPlay 5 seems like it could be the best of the year, but the price tag is a huge turn off.
HTC is only 5 inches... I like bigger phones for watching movies and overall media enjoyment

Anyone know of future phones which could be the bright hope for our audiophile needs?

Don't think you understood.  I know athletes with talent that do nothing but drink and are all-stars in their respective fields.  I know their teammates that do not have the skill but work hard every day, hours upon hours, just to be almost as good as those that just have the talent.  They can practice 20 hours a day and the hungover, alcoholic is just better.

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #5,006 of 7,916
Does it even matter if there is a difference between 320kpbs and Flac? If a person is sure he/she can hear it, then cool. If another person is sure he/she can't hear it, then cool. None is better than the other because, like time, sensations and our understanding of this world are relative.

Back to topic - Anybody knows the difference between Vivo Xplay 5 and Vivo Xplay 5 Elite?

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #5,007 of 7,916
i was finally able to compare my htc 10 to the lg v20.. i wouldnt say the v20 blew the htc away but it did sound slightly crisper in treble and overall resolution, but the htc has greater musicality and more fun to listen to, i like the mids n bass more, SQ aside i think the htc is still a much better phone in hardware, software, form factor, etc. although im a fan of smaller screens admittedly

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #5,009 of 7,916
Does it even matter if there is a difference between 320kpbs and Flac? If a person is sure he/she can hear it, then cool. If another person is sure he/she can't hear it, then cool. None is better than the other because, like time, sensations and our understanding of this world are relative.

Back to topic - Anybody knows the difference between Vivo Xplay 5 and Vivo Xplay 5 Elite?

Actually it's 2 dac + 3 amp .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back