Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #4,981 of 7,916
Battery life is important to me (ATM I have a 6000mah phone), however the Vivo Xplay 5 brags it has a QHD dual-edge Super AMOLED display? That one is easy on the battery if run on lowest light, right? (which for me is 99% of the time)

As for more than 320kbps - gotta say ditto :) I have some flac tunes, and some 320kbps (both from Bandcamp), and can't really tell the difference... Maybe it will change when I buy a phone with proper audio :-D

It's not because of your phone, but because no one can distinguish 320 MP3 and FLAC atm.

BTW does anyone know where I can buy Vivo X5s/Ultimate? Even AliExpress runs out of that item.

Nov 5, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #4,983 of 7,916
It's not because of your phone, but because no one can distinguish 320 MP3 and FLAC atm.

BTW does anyone know where I can buy Vivo X5s/Ultimate? Even AliExpress runs out of that item.

Imo source and your earpiece could make a difference as well. Differentiating flacs and mp3 320 is not really easy but with my K 500 Ohms, I think it performs really well on detail retrieval. Flacs sounded smoother than MP3 320

Nov 5, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #4,986 of 7,916
I've seen many people claim they are able of distinguish 320 MP3 and lossless musics but none ever can provide proofs, simply because the truth is there is no audible differences among them.

Many can, in blind tests. I have. I find it easy to hear the high pass filter in the MP3 on a musical system. Speakers also make it easier to hear as the spacial information is less defined on MP3.

However, we should probably have this discussion over in the sound science section. I don't go there much as they are a pretty closed minded (and eared) bitchy lot over there.

Now AAC I'll admit is a lot tougher. I can hear 192kb/s vpr vs lossless, but 320kb/s is harder.

Nov 5, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #4,987 of 7,916
Many can, in blind tests. I have. I find it easy to hear the high pass filter in the MP3 on a musical system. Speakers also make it easier to hear as the spacial information is less defined on MP3.

However, we should probably have this discussion over in the sound science section. I don't go there much as they are a pretty closed minded (and eared) bitchy lot over there.

Now AAC I'll admit is a lot tougher. I can hear 192kb/s vpr vs lossless, but 320kb/s is harder.

Yeah, you can, as I believe some very special people with golden ear have that ability. Let's not beat the dead horse all over again, as there will be no proof ever provided whatsoever, as 1000th times in sound science (same pattern: some claim they can, others ask for proof, then tons of arguing, name calling and in the end there still is no evidence). BTW it's VBR not VPR.

Back to the topic, is there any Vivo Xplay 5 Elite here?

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #4,989 of 7,916
Yeah, you can, as I believe some very special people with golden ear have that ability. Let's not beat the dead horse all over again, as there will be no proof ever provided whatsoever, as 1000th times in sound science (same pattern: some claim they can, others ask for proof, then tons of arguing, name calling and in the end there still is no evidence). BTW it's VBR not VPR.

Back to the topic, is there any Vivo Xplay 5 Elite here?

I don't believe in golden ears.  I've worked with the highly trained ears types, and they often miss the music.  I just believe in closed mined and open minded.  People who can repeat the test, and not know they will not hear anything before they start, because they are convinced there can be no difference.

I really wish there were better discussions in sound science.

Shall I type something incorrectly to make you feel better?

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #4,990 of 7,916
I don't believe in golden ears.  I've worked with the highly trained ears types, and they often miss the music.  I just believe in closed mined and open minded.  People who can repeat the test, and not know they will not hear anything before they start, because they are convinced there can be no difference.

I really wish there were better discussions in sound science.

Shall I type something incorrectly to make you feel better?

There is no such thing as golden ears. However, there is experiences, and familiarity. It is human nature.

a person who cook rice with the same setup to B person with the differences that A is 1 year experience and B is 10 years. The B person always do it cleaner, faster, and have better outcome even when he doesn't pay attentions.

The same for basket ball player. Yet, there are gift with birth and muscles arrangements...etc...let's say both player with the same built. A person who practice shooting ball every day for 8 hours will always do better than a person who only practice for 10 minutes a day

Same thing for martial artist, everyone is capable of doing kungfu and martial arts...but only the one who practice everyday can do better...ultimately the person who not only practice, but battle in real life and death situations over and over would do much much better.....

You will find this human nature every where...because it is nature.

Should I say more ?

Ears and music is the same. A person who listen to the same song over 10 years, and he would be able to tell every chances from each setup to another. When a person who only listen to that very same song only listen to it recently, he wouldn't be able to tell.

In the end, yes, there are changes and improvements, and those very trained people are so dedicated to their hobby and job, they are trade secret for manufacturers. They would neve disclose their hearing and observations to anyone else beside their employers. Engineers use their finding and together with research and equipment, goals, etc...etc...to engineer new amplifier, headphones, players, etc...etc.

If there is no perceivable changes, we will only have 1 headphones, 1 player, 1 smartphone, and one of everything....could you hear and observe it yourself ? Depend, do you know how ? If you don't, then go read review on people who can.

Again, the ability to observe and hear the changes are not a gift, it is a curse. Hardcore enthusiasm tend to be able to tell, because they only collect so much song tracks, then listen to it for hours everyday....for years....years....and years...this result in "upgradatis". They want to upgrade to break away from the same thing they hear for years....they don't want to move on from their library, so they move on by buying new gears and hear the changes...including cables, connectors, plugs....etc....etc.

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #4,991 of 7,916
The people here are bonkers. I never even realised that people could consider the quality the same until I people claiming it on headfi. Sure, there are horrible FLAC files, but that doesn't mean there's no audible differences between some or most of the 320 and flac.

Like people saying burn in isn't real. Just depends on the product. My musicmaker TK13's bass transformed within the first 10 hours but on most of my stuff I haven't noticed anything.

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #4,992 of 7,916
Man this sounds like classical music, I mean a few centuries old stuff.

There is only so much of it, and then there are only a handful of people in the whole world who can sing it right anyway.

Turns out that you will hear the same tunes over and over all your life (or what's left of it, cause many people only go there after they age somewhat). At some point the people singing the tunes might change because the older ones died or something but the tunes themselves are always the same ones.

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #4,993 of 7,916
There is no such thing as golden ears. However, there is experiences, and familiarity. It is human nature.

a person who cook rice with the same setup to B person with the differences that A is 1 year experience and B is 10 years. The B person always do it cleaner, faster, and have better outcome even when he doesn't pay attentions.

The same for basket ball player. Yet, there are gift with birth and muscles arrangements...etc...let's say both player with the same built. A person who practice shooting ball every day for 8 hours will always do better than a person who only practice for 10 minutes a day

Same thing for martial artist, everyone is capable of doing kungfu and martial arts...but only the one who practice everyday can do better...ultimately the person who not only practice, but battle in real life and death situations over and over would do much much better.....

You will find this human nature every where...because it is nature.

Should I say more ?

Ears and music is the same. A person who listen to the same song over 10 years, and he would be able to tell every chances from each setup to another. When a person who only listen to that very same song only listen to it recently, he wouldn't be able to tell.

In the end, yes, there are changes and improvements, and those very trained people are so dedicated to their hobby and job, they are trade secret for manufacturers. They would neve disclose their hearing and observations to anyone else beside their employers. Engineers use their finding and together with research and equipment, goals, etc...etc...to engineer new amplifier, headphones, players, etc...etc.

If there is no perceivable changes, we will only have 1 headphones, 1 player, 1 smartphone, and one of everything....could you hear and observe it yourself ? Depend, do you know how ? If you don't, then go read review on people who can.

Again, the ability to observe and hear the changes are not a gift, it is a curse. Hardcore enthusiasm tend to be able to tell, because they only collect so much song tracks, then listen to it for hours everyday....for years....years....and years...this result in "upgradatis". They want to upgrade to break away from the same thing they hear for years....they don't want to move on from their library, so they move on by buying new gears and hear the changes...including cables, connectors, plugs....etc....etc.

A lot of truth there.

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #4,994 of 7,916

A lot of truth there.

Not so sure that analogy is that  accurate.  I live on a street with many professional baseball players.  There is a whole lot of natural talent in that game.  The guys that go out every night, get drunk and have hangovers are often the guys the next day that hit two home runs or pitch a 7 inning 2 hit shutout.  While the guy with a family that practices all day and goes to bed early goes 0 for 4 with 2 strikeouts.  I see it happen ALL the time.  A guy on my street won the world series last year.  Practice?! We talking about practice!!!???

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #4,995 of 7,916
I know this is gonna be off topic, but I think the sports analogy is kinda fitting, actually.

Yeah, there's a HUGE gap between naturally talented pros and the average guy on the streets. No amount of training will help you chase down the WR who ran 40 yards at 4.3. 

However, if dude actually DOES train all day, every day - there should be some improvement to the point where the difference isn't so obvious. I'm sorry, but I don't buy that the average joe who works 9-5 to support a family is capable of putting in the amount of training referred to in your analogy.

Heck, even the legendary Bruce Lee said - I don't fear the man who has trained a thousand kicks; I fear the man who has trained one kick a thousand times.

Ok, back on the topic of smartphones - anyone else considering just waiting for the next gen of SD830/Exynos smartphones?

My big hope for the year (Mi Note 2) turned out to be a dud (audiophilically).
Meizu Pro 6 took a step backwards.
Le Eco decided to go jackless (and thus DAC-less as well)
Axon 7 is good enough, but I'm looking for wow-factor, not just 'good enough'
LG V20 is the only contender left, but the fear of bootloops has a strong grip on my wallet.
Vivo XPlay 5 seems like it could be the best of the year, but the price tag is a huge turn off.
HTC is only 5 inches... I like bigger phones for watching movies and overall media enjoyment

Anyone know of future phones which could be the bright hope for our audiophile needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back