Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #3,616 of 7,916
So I've received my mi note pro. I'm very happy with it. Sound is fine, phone is good quality. I'm just not sure how this hi-fi dać works. With Poweramp Alpha app is showing me that it uses Snapdragon 24bits no matter which option i choose in phone properties. Sound changes though.

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #3,618 of 7,916
But anyways, the aforementioned Ulefone Vienna seems to be the first HiFI budget smartphone indeed. People that have heard it say that it's a pretty decent phone with a very stock UI and good headphone output. Speaker seems to be loud but not very good and uninspiringly placed on the device

To be fair, the speaker for the LG V10 is also "uninspiringly placed", and one of the common gripes is that it doesn't have a second for stereo output (like other flagships do when held in landscape). That said, if I'm buying a phone with a headphone amp in it, it's because I'm going to plug my guaranteed excellent head speakers into it. So, if that new phone's DAC/amp are placed in a well-engineered signal chain, it could bring a good audiophile experience to more people.

I've been supremely happy with my LG V10, but it is a battery hog and gets hot as a firecracker if you do anything with it (especially involving any extra circuitry, like GPS/maps, camera [there is a quick camera option that gets enabled in my pocket every so often], or the HiFi DAC). Maybe having a phone with a good battery and smaller processor would actually give you a better sound-centric experience if you don't need a pocket supercomputer.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #3,619 of 7,916
  Meizu Pro 5 audio review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10402/the-meizu-pro-5-review/7

I personally enjoy the Pro 5, it's your typical 9018K2M SQ, very neutral, analytical.
My only gripe is with the Hi-Fi menu, and I wouldn't even call this a menu.

Why the hell list a choice with Auto, Low Gain, High Gain and Line Out when you cannot choose Low or High Gain manually ?
This Auto feature which can't be deactivated just suck, some of my IEMs are detected as Low Gain types and I have crank up the volume to 90-95% to get a decent volume.
And from what I tested with an old AK240MKII (64ohm), the volume difference between low and high gain is not that huge that you would fry your IEMs using the High Gain mode.

Please let me choose the gain I want to use myself (especially High Gain).

Also, the EQ is pretty much useless, it's similar to AK EQ, you get a -10dB as as soon as you touch one band, which makes twinking an awful experience. But the sound is neutral enough that you shouldn't need the EQ if you choose earphones to your liking.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #3,620 of 7,916
So I've received my mi note pro. I'm very happy with it. Sound is fine, phone is good quality. I'm just not sure how this hi-fi dać works. With Poweramp Alpha app is showing me that it uses Snapdragon 24bits no matter which option i choose in phone properties. Sound changes though.

Had the same problem. But it does use the HI-FI mode even in PowerAmp. One initial check that I did was load up the default music app at the same time with PowerAmp and that usually kicks in the hi-fi mode automatically (for all apps). I'm imagining it's a hardware thing.
This has happened only after cold restarts or the first time I install the apps on it. Ever since it's been seamless.

How do you find the sound?

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #3,621 of 7,916
Overall---> great. I dont know why sometimes the sound blows me away with depth and resolution but sometimes it just meh. That's why I know I do something with sound properties. I just dont know what. For sure I would definitely buy the phone again. It's better soundwise then my Galaxy s4 and s:flo2. I recommend.

Jul 25, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #3,622 of 7,916
Overall---> great. I dont know why sometimes the sound blows me away with depth and resolution but sometimes it just meh. That's why I know I do something with sound properties. I just dont know what. For sure I would definitely buy the phone again. It's better soundwise then my Galaxy s4 and s:flo2. I recommend.

I agree 100% with you. Sometimes I am amazed at the depth and the separation with this phone, however sometimes it does feel like it lacks something (I'd call it a bit of punch).

I'm listening now to some older punk-ish 70's music and it absolutely SHINES with it, it really does sound better than some quality non-portable setups.

I really think it's just based on the music you listen to, for some types of music it absolutely floors you, whilst with others, although competent it does not have the same effect.

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #3,625 of 7,916
  Axon 7 finally shipped from B&H! Woohoo! Can't wait. I'll try to post a decent comparison against the G5 + DAC.

-Collin-

I'm looking forward to that comparison, Collin
beerchug.gif

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #3,626 of 7,916
im a new htc 10 owner, used a nexus 6 for 2 yrs now and decided to upgrade. i played w/ htc 10 at tmobile and v10 at a&t and ended up w/ the htc 10, it feels really good in hand and i prefer the smaller size for easier one hand use. i didnt test the v10 sound much unfortunately but i am blown away by the htc 10 sound. huge upgrade from my nexus no doubt, glad i went for it.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #3,629 of 7,916
  Thank you! I was just about to write a request of someone who has both. These are what i'm choosing from in the next month. I'd love to try the new V11/V20 but its just too big.  

I'll do my best to make this happen. 

I'm looking forward to that comparison, Collin
beerchug.gif

Hopefully at the end of the week, if weather doesn't delay the delivery more.

awesomesauce! review coming!!?!

I don't usually review phones, but I'll put something together and either post it here or in the Axon thread. 

-Collin-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back