Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Sep 5, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #1,831 of 5,166
Did they replaced your V30+ twice under warranty ? I guess still LG hasn't refined oleds quality. Maybe it's safe to go with LCD version that is LG G series G7,G8 etc. Lets hope what gonna be seen. By the way how is the updates so far from January? Is it atleast once per 2-3 months ? G6 has very bad record of once in 7-8 months

They replaced the first set and gave the replacement. After few days i retuned that replacement too for a full refund because of an other screen issue. I am not using it anymore so can't tell about updates.

I like oled but it has it's weakness which is whites. Whites look like pale yellow especially on corners. This corner problem was present only on my replacement set. Maybe it's oled problem, i also have s8 and even that has this white problem to some extent but not as bad as v30.

Sorry for getting offtopic.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #1,832 of 5,166
They replaced the first set and gave the replacement. After few days i retuned that replacement too for a full refund because of an other screen issue. I am not using it anymore so can't tell about updates.

I like oled but it has it's weakness which is whites. Whites look like pale yellow especially on corners. This corner problem was present only on my replacement set. Maybe it's oled problem, i also have s8 and even that has this white problem to some extent but not as bad as v30.

This is getting off topic though.

So you won't use another LG again i hope. That was sad for V30

Sep 5, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #1,833 of 5,166
So you won't use another LG again i hope. That was sad for V30
That was sad for me actually since i liked it's sound signature. I also have no problem with lg since they accepted their fault and i got my refund in the end.

Nex s and v40 are my only two options now. Another way is to go the dap route with either shanling m5s or ibasso dx150 but i doubt if improvement will be worth the hassle of carrying an extra device.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #1,834 of 5,166
Even if I collected audiophile smartphone, I would say it is worth going to ibasso dx150 route or even used dx200. Clearly refined sound than xp6/lg v/nex. But if you are not streaming, zx300 is also great having 4.4 mm output. If you dont mind having additional weight in your bag.

Sep 5, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #1,835 of 5,166
So... I'm not exactly a connoisseur when it comes to smartphone audio. I have Audeze Mobius headphones inbound, which do LDAC over bluetooth. My current phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) does not, as far as I know have LDAC support.

What phone, ideally without breaking the bank, say under US$500, would you recommend to use with the Mobius to maximize its potential?

Thank you in advance.

Sep 5, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #1,836 of 5,166
So... I'm not exactly a connoisseur when it comes to smartphone audio. I have Audeze Mobius headphones inbound, which do LDAC over bluetooth. My current phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) does not, as far as I know have LDAC support.

What phone, ideally without breaking the bank, say under US$500, would you recommend to use with the Mobius to maximize its potential?

Thank you in advance.

LG V30

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #1,837 of 5,166
During the last year, I've been looking for an audiophile smartphone, I've bought the Axon 7, HTC 10, MI A1, and the S9+. First of all, the Axon 7 has a good sound but I can feel the music is coming out of my car's speakers not 3d which I didn't like. The HTC 10, has a very good sound but the issue is I can feel the music being all around not symmetrical (will explain that in a bit). MI A1, not particularly an audiophile phone although it has a DAP but the hissing sound can't be tolerated although it had the best stage to me in comparison to the first two. S9+, This is the ultimate, the sound in the car feels like I'm inside a balloon, the bass comes from the middle and my back, the highs will hit super clearly (it's just like being symmetrical, I can feel the lows from behind, the high hit from the front, all neat and clean) that was not the case with my S8 last year which didn't have the Dolby Atmos, and by the way, the only phone that has enough power for me on bluetooth was this, all the others were rubbish on bluetooth and I extensively tested and tuned the phone for 3 months each currently through AUX (the bluetooth thing was extra).

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #1,839 of 5,166
I want to ask you guys an important question for this thread:

Phones with no 3.5mm jack and USB-C connection - i get that the manufactures claim that you need a USB type c to 3.5mm adapter:
usb-type-c-connector-to-3-5mm-plug-headset.jpg

Where the hell is the DAC or sound card in those configurations?? is it in the phone (it's not possible AFAIK because usb is digital *duh*) or is this all a scam because we're relying on some "DAC" inside the adapter itself which should produce the worst sound possible?

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #1,840 of 5,166
I want to ask you guys an important question for this thread:

Phones with no 3.5mm jack and USB-C connection - i get that the manufactures claim that you need a USB type c to 3.5mm adapter:
usb-type-c-connector-to-3-5mm-plug-headset.jpg

Where the hell is the DAC or sound card in those configurations?? is it in the phone (it's not possible AFAIK because usb is digital *duh*) or is this all a scam because we're relying on some "DAC" inside the adapter itself which should produce the worst sound possible?

You understand wrong. Usb c is special. There are both digital and analog transfer pin. So some usb c adapter can either contain dac inside or not as well.

If there is no dac it will use dac inside phone and transfer to this adapter as a middle path to your iem.

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #1,841 of 5,166
You understand wrong. Usb c is special. There are both digital and analog transfer pin. So some usb c adapter can either contain dac inside or not as well.

If there is no dac it will use dac inside phone and transfer to this adapter as a middle path to your iem.

Can there be a situation where a phone has NO dac? how can i know?

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #1,842 of 5,166
Can there be a situation where a phone has NO dac? how can i know?
Every phone has cpu. And all cpu has dac on board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back