Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Sep 4, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #1,818 of 5,166
Yep, Nokia phones from 15 years ago sound better than the SPACE AGE-ULTRA THIN-MEGA POWERFUL-PEAK OF TECHNOLOGY-FRUIT OF STEVE JOBS' LOINS smartphone we have here today.

You are right in general but to be fair The iphone 4 that i had back then(still have it) sounds great with an adaptor that you bypass the amp that has and use another one (i use fiio e12) synergy is great with hd600 and ie8. That time i used also my nationite sflo2 (rip) and sound was close. For 16 bit audio is good no hires.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #1,820 of 5,166
Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #1,822 of 5,166
@artpiggo what about Asus Zenphone 5Z audio quality? Can it compete with Vivo Nex or LG V30,G7 etc audio quality ? On research Vivo os updates been seen as slowest ones...even slower than LG. I donno if it's true.

Need to buy chinese version. The rom update is fast than global rom. Same as lg, lg v30 has HK model which is slower update than Korea model

I dont know about 5z quality

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #1,823 of 5,166
Need to buy chinese version. The rom update is fast than global rom. Same as lg, lg v30 has HK model which is slower update than Korea model

I dont know about 5z quality

Ok then leave it... Lemme see Next year phones then by June July or maybe even 2019 last. I donno.. i need a good balance between Display,os, Audiocentric smartphone. Carrying this dacs(Xduoo Xd-05) along mobile is not practical all time especially when travelling.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,824 of 5,166
Ok then leave it... Lemme see Next year phones then by June July or maybe even 2019 last. I donno.. i need a good balance between Display,os, Audiocentric smartphone. Carrying this dacs(Xduoo Xd-05) along mobile is not practical all time especially when travelling.

If you don't have any budget constraints then wait for the upcoming v40. It will have much better screen then nex s, almost similar sound with better software. Overall it will be a much better deal.

It's launching in october so you don't even have to wait that long.

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #1,825 of 5,166
After owning the V20 for over a year now, I'd say I would be hesitant to go for LG again. They have had the screen retention issues since at least LG G4, updates to newer Android versions are really slow and the shenanigans they've been doing in their firmware, like not allowing you to manually switch the Hi-Fi impedance mode are not cool either IMO. Not to mention the (subjectively) bad choice of putting a 6.3" (!) display in it. Damn, I used to have a 7" tablet a couple of years back.

With that being said, it's also worth mentioning LG has switched to A POLED screen since V35, which _should_ take care of the screen problem and just recently they have promised to focus more on the software updates for the existing models. That we yet have to see in action (hopefully for the V20 also :p).
I guess what I'm trying to say is, I would personally wait a bit before deciding to buy another phone from LG to see whether they start delivering on their promises (and also get some user feedback for the V40).

Just my €0.02.

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #1,826 of 5,166
If you don't have any budget constraints then wait for the upcoming v40. It will have much better screen then nex s, almost similar sound with better software. Overall it will be a much better deal.

It's launching in october so you don't even have to wait that long.

Some restraint in budget is there but i can push it more. Not upto S9plus,Note9 or Pixel 3 category... But still i can push upto Lg category. Problem is i don't like much the sound signature of Ess sabre dac used in LG. It's too detailed and analytical sound which is not enjoyable one. For those who knows about good dacs i prefer Akm dac more than Ess sabre dac. Akm is more natural or warm sounding. Reason for looking Vivo Nex(Cirrus logic dac) is mainly as respected @artpiggo mentioned that it is warmer than LG ess sabre dacs. Ess sabre dacs are too flat, uninspiring or non enjoyable. It's more of studio analytical like purpose. If we use some bright earphones it cause ear fatigue. Nonetheless i can wait upto next year June-August. Hope to see more audiocentric fones

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,827 of 5,166
After owning the V20 for over a year now, I'd say I would be hesitant to go for LG again. They have had the screen retention issues since at least LG G4, updates to newer Android versions are really slow and the shenanigans they've been doing in their firmware, like not allowing you to manually switch the Hi-Fi impedance mode are not cool either IMO. Not to mention the (subjectively) bad choice of putting a 6.3" (!) display in it. Damn, I used to have a 7" tablet a couple of years back.

With that being said, it's also worth mentioning LG has switched to A POLED screen since V35, which _should_ take care of the screen problem and just recently they have promised to focus more on the software updates for the existing models. That we yet have to see in action (hopefully for the V20 also :p).
I guess what I'm trying to say is, I would personally wait a bit before deciding to buy another phone from LG to see whether they start delivering on their promises (and also get some user feedback for the V40).

Just my €0.02.

I agree with you in some points. Don't worry about retention as there is no problem after G6 upwards. Regarding oled however it got some issues in Pixel 2 xl(lg oled) and V30. G7 again they came back to LCD due to this main reason. Regarding software update am not sure...but this august my brother got Oreo update where actually other companies are in work for android pie. So still software side is doubtful. Lg os ui laggy was the sole reason i sold G6. I guess i have to set bar low for next phone purchase as we don't get all things in a single phone especially when it is audiocentric fones

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #1,828 of 5,166

Just my €0.02.

I know what you are talking about, i had twice returned my v30+ back in january due to some serious issues with their poled screen. Having said that lg is the only major company afaik that does hi-fi.

Some restraint in budget is there but i can push it more. Not upto S9plus,Note9 or Pixel 3 category... But still i can push upto Lg category. Problem is i don't like much the sound signature of Ess sabre dac used in LG. It's too detailed and analytical sound which is not enjoyable one. For those who knows about good dacs i prefer Akm dac more than Ess sabre dac. Akm is more natural or warm sounding. Reason for looking Vivo Nex(Cirrus logic dac) is mainly as respected @artpiggo mentioned that it is warmer than LG ess sabre dacs. Ess sabre dacs are too flat, uninspiring or non enjoyable. It's more of studio analytical like purpose. If we use some bright earphones it cause ear fatigue. Nonetheless i can wait upto next year June-August. Hope to see more audiocentric fones

Audiophile crowd like that detailed analytical signature and maybe that's the reason lg decided to go with ess sabre. However lg v30 is far from being analytical at least to my ears. It's more of a neutral approach rather. Although i can fully understand your requirement.

Sep 5, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #1,830 of 5,166
I know what you are talking about, i had twice returned my v30+ back in january due to some serious issues with their poled screen. Having said that lg is the only major company afaik that does hi-fi.

Did they replaced your V30+ twice under warranty ? I guess still LG hasn't refined oleds quality. Maybe it's safe to go with LCD version that is LG G series G7,G8 etc. Lets hope what gonna be seen. By the way how is the updates so far from January? Is it atleast once per 2-3 months ? G6 has very bad record of once in 7-8 months

Users who are viewing this thread

Back