Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Oct 19, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #5,102 of 5,166
20231019_181100.jpg

Cheap combo doesnt sound cheap!

Oct 19, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #5,103 of 5,166
I measure output impedance of two phones.
IPhone 6 =5.9 Ohm
Note7 =36 Ohm

That's why bass control of samsung is so bad.
Ip6 the best one.
There are just one track (of 7) I can notice the difference compare to SP1000 in A/B (open eyes) test

Oct 19, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #5,104 of 5,166
Thanks! So the quad DAC holds it's own and rivals the RU7? I guess it won't be a real upgrade then, no WOW factor...and it's also not a cheap dongle.
None trump the other. They are both sonically brilliant.The RU7 is different to the LG. Personally, I am glad to own the RU7 and prefer it. I use it more often (even at home) over the LGs. IMHO it's more engaging and exciting but YMMV.

The RU6 was my first move away from the LG Quad DACs and I love it. It got me into R2R DACs and triggered me to incorporate an R2R DAC in my desktop setup with the HiFiMAN EF400. I don't really use the LG Quad DACs now, other than to power the RU7 which is my go to when listening to music OTG/on a phone.

It's still nice to have options and I believe the LGs remain strong as far as portable Delta Sigma DAC options go (if you are fortunate to still own one); but I haven't purchased an alternative Delta Sigma dongle DAC since the Ztella. I just happen to prefer the RU7 and RU6 dacs. But, from the many reviews out there, there have been many amazing DS dongle DACs released since then (the Questyle M12 and M15 to name just two). These are arguably more dynamic and technically superior to the LG Quad DAC today if you were looking to upgrade your liking for ES Delta Sigma sound.

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #5,105 of 5,166
Right now, a refurbished, looks absolutely new, LG v20 costs 70 dollars on AliExpress. I'm amazed at the screen, fluidity of work and the polished software. I bought 4. So yes, I'm happy to own one as my daily driver. The Xperia 10 iii has an amazing, calibrated oled, and the difference between both is small. My HTC 10 actually beats the oled in colour fidelity. Faces in videos are greenish on the Xperia. Software colour measurements are not everything. I might end up using Xperia 10 iii with a dongle. How about an AKM one, is there a dongle that is a clear step up from the quad DAC?

Oct 19, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #5,106 of 5,166
Good question. I have zero experience with AKM DACs. Someone else may be able to chip in and help?

Oct 19, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #5,107 of 5,166
Tuning and implementation are possibly most important than the DAC chip itself. LG was successful because it partnered with B&O and Meridian. The Audio streaming app platform is key as well. I have had dongles that sound good and others that sound like crap both using the same chipset. It's always best to have a phone with Hifi DAC built in as the manufacturer usually sent time tuning it and integrating it with their native music player at the very least. With dongles it all becomes trial and error and will be dependant on the entire chain and how it flows together, and of course our subjective judgement :)

Oct 19, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #5,108 of 5,166
I understand that. I know it's not about the chip alone. I own the V30 (tuned by B&O) and V40 (tuned by Meridian) and that's the reason I purchased them many years ago because LG cared about audio quality in a smartphone. They are sonically great. The Cayin RU6 and RU7 are also well engineered and two of the best sounding dongles on the market. But they all sound different and that's down to the DAC architecture (ESS (LGs); R2R (RU6); 1-bit (RU7). I was merely pointing out that I have zero experience with any well constructed, well implemented AKM DAC. If you have, you may be able to shed light on your experience for @nimanchev ?

Oct 20, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #5,110 of 5,166
Yes, thanks, everyone. I tried the 7hz and some good chap told me it's the same as Jcally AP7, which costs 30 dollars but has a removable cable and I bought it. The 7hz is beautiful built and incredibly light. A joy to use on the go. And me, I'm all about functioning, so I'd carry a literal brick for an extra drop of sound improvement. I rarely mention that something is compact and light, although I bought an A7c camera for that reason once. Sonically, the 7hz is very, very different than most dongles. Did I say very? It's engaging and very new. While sometimes I think CS and ESS sound a bit similar to although not by much, the 7hz was very new sounding. Kind of like when I heard planars for the first time. I thought...so that's the AKM Velvet sound? I could only imagine a higher end dongle. That great sound for just 30 dollars from AliExpress? Soundstage was nothing special, but those sweet, lovely mids...oh, I'm on love! It's incredibly hard to describe. Having heard a bunch of DACs...still nothing similar. If CS and ESS had a love child, maybe. It was very pleasant at low volumes too, as I prefer. Higher volumes where also nice on it. Of course, I bought the Jcally AP7 and I will test it and get back to you. It's been sitting on my desk for a week. Which is unusual for me.

Oct 20, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #5,111 of 5,166
Good question. I have zero experience with AKM DACs. Someone else may be able to chip in and help?

To my ear, from what I listen to, ESS sharpness, brigh, a little harsh treble.
AKM vivid but smooth, a little 3D sense (as like have reverb & echoing at tiny level) make vocal sometimes not direct/straight to the ears.
CS flat, straight and forward, not 3D like AKM.

Iphone6, the dac build-in shure kse1500/1200, ak120ii belong to CS group sound the same style. Especially the CS in shure sounds most clarity, highest sharpness beyond SP1000.
SP1000 (AKM) sound other style which difference in low notes (more rumble), 3d like, laidback vocal.
Activo CT10 sounds SP1000 style while it use CS chip (in module Teratone by Iriver).
So, not only the chip create the soundsig but digital filter, tuning ...

Oct 20, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #5,112 of 5,166
Dont need to see chip brand.

Just see the brand, each brand has its own sound signature. AK never same like ibasso, ibasso never same like fiio.

Each brand just get better in same sound signature each year

Oct 21, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #5,114 of 5,166
I hope some phone junky with a good amount of Android phone experience can jump in and help guide me. Need a phone under $225 (used is fine) works great on all T-Mobile LTE bands (5G nic not a must). Plan to use with entry level dac/amp dongle with USB Audio Player Pro and my own files.

My most likely suspects might include the following simply because of the larger pool of used offerings:

Samsung S20 series, maybe the Plus
Some older Pixel phone
Any Motos that are worthy
A cheap entry level new Samsung like the current A14 5G or maybe older A13
A more expensive used mid Samsung like the A32 or A52/53
A Nord N30 5G - slightly used?

Big plusses are bright outdoor nits and Gorilla 5 or better. I'm not too concerned about processor for games or video and such as long as it does not have laggy menu or touch operation.

Thanks in advance for well vetted ideas based on personal use.

Oct 21, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #5,115 of 5,166
All
I hope some phone junky with a good amount of Android phone experience can jump in and help guide me. Need a phone under $225 (used is fine) works great on all T-Mobile LTE bands (5G nic not a must). Plan to use with entry level dac/amp dongle with USB Audio Player Pro and my own files.

My most likely suspects might include the following simply because of the larger pool of used offerings:

Samsung S20 series, maybe the Plus
Some older Pixel phone
Any Motos that are worthy
A cheap entry level new Samsung like the current A14 5G or maybe older A13
A more expensive used mid Samsung like the A32 or A52/53
A Nord N30 5G - slightly used?

Big plusses are bright outdoor nits and Gorilla 5 or better. I'm not too concerned about processor for games or video and such as long as it does not have laggy menu or touch operation.

Thanks in advance for well vetted ideas based on personal use.
If you plan on using with a dongle, battery life is an important factor. If it's used that may be something to consider.

Another point is UAPP - are you playing local FLACs or also streaming via Qobuz/Tidal? If so you need a chipset to support streaming large files without latency otherwise UAPP will constantly buffer.

I would go with an older flagship Vs midrange and ideally a new one if possible on some massive sale. I would personally recommend the Vivo Nex S if you can find one new or mint - still fast today, looks current, within your budget and actually has a jack and a HIFi DAC. Battery life is quite decent as well for a 2018 flagship. LG8X has a newer chipset but lags compared to it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back