Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Mar 19, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #4,951 of 5,168
I am considering replacing my DAP (Shanling M3X and Hiby R3 Pro) with some second hand smartphone for better user experience.

Of course LG V and G series are considered. But I would love a slightly smaller smartphone.

How does Samsung Galaxy S10e compare with DAPs and dedicated audio smartphones?
I will use it with Thieaudio Oracle OG mostly. I need clean, neutral output and as Good battery life as possible. It will be used with PowerAmp V3 and occasionally with Spotify.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #4,952 of 5,168
hello friends, I currently have an lg v60 phone, I find this equipment very decent but I got bored a bit so I would like to change it to Nuba Red Magic 8 pro that's why I would like to know how it will work as the main sound player with bt headphones, as I think by the cable, it is unlikely to match the lg v60 what is your opinion on the subject

Mar 20, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #4,953 of 5,168
I am considering replacing my DAP (Shanling M3X and zhjby R3 Pro) with some second hand smartphone for better user experience.
.... How does Samsung Galaxy S10e compare with DAPs and dedicated audio smartphones?
It really depends on what you're going to use it with. If it's via bluetooth, probably not what you're looking for, per se. Samsung at the moment seems to only AptX (no lossess or HD) and LDAC.

I don't recall what they're doing for USB C DAC. It's ok but average. They're not know for having audiophile output. The mass market, overall, don't care as long as it sounds decent, which is probably bass heavy

Mar 20, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #4,954 of 5,168
I checked the stores in AliExpress. Both Perfine and Nohon don't have the LG BL-45B1F for V10. This is a bit worrying. After comparing the latter to DC03 and 7Hz 71...I found it superior. Both dongles were about on par with HTC 10, 7hz having the narrowest soundstage of the three, but also the most refined sound. Of course, I don't have high end headphones. Focal Listen Pro and HD 599 SE are my go-to ones. Xduoo Link2 Bal surpassed all three without much trouble. I find it on par with V10, and I still prefer V10.

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #4,955 of 5,168
It really depends on what you're going to use it with. If it's via bluetooth, probably not what you're looking for, per se. Samsung at the moment seems to only AptX (no lossess or HD) and LDAC.

I don't recall what they're doing for USB C DAC. It's ok but average. They're not know for having audiophile output. The mass market, overall, don't care as long as it sounds decent, which is probably bass heavy
I want to use Direct smartphone Jack Output. I do not like dongles and BT generally.
I will test some LG soon but hope that I'll find some more compact solution.

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #4,958 of 5,168
I want to use Direct smartphone Jack Output. I do not like dongles and BT generally.
I will test some LG soon but hope that I'll find some more compact solution.

Yeah the LG G7/G8/G8X/V40/V50/V60 and ROG Phone 3 will be good to try if you're trying to drive headphones and in-ears over 50ohms.

Samsung ditched the 3.5mm port years ago. Thus, probably not a good fit for you. Blame Apple.

Actually the Moto Z landed without a headphone jack 6 months before the iPhone 7

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #4,959 of 5,168
... Actually the Moto Z landed without a headphone jack 6 months before the iPhone 7
I'm not disputing Apple wasn't first. They were ones that had the masses be accepting to it. No offense to Motorola, but they're not Apple or Samsung with the design decisions having a major influence on what they market will in the future.

As much as I would like a 3.5mm port, I understand why it's not being added. Most people now are using bluetooth. It's more convienent, no wire to get tangled, and (depending on design) a little more descrete. Heck, if I'm out and about, working out, or doing housework, I use bluetooth.

Apr 11, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #4,960 of 5,168
Using LG G7 from 2019 and recently even replaced the battery. However, Android 10 is kind of a limitation to me and I'm thinking of what to do with it. As I understand flashing custom ROM with Android 13 will disable quad DAC, making no sense to do so.

Is it reasonable to buy used US LG G8 for around $150? It has Android 12 and battery can also be replaced. It does have the same quad DAC G7 has. Not much of an upgrade, but Android 12 will make it easier to use for a next few years. Asus ROG 5 is too big for me and Sony Xperia 10 IV will have worse DAC and is more budget offering in general.

Opinions are welcome, especially from G8 owners.

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #4,961 of 5,168
Using LG G7 from 2019 and recently even replaced the battery. However, Android 10 is kind of a limitation to me and I'm thinking of what to do with it. As I understand flashing custom ROM with Android 13 will disable quad DAC, making no sense to do so.

Is it reasonable to buy used US LG G8 for around $150? It has Android 12 and battery can also be replaced. It does have the same quad DAC G7 has. Not much of an upgrade, but Android 12 will make it easier to use for a next few years. Asus ROG 5 is too big for me and Sony Xperia 10 IV will have worse DAC and is more budget offering in general.

Opinions are welcome, especially from G8 owners.
I'm using a LG G8X.

The battery is somehow glued. Not easily removeable.
I didn't made the last system upgrade, because many users told that it makes G8X sound worse.
It's a good phone, but today id buy the last gen xperia (probably 5).

Maybe, Asus ROG 5(S) is also a good choice. But its very big, heavy, and doesnt have microSD card slot. Otherwise, it has EXCELLENT speakers.

Apr 11, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #4,962 of 5,168
I had made a mini-review of OnePlus Nord CE 2 Lite 5g in this thread. Its DSD playback was excellent.Now the CE 3 has been announced with 67W charging, slightly bigger display and stereo speakers. That's what I would get, if I wanted latest Android. But I don't want more telemetry, buffed up software and less screen on time. LG and HTC shut down their servers, so less data stealing and safer. The so-called security updates are actually like Trojan horse. And I won't have an update mess my phone. I feel sorry for people who believe the manufacturers.
LG batteries are easily replaceable by a pro. In Bulgaria, one quoted 20 Eur for the work. Keep in mind that G8x has almost 5x lower PWM frequency than G7. I spent the evening with G7 yesterday.

Apr 11, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #4,963 of 5,168
I had made a mini-review of OnePlus Nord CE 2 Lite 5g in this thread. Its DSD playback was excellent.Now the CE 3 has been announced with 67W charging, slightly bigger display and stereo speakers. That's what I would get, if I wanted latest Android. Although I still use 14W charging, I don't mind the time, but I love the increased lifespan. But I don't want more telemetry, buffed up software and less screen on time. LG and HTC shut down their servers, so less data stealing and safer. The so-called security updates are actually like Trojan horse. And I won't have an update mess my phone. I feel sorry for people who believe the manufacturers.
LG batteries are easily replaceable by a pro. In Bulgaria, one quoted 20 Eur for the work. Keep in mind that G8x has almost 5x lower PWM frequency than G7. I spent the evening with G7 yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back