Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
May 10, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #4,981 of 5,166
If it is like previous Xperia 1 series, we won't get it in the US until fall.
Yeah it's been historically May for the global edition and September for the NA variant (which is an absolute necessity in Canada especially for 5G), but it seems like they'll be releasing it on the Sony US website on launch so fingers crossed.

Edit: it's up for pre-order for late July on the Sony US website: https://electronics.sony.com/mobile/smartphone/all/p/xqdq62-b

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #4,982 of 5,166
I spend the last two days comparing V10 F600s (South Korea) with stock Android 7 and V20 H990N (Hong Kong) with stock Android 8, despite having exams. I used closed back, open back, and in-ear planars. Now, here goes a precious, TLDR verdict (yes, you read that right).
V10: has a bigger, bolder, much more pleasant, natural-warm-neutral sound, wider soundstage. Dynamic, rich, consistent timing (bests V20, G7 and HTC 10 easily). Slight hiccups that require to restart the music app. I also had this problem on LG V10 H961N with stock Android 7. The Korean has way better battery life, sharper screen, runs much cooler...it is a wholy different device. I could not believe it. Overall, I`d take the Korean version any day, not to mention both have Bulgarian language.
V20: Unique, interesting, engaging tuning for orchestral music and also for folk music with bagpipes, violins and whistles...but the sound is more forward and unbalanced, highs are emphasized but bass is good, fast and snappy. A very different sound from both V10 and G7. The detail is too polished, removing the extreme ends of it (i.e you do not here the end of electric guitar riffs). Something is definitely missing, when comparing the two. They tried to make it analytical, fun and musical at the same time and did a good job. The highs are detailed, full, and crystal-clear, like bells from children songs. Too unique highs for me, I could not get used to them. Neither thin or bright. Not sparkling highs like on Focal Listen headphones. UAPP did not make a difference, bitperfect or not. The integrated LG music app beats every player, hands down, on all my LG phones.

Design and display:

Both are great looking, but in hand, V20 feels thin and slippery. I quite like the all-metal build and dedicated button for opening the back cover on V20.
V10, despite scoring low in colour tests and having much worse results...has a considerably sharper and detailed display. For the test, as a pro photographer, I put my own photos in both phones. The difference was so big it was no contest.
V20: veiled, muddy colours, almost if as somebody badly resized the same photo. Scary.

Software: I prefer V10. V20 is faster, snappier, newer...all the bells and whistles... and less unique. Camera app is rich and faster on V20, but I use my NEX-6 daily, so no contest. I have yet to see a phone that holds a candle to even 10 year old compact cameras with bigger sensors.

I scored the refurbished like new V10 from Aliexpress, for $ 76 shipped. Literally looks brand new and came sealed. Battery was half dead, but I do not care, as I have many good batteries. The TQTHL and Polarcell ones are great, from eBay, also Nohon from Aliexpress. As I have three HTC 10 and the above mentioned LG phones, V20 is going back. I am keeping the rest of them. I am open to questions. There are not many fools who spend days from their lives and much money to find the slightest differences, so take advantage.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #4,983 of 5,166
I spend the last two days comparing V10 F600s (South Korea) with stock Android 7 and V20 H990N (Hong Kong) with stock Android 8, despite having exams. I used closed back, open back, and in-ear planars. Now, here goes a precious, TLDR verdict (yes, you read that right).
V10: has a bigger, bolder, much more pleasant, natural-warm-neutral sound, wider soundstage. Dynamic, rich, consistent timing (bests V20, G7 and HTC 10 easily). Slight hiccups that require to restart the music app. I also had this problem on LG V10 H961N with stock Android 7. The Korean has way better battery life, sharper screen, runs much cooler...it is a wholy different device. I could not believe it. Overall, I`d take the Korean version any day, not to mention both have Bulgarian language.
V20: Unique, interesting, engaging tuning for orchestral music and also for folk music with bagpipes, violins and whistles...but the sound is more forward and unbalanced, highs are emphasized but bass is good, fast and snappy. A very different sound from both V10 and G7. The detail is too polished, removing the extreme ends of it (i.e you do not here the end of electric guitar riffs). Something is definitely missing, when comparing the two. They tried to make it analytical, fun and musical at the same time and did a good job. The highs are detailed, full, and crystal-clear, like bells from children songs. Too unique highs for me, I could not get used to them. Neither thin or bright. Not sparkling highs like on Focal Listen headphones. UAPP did not make a difference, bitperfect or not. The integrated LG music app beats every player, hands down, on all my LG phones.

Design and display:

Both are great looking, but in hand, V20 feels thin and slippery. I quite like the all-metal build and dedicated button for opening the back cover on V20.
V10, despite scoring low in colour tests and having much worse results...has a considerably sharper and detailed display. For the test, as a pro photographer, I put my own photos in both phones. The difference was so big it was no contest.
V20: veiled, muddy colours, almost if as somebody badly resized the same photo. Scary.

Software: I prefer V10. V20 is faster, snappier, newer...all the bells and whistles... and less unique. Camera app is rich and faster on V20, but I use my NEX-6 daily, so no contest. I have yet to see a phone that holds a candle to even 10 year old compact cameras with bigger sensors.

I scored the refurbished like new V10 from Aliexpress, for $ 76 shipped. Literally looks brand new and came sealed. Battery was half dead, but I do not care, as I have many good batteries. The TQTHL and Polarcell ones are great, from eBay, also Nohon from Aliexpress. As I have three HTC 10 and the above mentioned LG phones, V20 is going back. I am keeping the rest of them. I am open to questions. There are not many fools who spend days from their lives and much money to find the slightest differences, so take advantage.
I had the LGv20 for a while before i drop him in the toilet and i never could find this phone anything outstanding with its audio but it might be due to the low impedance iem that never triggered high impedance mod i used it with so my curiosity is triggered about the V10 but its seniority, and plug trick restraint me to try it not mentioning the fact i should pick the good one for matching the France antenas.
I loved the V50 sound before the software update and i broke it.
Now im realy pleased with a Vivo nex s wich i think is the best sounding phone on par with xplay6 but it would have been interesting that u could compare it with the v10 you seem to so admire.
Anyway, im still looking forward for the nex audiophile phone to surpass any existing one with a good screen who can displays dark decently.
At last could you tell me what screen technology is the best, i think im lost with those technology lcd,led etc. I think i dont like amoled screen

May 15, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #4,984 of 5,166
That's a lot of info... First, I'd love to get my hands on Vivo phones, but I can't find even screen protectors on AliExpress, let alone the phones. eBay didn't help either, as I live in Bulgaria. V10 surpassed xDuoo Link2 Bal! Btw, I didn't like its 4.4mm congested and shrinked soundstage. I completely agree, V20 even had troubles surpassing HTC 10! G7 and V10 easily did so. Nothing unique.

About screens...I am a pro photographer, and hardware expert, and I studied optometry. So a strange mix of science that is very competitive. Since comparing apples to oranges doesn't look good, we'll concentrate on pros and cons and prices. Comparing LCD to led, that is.
Unfortunately, manufacturers spent millions to brainwash people. Most of their statements are outrageous. And people think those are the holy truths. Sony claiming that smartphones will surpass pro cameras...LG comparing a phone to a badly edited footage from a 50k videocamera...Huawei using pro cameras and pretending the photos were from a phone (and had to pay a hefty fine)... So, one must go outlaw, renegade, cowboy to expose the pro liars. And a lot of incompetent sheep will challenge you. So don't ever share the precious info. I paid for it with thousands of sleepless nights.
First thing first... There are no two pairs of eyes that see the same. There are no two brains that process the same. This is not maths where there are concrete and undeniable truths. So, preferences will always occur. Forcing them onto others is plain outrageous. Facts must be picked with extreme caution.
Colorimetry? It doesn't look and think like a human. It's not one. It might be perfect on paper. How will our brains perceive something is another story. Led giving zero colour deviations? And that's the end of it all? Gimme a break. First, led are way too bright and intense and distracting. Painful for the brain. They have shorter lifespan and are more prone to burn in and are easier to break. You'll never see a rugged phone with led screen. All these cons are enough to end the question here and now. The cons they have for our health are scary. I remember someone on the eyestrain forum saying that all those engineers must be in jail. I'm sorry I didn't save the discussion.

Absolutely everyone is prone to eye strain from pwm. Some just don't realise that. A big lie from Scamsung was that human eye cannot perceive more than 400 ppi. An optometrist did a great study proving that it can perceive above 2 000 ppi. All my phones are above 500 ppi. HTC 10, LG G7 and V10. HDR? An excuse to mask poor processing and bad screen. If you want deep blacks or detailed dark scenes, a VA LCD panel is the answer. One of the best screens in phones is in Huawei Mate 10. Not pro, not lite. And a real 16:9 one. Want the best white for reading? HTC 10 in srgb with two slides towards warm, according to Gsmarena. Led black has too much gray tint on it. Tint isn't the tight word. Led do poorly in displaying tones and layers of the same colour. Go on YouTube and watch an episode of the cartoon Oggy and the cockroaches on two phones at the same time, led and LCD, in 1080 full HD. Pay attention to the shades of green and blue. You'll laugh your lungs off how poorly led does. It looks like an oversatured picture from CRT screens. Like if someone put too much paint when drawing. Even a mediocre screen like OnePlus Nord CE 2 lite 5g shows outstanding blacks. And less cool blue tint at low brightness.
Best technology? There's none. Gamers will always want their 0ms dream and will argue that colours don't matter in games. Being a national champion in some games, I disagree. Programmers forced refresh rates to matter. LCD didn't need those 20 years ago. They tied things to blackmail you to buy newer stuff. Smoked smoked being battery life champion? Yeah, right... Gsmarena's battery life test results...show that top 5 phones in the chart are LCD screen based. Now that's total pwnage in gamer slang. https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3
Btw, autocorrect says smoked instead of amoled. Fair enough...amoled picture looks veiled in smoke.
I used v10 h961n extensively in France with zero problems. A 36 ohm adapter is the best. No tricks needed for hi impedance mode. It almost always triggers it. Lg hi fi status app is your friend.

BGN 26.30 8%OFF | 3.5mm Audio 18ohm/36ohm/75ohm/110ohm/220ohm/330ohm/510ohm Impedance Adapter Plug for HiFi Player/Earphone
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPtTWYM

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #4,985 of 5,166
So my LG G8X is slowly dying on me (more and more laggy experience), hence I'm looking for a replacement.
What's the best option with the below requirements?
1. Great sound quality (obviously) - more warm than analytical
2. Jack 3.5 mm
3. MicroSD slot

Any current smartphones which have all three of these?

May 19, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #4,986 of 5,166
That's a lot of info... First, I'd love to get my hands on Vivo phones, but I can't find even screen protectors on AliExpress, let alone the phones. eBay didn't help either, as I live in Bulgaria. V10 surpassed xDuoo Link2 Bal! Btw, I didn't like its 4.4mm congested and shrinked soundstage. I completely agree, V20 even had troubles surpassing HTC 10! G7 and V10 easily did so. Nothing unique.

About screens...I am a pro photographer, and hardware expert, and I studied optometry. So a strange mix of science that is very competitive. Since comparing apples to oranges doesn't look good, we'll concentrate on pros and cons and prices. Comparing LCD to led, that is.
Unfortunately, manufacturers spent millions to brainwash people. Most of their statements are outrageous. And people think those are the holy truths. Sony claiming that smartphones will surpass pro cameras...LG comparing a phone to a badly edited footage from a 50k videocamera...Huawei using pro cameras and pretending the photos were from a phone (and had to pay a hefty fine)... So, one must go outlaw, renegade, cowboy to expose the pro liars. And a lot of incompetent sheep will challenge you. So don't ever share the precious info. I paid for it with thousands of sleepless nights.
First thing first... There are no two pairs of eyes that see the same. There are no two brains that process the same. This is not maths where there are concrete and undeniable truths. So, preferences will always occur. Forcing them onto others is plain outrageous. Facts must be picked with extreme caution.
Colorimetry? It doesn't look and think like a human. It's not one. It might be perfect on paper. How will our brains perceive something is another story. Led giving zero colour deviations? And that's the end of it all? Gimme a break. First, led are way too bright and intense and distracting. Painful for the brain. They have shorter lifespan and are more prone to burn in and are easier to break. You'll never see a rugged phone with led screen. All these cons are enough to end the question here and now. The cons they have for our health are scary. I remember someone on the eyestrain forum saying that all those engineers must be in jail. I'm sorry I didn't save the discussion.

Absolutely everyone is prone to eye strain from pwm. Some just don't realise that. A big lie from Scamsung was that human eye cannot perceive more than 400 ppi. An optometrist did a great study proving that it can perceive above 2 000 ppi. All my phones are above 500 ppi. HTC 10, LG G7 and V10. HDR? An excuse to mask poor processing and bad screen. If you want deep blacks or detailed dark scenes, a VA LCD panel is the answer. One of the best screens in phones is in Huawei Mate 10. Not pro, not lite. And a real 16:9 one. Want the best white for reading? HTC 10 in srgb with two slides towards warm, according to Gsmarena. Led black has too much gray tint on it. Tint isn't the tight word. Led do poorly in displaying tones and layers of the same colour. Go on YouTube and watch an episode of the cartoon Oggy and the cockroaches on two phones at the same time, led and LCD, in 1080 full HD. Pay attention to the shades of green and blue. You'll laugh your lungs off how poorly led does. It looks like an oversatured picture from CRT screens. Like if someone put too much paint when drawing. Even a mediocre screen like OnePlus Nord CE 2 lite 5g shows outstanding blacks. And less cool blue tint at low brightness.
Best technology? There's none. Gamers will always want their 0ms dream and will argue that colours don't matter in games. Being a national champion in some games, I disagree. Programmers forced refresh rates to matter. LCD didn't need those 20 years ago. They tied things to blackmail you to buy newer stuff. Smoked smoked being battery life champion? Yeah, right... Gsmarena's battery life test results...show that top 5 phones in the chart are LCD screen based. Now that's total pwnage in gamer slang. https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3
Btw, autocorrect says smoked instead of amoled. Fair enough...amoled picture looks veiled in smoke.
I used v10 h961n extensively in France with zero problems. A 36 ohm adapter is the best. No tricks needed for hi impedance mode. It almost always triggers it. Lg hi fi status app is your friend.

BGN 26.30 8%OFF | 3.5mm Audio 18ohm/36ohm/75ohm/110ohm/220ohm/330ohm/510ohm Impedance Adapter Plug for HiFi Player/Earphone

Sorry for my late anser,
Thx you for yours,
Your blatantly comfort that feeling have about the lcd screen being greatly more pleasant to my eyes not mentioning somes oled/amoled almost kinda give me motion sickness. Fortunately i find the Nex S amoled sustainable. I gess it can have corrected colors but the dark rapidly gets indistinguishable and the lighting lack some power on sun.

gaming wise i had a super experience by randomly try an old cathode screen it improved my aim greatly. If i had the time to play again id try to get one or a flat who can emulated the cathode comfort.

I might try to go for the V10 journey if i find a good online deal
I have two Nex s one used and one like new and there is still few on the french backmarcket for your attention around 200$.
Cheer

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #4,987 of 5,166

Oh, you live in Bulgaria?
Would you confirm that the girls there are another breed 🤤?

May 19, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #4,988 of 5,166
So my LG G8X is slowly dying .... Any current smartphones which have all three of these?
I cannot suggest any phones for you. More and more companies are eliminating 3.5mm port and SD Card slot. I think some of the Andriod phones designed for gaming will probably have what your looking for such as Asus Rog

That said, if the phone is becoming more sluggish, you may want to try reflashing the firmware. Phones can get end with a bunch of garbage in storage and memory with affects performance. It's not guranteed, but it usually helps. Granted, the LG G8X is starting to get on the old side. If it works for your needs and wants, no real reason to change phones.

May 20, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #4,990 of 5,166
People are not happy with the implementation of the ESS in Asus Rog Phones. Weak, thin, especially the amp. If one is happy with his phone, he should just find a new one. I`d recommend the G7 Thinq, as its LCD is crazy bright, boombox speaker is impressive and PWM is a little higher at 1147 Hz. I think I will buy another one. Especially since it bests V20 in the audio department. I wonder what are you all doing, complaining about the lack of power in phones. My V10 with SD 808 and Android 7 is good enough...I have a dedicated gaming system with two gameboards, I also watch movies on it, and for heavy browsing and tasks, I just use my Dell XPS. No phone will ever beat that. The Vivo NEX S has a Cirrus Logic CS43199. I prefer the ESS in my V10, it beats my xDuoo Link2 Bal, which is one of the better dongles. CS DACs are lively and musical, but they just miss something. I won`t buy a LED display, unless it has very high PWM, by the way. Notebookcheck claims Xperia 10 IV has quite a flat curve with even amplitude...so I went to test it...it was better than others, but still made my yes very uncomfortable.

May 26, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #4,991 of 5,166
Which phone should I buy? My main focus is audio quality, but other quirks are fun also. Listening with local files. Thanks!

-LG G8
-LG G7
-LG V50
-LG V60
-LG G8x

May 26, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #4,992 of 5,166
LG G7, as it is IP68 (if nobody opened it to replace the battery). All other models have low frequency PWM. I tested V50 and it was awful. Blueish screen, strange audio tuning like the V20, unnatural. V60 was better and closer to V10. G7 is very detail-oriented, in-your-face, bombarding with bags of details, especially for fast-paced music. It also has very good charge protection that does not exceed 2.5A, which is fantastic. Most phones start charing with 3A and get quite hot, and eventually drop to 2.1A. The display flickers at 1174 Hz at brightness of 42% and below. G7 also has quite impressive bass quality, quantity and speed with planars, be it expensive, or entry-level ones like the magnificent KZ PR1 Pro, which I recommend. It made me leave my Focal Listen Pro and HD 599 SE at home (which I would never believed would happen). I bought the unlocked USA-version (ULM) with Android 9, as I do not want Android 10 (we all know what it does to DSD, and I do not want to buy USB Audio Player Pro). The phone is blazingly fast, much more so than V10 and HTC 10, and on par with OnePlus Nord CE 2 Lite 5g (long name, I managed to write it down). All above phones work with Sandisk 400GB micro SDXC. If you are after clarity and transparency, G7 bests all above phones, especially with DSD/DSF vinyl scans. It is especially good with complex recordings - like orchestras with dozens of different instruments. I cannot say enough good about this phone. Just avoid wireless charging, as it hits 42C, which is outrageous. Wireless will always add some 8-10 degrees Celsius, compared to wired charging. Since the battery is only 3 Ah, it does not even need quick charging, just small, frequrent tops. This is what I like about older flagships. Last month, my friend brought his Poco F4 GT, and it was awful - it refused most cables and chargers (and mines are great, I am an electrical engineer), with would stop charging and flicker. Same story with many power banks.
The thing I did not like about V60 was the cumbersome, long, and thick, fat frame. And I am usually very neutral and definitely not picky about those things. The display was bad, and tiring. Of course, as with all LG displays, Comfort View was ON for all mentioned phones.

May 26, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #4,993 of 5,166
LG G7, as it is IP68 (if nobody opened it to replace the battery). All other models have low frequency PWM. I tested V50 and it was awful. Blueish screen, strange audio tuning like the V20, unnatural. V60 was better and closer to V10. G7 is very detail-oriented, in-your-face, bombarding with bags of details, especially for fast-paced music. It also has very good charge protection that does not exceed 2.5A, which is fantastic. Most phones start charing with 3A and get quite hot, and eventually drop to 2.1A. The display flickers at 1174 Hz at brightness of 42% and below. G7 also has quite impressive bass quality, quantity and speed with planars, be it expensive, or entry-level ones like the magnificent KZ PR1 Pro, which I recommend. It made me leave my Focal Listen Pro and HD 599 SE at home (which I would never believed would happen). I bought the unlocked USA-version (ULM) with Android 9, as I do not want Android 10 (we all know what it does to DSD, and I do not want to buy USB Audio Player Pro). The phone is blazingly fast, much more so than V10 and HTC 10, and on par with OnePlus Nord CE 2 Lite 5g (long name, I managed to write it down). All above phones work with Sandisk 400GB micro SDXC. If you are after clarity and transparency, G7 bests all above phones, especially with DSD/DSF vinyl scans. It is especially good with complex recordings - like orchestras with dozens of different instruments. I cannot say enough good about this phone. Just avoid wireless charging, as it hits 42C, which is outrageous. Wireless will always add some 8-10 degrees Celsius, compared to wired charging. Since the battery is only 3 Ah, it does not even need quick charging, just small, frequrent tops. This is what I like about older flagships. Last month, my friend brought his Poco F4 GT, and it was awful - it refused most cables and chargers (and mines are great, I am an electrical engineer), with would stop charging and flicker. Same story with many power banks.
The thing I did not like about V60 was the cumbersome, long, and thick, fat frame. And I am usually very neutral and definitely not picky about those things. The display was bad, and tiring. Of course, as with all LG displays, Comfort View was ON for all mentioned phones.
What do you think of the G8?

May 26, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #4,994 of 5,166
As I told you, PWM at around 240 Hz is laughable. It should be above 1 000 Hz = 1kHz. DAC-wise, they are the same phones, save for little differences in tuning. LED screens slowly destroy eyesight worse than the old CRT screens. Of course, manufacturers` mumbo-jumbo about have safe and certified their screens are is a crime against humanity. Xiaomi 13 Ultra is said to have 1920 Hz PWM dimming, and Notebookcheck tested it to have... only 120 Hz. If there is PWM, you want as higher as possible, preferably in the mHz range, not Khz, let alone the Hz one. The screens are just BAD. G7 using mLCD with absurdly high brightness and one of the most powerful speaker chambers out there gets my vote. I would not use a low-PWM screens even as a gift. Optometrist tests confirm that manufacturers` claims are just lies. PWM flickering affects everybody. You gotta be dumber than Dumb and Dumber to use it. Manufacturers even claim it affects a small portion of people. Translations: even if you have a keen eye to notice the outrageous crap...continue using it, as other sheep do. Manufacturers would take your eyes and sell them for profit, if they could (Apple using slave labour and people who had mental problems were sold as slave workers...the Congress wanted to ban slave-manufactured goods and crApple were the first to furiously object, ROFLMAO).
You say music is priority - health should be too. And G7 is incredibly clean, rhytmic, resolving, especially with bassier headphones. I do not like it much with Focal Listen Pro`s sparkly treble. The detail is all over the place and I would never think I would say that, as I am a detail freak.

May 31, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #4,995 of 5,166
Yeah it's been historically May for the global edition and September for the NA variant (which is an absolute necessity in Canada especially for 5G), but it seems like they'll be releasing it on the Sony US website on launch so fingers crossed.

Edit: it's up for pre-order for late July on the Sony US website: https://electronics.sony.com/mobile/smartphone/all/p/xqdq62-b

Is there any concrete information on what DAC and/or amplification capabilities this new Sony Xperia 1 V will have?
I can't find any concrete information on it other than a bunch of marketing nonsense.

I am currently on an older LG, and it is blowing my mind that there really aren't many solid upgrade options.
The fact that people are still recommending LG devices that are out of support, or soon to be out of support says it all.
Every great feature of the LG: the removable battery, the SD Card support, the built-in DAC/AMP combo with 3.5mm headphone jack, and much more has been lost in time.
The removable battery is nice to have, but I guess I am ok with spending an hour or two with a heat gun to replace a battery.
SD Card support being removed from most modern phones is unfortunate, but I am ok with overpaying for a phone with over 500 GB of onboard storage.
Even making all of those sacrifices, it seems it is still difficult to find a modern phone with a nice built-in DAC/AMP combo with a 3.5mm headphone jack.
The processor and onboard memory on these older LG devices aren't cutting it anymore.
Not to mention, the security issues of running devices X amount of years out of date.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back