Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Feb 5, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #4,921 of 5,167
Hiby Music can do that.
Thanks for the suggestion however I'm using Apple Music and was wondering if I could use the S23 Ultra to get bit perfect playback with a usb dac/amp.

Feb 6, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #4,922 of 5,167
Hi. Quick question: I've always been an iPhone user with few iterations to Samsung phones. Currently I own a 13 PRO MAX and I'm about to exchange it for a 14 PRO MAX. From a sound point of view, is the Pixel 7 Pro or the S22 or S23 Ultra an improvement? I listen via my Chord Mojo and Focal headphones when I got the time and via my Sony MDR-1AM2 everyday while on the treadmill. Thanks!

Mar 1, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #4,924 of 5,167
That's easy. OnePlus Nord CE 2 Lite 5g. I spent a month on comparisons. Extremely sharp IPS display without the problems of LED displays - artificial colours, flicker that destroys eyes over time, not to mention uniformity. Compared to the hi res displays of HTC 10 and LG V10band G7 ' it holds is own ' insanely sharp and clear. Tested with 10 but 4ak demos. When wired ' sound quality is close to the HTC, Which is rare. 33W is very reasonable and the phone stays at 36C, but I prefer 18 or 12w. Changing cables changes the charging speed.

Mar 2, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #4,926 of 5,167
Still enjoying my LG G7 and Android 10. It is approx equal in sound to V30 > V20 >V10 although there was something magical about the V10. Maybe it was the OS but all critical listening done over the years with my ripped lossless wav files and UAPP.

Having a lot of fun with Tidal and Wavelet which allows me to use EQ profiles of megabuck iems on my budget iems for walking.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #4,927 of 5,167
Razer Phone 2 with Android 9 which is still kicking alive and well. Sound is just booming from it. Otherwise using a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra for photos and streaming.

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #4,929 of 5,167
Which one do you suggest?
DX170 or R6 Gen III are good options. I recently got the DX170 and it has good sound qualty, reminds me a bit of the Gryphon but the sound quality isn't quite to that level, mostly a similar type of sound signature and it is an upgrade over my LG V60. One down side is that you might find it a bit slow (personally, it's ok for me). If you like a faster UI then R6 Gen III is probably going to be nicer, don't know about it's sound but it should be good.

The SRC bypass works really well, you can check the sample rate on the notification bar and it works on almost everything from music players, file explorers and games but maybe not with YouTube, I have not used YouTube much but remember seeing 48 KHz on the notification bar. If that's what YouTube streams are sampled at, then I guess that works well too.

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #4,930 of 5,167
I just compared LG V10 in high impedance mode to xDuoo Link 2 Bal, using HD 599 SE. I do prefer the more organic, analogue sound of the LG, it is slightly more forward, in your face - guitar riffs sound distant on the Xduoo, and the treble extension is slightly lacking, compared to the LG, but both are quite flawless. Drums were considerably better represented on the LG, everything sounded more realistic, while the xDuoo sounds digital on some songs. Not much consistency on the latter, it sounds like a different device on some songs, the timbre changes. I ordered a 4.4mm cable for it, I will update in a month or so. I prefer the xDuoo on some songs, it gives wider soundstage. Mind you, I always prefer it in a low-gain mode.
Yes, I don`t care about cameras. We have lots of seagulls and stray cats near the Black Sea, so I always carry a high-end superzoom with my, the Sony RX 10 Mark IV.
As for the Xperia 1 IV, it is so lagging behind the Xperia 10 IV, it is laughable, maybe you have read my post where I compared them heavily in a local store, with 3 headphones. It was literally shocking that a phone who costs more than 3x less beats the flagship in terms of audio. I struggled for days, before updating LG V10 H961N to Android 7. Works like a charm, except the search option in Settings (it closes the window). And the version says... V30A?! Having multiple batteries and a few external chargers, I cannot imagine waiting for my phone to charge...never again. Manufacturers with 4-digit prices, keep your 1 KW charging absurds to yourself. I always have 3 batteries readily charged. Before going to bed, I plug one.
Could enlighten me about the Xperia 10 IV audio segment, does it have a dedicated dac ? Can it compete aside LG v10, V20 etc ? I liked it's size and screen so i might go for it if the audio has been taken care.

Mar 8, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #4,931 of 5,167
Could enlighten me about the Xperia 10 IV audio segment, does it have a dedicated dac ? Can it compete aside LG v10, V20 etc ? I liked it's size and screen so i might go for it if the audio has been taken care.
No. It is the worst phone I ever had in my life.

Mar 8, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #4,932 of 5,167
FWIW to this day the Mate 20X is still very, very good as for HP out. Plus, it's a joy to use Poweramp on that big screen, very fluid and clear. Even when I'll stop using it as a phone eventually (no more updates), I'll probably keep on using it as a DAP. And that battery life, man...

Mar 8, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #4,934 of 5,167
FWIW to this day the Mate 20X is still very, very good as for HP out. Plus, it's a joy to use Poweramp on that big screen, very fluid and clear. Even when I'll stop using it as a phone eventually (no more updates), I'll probably keep on using it as a DAP. And that battery life, man...
Do you know what gives its 3.5mm jack output vs LG V phones?

Mar 8, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #4,935 of 5,167
Do you know what gives its 3.5mm jack output vs LG V phones?
No, never had an LG. All I know is that it holds its own quite well against some DAPs I had before, oldish ones. Though it most probably can't compete on a purely sonic level with the more modern offerings, the convenience, screen, battery life etc. more than make up for it for me. It's not random that at the time of its release, dxomark gave it the highest score ever in audio, I'd guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back