Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
May 28, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #4,052 of 5,168
Anyone have the rog phone 5 how is the audio quality threw the jack.
I have Rog Phone and I like very much 3.5mm output and even BT output as wide range EQ works through BT and 3.5mm

May 28, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #4,053 of 5,168
Just a question, even if a smartphone has hi-res DAC, it will sound good only if we are using direct-dac (opensl es in vlc media player or hi-res driver in usb audio player) right? I mean, can we get good sound quality using 3rd party music services like Apple Music?

May 28, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #4,054 of 5,168
I am using UAPP which is perfectly compatible even with MQA support with Asus ROG phone5

May 28, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #4,056 of 5,168
I don't see any problem with it! I have Apple music working on Asus Rog phone 5. Only problem I could see that apple will maybe need to fix app at beginning.

May 28, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #4,058 of 5,168
UAPP is way better sound with my hi ress library then Apple music but let's hope hi res apple will be good

May 31, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #4,059 of 5,168
I wonder how the Quad dacs of the LG compares with the Quad Cirrus dacs on the DX300

Jun 1, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #4,060 of 5,168
I'm in the market for a compact higher-end smartphone. I think it will be a tight race between Zenfone 8 and Xperia 5 III. The Xperia would be a no-brainer for me if it wasn't for that 8 GB RAM limit (relevant?) and unknown (?) DAC. Any news on the audio circuit of that phone and how compares to LG V-Series or Zenfone/ROG?

Is there any first hand impression available for the Zenfone 8?

Shall be used with easy to drive BD Xelento and Grado RS2e.

Jun 1, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #4,062 of 5,168
I'm in the market for a compact higher-end smartphone. I think it will be a tight race between Zenfone 8 and Xperia 5 III. The Xperia would be a no-brainer for me if it wasn't for that 8 GB RAM limit (relevant?) and unknown (?) DAC. Any news on the audio circuit of that phone and how compares to LG V-Series or Zenfone/ROG?

With that options I would go for Sony. 8gb ram is more than enough even for AAA android games, its already future proof, the problem with high-end compact phones is not the processing power but the heat dissipation issues. Regarding Dacs, I think both of them use the Aqstic.

Jun 1, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #4,063 of 5,168

Both use Qualcomm Aqstic DACs but I'd bet on Sony to do a better job on tuning it as opposed to Asus. They're also using a high quality earphone jack which is a big plus over Asus. Both phones are relatively new so I doubt if anyone has compared them yet with ROG 5 and old LGs. If you're looking for a quality flagship that has good audio quality and solid software+after sales support then Sony is a no-brainer. Although, it costs teeny weeny more than it's peers.

RAM is more than enough for heavy usage and is future proof.

Jun 2, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #4,064 of 5,168
Then it's settled. I thank you, guys. I'll go with the Xperia 5 III. I care little for the additional cost but was unsure regarding those 8 GB of RAM. For above average requirements I own a HiBy R3 Pro Saber which I can connect with any smartphone. But the built-in 3.5 mm jack is just more convenient to use in certain situations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back