Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Nov 17, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #751 of 5,166
Maybe not as good as the V20/V30 in all ways... But the Axon 7 Mini is available from Best Buy for under $185. Audio from earphone jack as good or better than Full sized Axon 7. IMHO, Slight step down from the LH phones, but good for on the go where there is ambient noise that reduces quality of sound from all phones, dap's, etc,,, Price-wise, a very good phone.

Thanks for the heads up, that's a good price especially if they still have the prepaid airtime deal to go along with it but I'm crossing my fingers for $150 on BF because it certainly beats the big brother in terms of sound and from factor

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #752 of 5,166
I can only say I clearly preferred Axon 7 over the V20. Maybe its a personal preference of a more V shaped sound signature, but that plus the better OLED screen was enough to convince me to keep the Axon and sell the V20.

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #753 of 5,166
I can only say I clearly preferred Axon 7 over the V20. Maybe its a personal preference of a more V shaped sound signature, but that plus the better OLED screen was enough to convince me to keep the Axon and sell the V20.

V20 is like the HD650 or HD600 they give you great sound but most people find them boring, sometimes it boils down to headphones as well but yeah v20 can be too analytical i use it on the go or when I want to hear things in the music I haven't heard before for more musical sound I liked the v10, Axon or my current Fiio Q1

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #754 of 5,166
Hi all,

I just bought the Huawei mate 10 (after my v10 boot-looped in 6 months). The huawei is a great phone, display, camera , battery and general performance is top notch.

It does have a 3.5mm headphone jack and surprisingly the SQ quality is decent(my reference is meizu mx4 pro , v10 and fiio x1 so not' hi-fi') . I am no audiophile. I tested using google play 320k mp3s and 1more triple driver and fidelio m1. You need to tinker with the histen audio settings to get something that is aceptable for you. The DAC as i understand is the onboard kirin 970 integrated 32bit/384 kHz. not sure of the amp.

I have not tried with high impedance cans but 32 ohms were easily driven.

To summarise SQ is decent not comparable to mx4 pro but comparable with v10 with low impedance headphones (i did not like v10 sound that much).

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #756 of 5,166
The budget audiophile ZTE Axon 7 Mini is now just 113€(133$) on Gearbest

Crazy price for the audiophile DAC. Given how cheap the full Axon 7 has gotten though, I would just get that if it's within the price range.

Going by the previous releases of ZTE Axon (Oct '15) to Axon 7 (Jun '16) and the recent price drops, it makes me wonder if an Axon 8 is on the horizon. IIRC they've confirmed that a successor is in the works but it's anyone's guess when that would be.

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #758 of 5,166
Maybe not as good as the V20/V30 in all ways... But the Axon 7 Mini is available from Best Buy for under $185. Audio from earphone jack as good or better than Full sized Axon 7. IMHO, Slight step down from the LH phones, but good for on the go where there is ambient noise that reduces quality of sound from all phones, dap's, etc,,, Price-wise, a very good phone.

Do you think that the Axon 7 mini is better than One M8? Audio and phone wise.

Does the V4A works with the DAC?

Nov 21, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #759 of 5,166
Crazy price for the audiophile DAC. Given how cheap the full Axon 7 has gotten though, I would just get that if it's within the price range.

Going by the previous releases of ZTE Axon (Oct '15) to Axon 7 (Jun '16) and the recent price drops, it makes me wonder if an Axon 8 is on the horizon. IIRC they've confirmed that a successor is in the works but it's anyone's guess when that would be.

Yeah who knows. On FB recently they've been promoting the new Axon M and of course there are plenty of people posting stuff like "what about the Axon 8?" to which the ZTE rep said multiple times, "it's on its way." Vague but good to know.

I love my Axon 7 so that rep better not have been blowing smoke.

Nov 21, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #760 of 5,166
Hey guys, I was checking out this thread (I read most of the previous thread, not as much of this one). I had previously been considering the V20 to upgrade my Xperia Z3, but I'm a bit concerned over the sheer size of that thing, and the V30 is still over $1K CAD.

Just wondering if anyone has heard the oneplus 5. How does it sound? I assume the audio will be the same as the newly released oneplus5T.

Nov 21, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #761 of 5,166
Hey guys, I was checking out this thread (I read most of the previous thread, not as much of this one). I had previously been considering the V20 to upgrade my Xperia Z3, but I'm a bit concerned over the sheer size of that thing, and the V30 is still over $1K CAD.

Just wondering if anyone has heard the oneplus 5. How does it sound? I assume the audio will be the same as the newly released oneplus5T.

Check this out for OP5 , V20 is more tall than wide feels small in the hand....high gain is impressive if you have high impedance cans or use the adapter trick.

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #764 of 5,166
I have a Xiaomi mi 5 that i don't like the sound output, wondering to get a oneplus 5t in some months, any toughts from you guys would be awesome. Of course i don't expect to sound like a v30 but some say its Very good(like that Vid from pocket now on op5) and Other's say It sound Very poor. I don't know what to think. Anyway, i'm going on them beacause of the whole package, but a better sound to listen on the bus would be awesome, at home i have a FiiO e70k that sounds miiiiiiiles ahead of the mi5, but i can't carry them with me.

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #765 of 5,166
I have a Xiaomi mi 5 that i don't like the sound output, wondering to get a oneplus 5t in some months, any toughts from you guys would be awesome. Of course i don't expect to sound like a v30 but some say its Very good(like that Vid from pocket now on op5) and Other's say It sound Very poor. I don't know what to think. Anyway, i'm going on them beacause of the whole package, but a better sound to listen on the bus would be awesome, at home i have a FiiO e70k that sounds miiiiiiiles ahead of the mi5, but i can't carry them with me.

Maybe you should try this little dac/amp: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/E19...DSD-transmission-192K-32BIT/32831061286.html?

I'm about to get this for myself, coupled with a cheap smarphone as a mobile setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back