Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Nov 13, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #736 of 5,166
meizu pro 6 plus vs axon 7 vs lg g6 quad ?
I guess for sound quality :
Axon 7 < meizu pro 6 < G6 = Meizu pro 5
(I tested axon 7. Meizu pro 5 and LGV20 ; G6 is a guess from V20 ; meizu pro 6 is a guess from what I read about the device)
Meizu pro 6 vs pro 5 : read for example https://www.anandtech.com/show/10545/the-meizu-pro-6-review/8
Edit : For the Meizu Pro 6 Plus I don't know. I didn't realize it was an upgrade in audio from the pro 6. It could be similar to Pro 5 quality, as it uses a similar DAC. Artpiggo knows probably better the differences.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #737 of 5,166
I just sold my G6 quad dac version. It is great in audio details but flat sounding or maybe a little less bass. Its like you know you can use it for monitoring audio but not enjoy it. I think V20 is more enjoyable listening. Donno about Meizu so no comments about that
G6 sounds 'more flat' than V20 ? Was your V20 tuned by B&O ? What kind of headphones did you use ?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #738 of 5,166
Ok clean flash makes a hell of a difference with sauron mod. It makes the regular streaming music unlistenable now. Distortion is clearly there in low bitrate tracks. Flac sounds a lot cleaner now.

I am thinking of donating some money to the developer on xda. It's beyond excellence.

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #739 of 5,166
Ok clean flash makes a hell of a difference with sauron mod. It makes the regular streaming music unlistenable now. Distortion is clearly there in low bitrate tracks. Flac sounds a lot cleaner now.

I am thinking of donating some money to the developer on xda. It's beyond excellence.
is there an app or way to tell when sauron is installed correctly? An app or something?

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #742 of 5,166
ZTE Axon 7 is on Flash Sale right now on Gearbest worth USD 250. Is it still worth to pick one right now? Will it be a significant upgrade compared to my LG V10?

Audio and camera no.... I'm not sure if they have changed anything with recent updates but it lacks some treble and air that the v10 has especially with more neutral cans, everything else like battery life and speakers yes but significant isn't a word I'd use either way....just better

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #743 of 5,166
Question. I'm thinking of picking up a Moto G5 Plus 64GB to use as a dedicated portable music player.

Currently I'm using Napster\Rhapsody streaming as my primary source for music. I have an Audioquest DragonFly Red that I will connect via the micro USB port and a USB OTG cable. I'm going for the 64GB version rather than the 32GB so this phone can serve as a backup if something should happen to my MXPE.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #744 of 5,166
ZTE Axon 7 is on Flash Sale right now on Gearbest worth USD 250. Is it still worth to pick one right now? Will it be a significant upgrade compared to my LG V10?
I fear it will be a downgrade.
Audiowise certainly. For audio recording, camera use also. For the price difference I'd buy a V20.
Or wait a bit until G6 (or even V30) price becomes attractive (that means aound $ 300).

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #745 of 5,166
Question. I'm thinking of picking up a Moto G5 Plus 64GB to use as a dedicated portable music player.

Currently I'm using Napster\Rhapsody streaming as my primary source for music. I have an Audioquest DragonFly Red that I will connect via the micro USB port and a USB OTG cable. I'm going for the 64GB version rather than the 32GB so this phone can serve as a backup if something should happen to my MXPE.

Opinions?

Thanks!

I'm using the E4 plus with q1 as my backup and home listening while my v20 is being repaired and it works great so I can't imagine the G5 being any worse especially with a good camera and memory card slot

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #746 of 5,166

Opinions?

Thanks!

Don't know why I can't accept the fact that everytime I'm gonna listen to some music I need to plug some USB DAC. I'm more practical, so for the price of G5 Plus I would rather get an One M9 to use with V4A or Sauron audio mods. Simpler with great audio quality too.

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #747 of 5,166
Yes there is magisk manager : -

https://imgur.com/a/TIoOn

I have heard that beta 5 improved a lot over the last stable version. Let's see.

Actually that's not a guarantee, right now using an One M8 that couldn't get V4A, ported Dolby Atmos from Axon 7 or Le Max 3 or AM3D Zirene to work even though Magisk pointed as installed.

Best way to know is making the ajustments and feeling the difference.

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #748 of 5,166
Actually that's not a guarantee, right now using an One M8 that couldn't get V4A, ported Dolby Atmos from Axon 7 or Le Max 3 or AM3D Zirene to work even though Magisk pointed as installed.

Best way to know is making the ajustments and feeling the difference.

Yes you are right. That's why i trust my ears when it comes to audio. Ainur by default has no interface or app of it's own. Difference is easily noticeable. No need to trust any app. I am currently using its beta 6. Performance gain is extraordinary over the last stable.

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #749 of 5,166
I fear it will be a downgrade.
Audiowise certainly. For audio recording, camera use also. For the price difference I'd buy a V20.
Or wait a bit until G6 (or even V30) price becomes attractive (that means aound $ 300).

Audio and camera no.... I'm not sure if they have changed anything with recent updates but it lacks some treble and air that the v10 has especially with more neutral cans, everything else like battery life and speakers yes but significant isn't a word I'd use either way....just better

Noted guys thanks for the inputs. Been wandering off on picking the Axon or not but I guess V20 is much more safer bet. Or even V30.

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #750 of 5,166
Maybe not as good as the V20/V30 in all ways... But the Axon 7 Mini is available from Best Buy for under $185. Audio from earphone jack as good or better than Full sized Axon 7. IMHO, Slight step down from the LH phones, but good for on the go where there is ambient noise that reduces quality of sound from all phones, dap's, etc,,, Price-wise, a very good phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back