Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Nov 27, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #781 of 5,166
Perhaps the "DS" stands for dual sim and the phones are in every other way identical.
true, ds stands for dual sim, but unfortunately, the phones are not identical at all. they are not sharing the same roms, and while rom development is pretty active for the "regular" g6, those poor h870ds users are still trying to get root for their phones. that's one of the reasons i abandoned my plans of buying a g6.

in a nutshell:
h870ds: double sim, quad dac, no wireless charging, no root
h870: single sim, regular (qualcomm) dac, wireless charging, root + custom roms

Nov 28, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #785 of 5,166
Guys, anyone had a chance to compare audiophone vs. usual smartphone + dragonfly or other small external dac+amp (a compact one)?

I can't see ideal smartphone + music phone for good money on the market to satisfy me. So I'm pondering on having something like LeEco Cool1 + dragonfly or something like that..

Artpiggo, too bad you did not have a chance to compare your music phone zoo with VIVO x5 or x6... :frowning2:

Lately I'm a bit disappointed in my vivo x6: I can't hear difference between HiFi and ordinary mode.. It sounds like something got wrong with amplification... I rolled back to old firmware and thus feeling did not change. I wonder what could happen.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #786 of 5,166
@alexandis I only have chance to test x5max and x5pro but it was pretty long time now and no more production so i just let that go. anyway I summarize the signature in excel sheet already even though it is not descriptive.

Regarding your DAC question, I think it is very depended on a lot of factors such as preference and matching. I have tested a small dac like dragonfly which black is fun and bassy sounding while red is treble-oriented and detailed. but I found both of them has not-wide soundstage. Aqua DAC is another good DAC which I found it natural and smooth sound but again I didn't find a wide soundstage here.

But if compare with audiophone, they should be more or less comparable with mid-tier audiophone (vivo x9, letv x800, meizu pro 6 plus) depending on matching and preference of course.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #787 of 5,166
I'm planning to get the mi6 not primarily because of the audio but because of the phone's performance. I wonder how's the phone sound quality since it doesn't have a 3mm audio jack and needs an adapter for the earphones to be used. Anyone has tried the mi6? How does it compare to other phones out there?

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #788 of 5,166
Could I suggest you to consider a dac for SQ? Especially for devices without aux a DFR or a Fiio could be the answer.
BTW, IMO I would consider something with a higher % of screen, (ex: honor v10 just announced, on sale next week starting from 350$)but the Mi6 its a beast anyway

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #789 of 5,166
...I wonder how's the phone sound quality since it doesn't have a 3mm audio jack and needs an adapter for the earphones to be used....
in these cases, the 'jackless' phones are only acting as a digital transport, and the sound quality will be 99% down to the dac/amp you'll use. get a proper dac, or add aptx and use that for wireless transfer.

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #790 of 5,166
in these cases, the 'jackless' phones are only acting as a digital transport, and the sound quality will be 99% down to the dac/amp you'll use. get a proper dac, or add aptx and use that for wireless transfer.
Which one small size dac/amp will you recommend to pair with MI6? Im thinking about little standalone dap or / smartphone and little dac. BT is a must, in case I can't use cable.

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #791 of 5,166
Which one small size dac/amp will you recommend to pair with MI6? Im thinking about little standalone dap or / smartphone and little dac. BT is a must, in case I can't use cable.
in this case, get a shanling m1 or a cayin n3. both work as a pc+android compatible usb dac and both support aptx. also, ak xb10 might be a good pick: lightweight, decent battery life, supports aptx hd, and has plenty of power for most iem's.

if you're about to use a full-size headphone, you might need something more powerful, though.

an other, fairly cheap solution: tennmak aptx mmcx cable from aliexpress, around $30. pair it with your mmcx earphones (if you have any) and you're good to go.

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #793 of 5,166
Nov 29, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #794 of 5,166
Thanks for the link. There's not much impression yet. I mainly use earbud and even have a couple of high impedance one. It's interesting to know it got such powerful amp.
I just found out my friend wife own one. But asking her for audition would be difficult.

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #795 of 5,166
Thanks, Artpiggo! :)
Well, if things are like that - there's no sense to bother about the solution with cheap phone + dragonfly at all: I didn't get used to the level of midrange smartphones :)
So let's wait, maybe there will be ideal music phone for me soon: with IPS screen, huge battery, decent camera and built-in DAC.
All or nothing! :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back