Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Sep 22, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #406 of 5,166
I actually don't use iem much, so I'm a little woried that the meizu won't have enough power for what I would be using with it. ( I would mainly use ATH-900x and HD-558 headphones, but it would nice to be able to bring my K-702 with me somewhere and be able to power it ). Thanks for the infos, i'll think a little more about it.

ATH-900x and HD-558 would be alright. It requires only less than 1 Vrms Amp so Meizu can provide that

But K702, I don't think it can cuz it requires around 2 Vrms amp so better use with desktop amp at home.

Reference: https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/

Sep 22, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #407 of 5,166
Btw... its a software thing? Could someone on XDA allow MQA decoding on phones with good music capabilities on rooted phones?

I don' know much about MQA. But at first Dragonfly dac cannot perform MQA but after they develop new FW, it is now supported.

I'm not sure if they need to pay for license to get support on it either. But I don't think it is what XDA community can do easily otherwise there should be a lot of modded rom for MQA for various smartphones but in reality, It doesn't.

TBH, I'm not that into MQA stuff cuz I have a tons of Hi-Res collection already. Just need a memory slot and good to go.

Sep 22, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #408 of 5,166
I looked into it some more and I ended up getting even more confused.

I found 2 nice portable amp/dacs ( TheBit Opus#11 and the new Shanling UP, both using that ESS Sabre ES9018K2M dac ) both costing 150€, but the second one doesn't have an internal battery, so it would ruin a phone's one.
And so now there is this one possibility of getting some random cheap phone ( i want to try chinese brand, maybe xiaomi redmi note 4 or Meizu m3s ), around 150€ too, and have a have combo for only 300€. I would connect the dac to the phone to use it as its dac and be able to use it on a pc outside too. This possbility would save some autonomy from the phone's battery, that I guess can go pretty fast when listening to higher quality audio files. Only downside I can see is that it would use more space ( definitly won't fit in a pocket ), but it doesn't seem that much troublesome for me.

What do you guys think about that, and how do you think these two products would perform musically against for exemple the Meizu pro 6 plus or the Shanling M2S.

By the way there is also the " FiiO Alpen e17K 2", I wanted to stick with the ES 9018K2M or the AK4490(EQ) since I know they are known to be pretty good dac chips, but this one doesn't seem half bad either. It's slightly cheaper too. link ( its in french ) I'm not sure if I can connect it with an Android device though. I think it will get updated this year since they updated another model, but I guess it would be too late for me.

This is getting a little out of hand, and doesn't have that much to do with the thread anymore, maybe I should go over to the recommendation thread?

I like Opus #11 sound. It quite similar to their OPUS1 DAP. I believe it will do better than both Meizu pro 6+ and M2S for you. Just need to ensure that your phone with UAPP is compatible with Opus #11 Dac which is usually rather supported for various mainstream smartphones.

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #409 of 5,166
I don' know much about MQA. But at first Dragonfly dac cannot perform MQA but after they develop new FW, it is now supported.

I'm not sure if they need to pay for license to get support on it either. But I don't think it is what XDA community can do easily otherwise there should be a lot of modded rom for MQA for various smartphones but in reality, It doesn't.

TBH, I'm not that into MQA stuff cuz I have a tons of Hi-Res collection already. Just need a memory slot and good to go.
Ya, I'm so interested in MQA cause I got no hi-res music.
Btw dragonfly now has MQA rendering but I can't understand if it will decode a song before sending music to the cans or if can play MQA without any issues( as any player MQA ready from the start like the v30 :) ) without decoding the file and just playing it.
Here's the link if you understand better than me: http://www.audioquest.com/dragonfly-series-faq#MQA
EDIT: about modded rom with MQA capabilities I think that now is just not needed from anybody, wait after the V30 is on market as first MQA capable phone and tidal update the app to let smartphone users to play MQA

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #410 of 5,166
I like Opus #11 sound. It quite similar to their OPUS1 DAP. I believe it will do better than both Meizu pro 6+ and M2S for you. Just need to ensure that your phone with UAPP is compatible with Opus #11 Dac which is usually rather supported for various mainstream smartphones.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I guess I should just get a cheap phone for now, and see later what I should do. I actually have a low tier sabre dac at home ( se9023 ), and I plan on getting a nfb-11.28 ( used to be the big se9018 but now it's 9028 pro i believe ) as soon as possible, so having another audio device with a sabre dac wouldn't be so interesting. I like their sound, a lot, but maybe I should try something else while I'm at it.

That's why I was interesed in the M2s, since it got that ak4490 chip, that I wanted to try out. There is the fiio Q5 that should be released any soon too, with a double ak4490 chip ( the price will probaby be a little too high though, but I have time )
What I can do though is getting the new 2R2 11 from audio gd which I think is a little warmer, and get a device with se9018k2m chip for outside.( i would be a little sad to not get that nfb-11 i've been waiting for get for quite a while though )

I'm sorry to be this annoying but I'm just sucked in this black hole of trying to find the best purchase to make.

Sep 23, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #411 of 5,166
I looked into it some more and I ended up getting even more confused.

I found 2 nice portable amp/dacs ( TheBit Opus#11 and the new Shanling UP, both using that ESS Sabre ES9018K2M dac ) both costing 150€, but the second one doesn't have an internal battery, so it would ruin a phone's one.
And so now there is this one possibility of getting some random cheap phone ( i want to try chinese brand, maybe xiaomi redmi note 4 or Meizu m3s ), around 150€ too, and have a have combo for only 300€. I would connect the dac to the phone to use it as its dac and be able to use it on a pc outside too. This possbility would save some autonomy from the phone's battery, that I guess can go pretty fast when listening to higher quality audio files. Only downside I can see is that it would use more space ( definitly won't fit in a pocket ), but it doesn't seem that much troublesome for me.

What do you guys think about that, and how do you think these two products would perform musically against for exemple the Meizu pro 6 plus or the Shanling M2S.

By the way there is also the " FiiO Alpen e17K 2", I wanted to stick with the ES 9018K2M or the AK4490(EQ) since I know they are known to be pretty good dac chips, but this one doesn't seem half bad either. It's slightly cheaper too. link ( its in french ) I'm not sure if I can connect it with an Android device though. I think it will get updated this year since they updated another model, but I guess it would be too late for me.

This is getting a little out of hand, and doesn't have that much to do with the thread anymore, maybe I should go over to the recommendation thread?
if you're about to get a sabre based portable dac without internal battery, you might want to check out the sabaj da3, too.

i have a phone with a small battery, so i rather bought a dac with an own power supply. in fact, i got 2: an xduoo xd-05 with an ak4490 inside and a centrance hifi-m8. any of these would blow away when used with full-sized cans. do not hesitate to get either of these, or the opus#11, especially if you're not an iem guy. also, as artpiggo said, the k702 is a power hungry beast, so you'd better get a proper amp to drive it.

my current idea about audiophile phones is that they might be a very, very good alternative compared to a midrange dap, but if you need sheer power, just get a separate unit.

btw i've heard from a reliable source that the r2r 11 is sensational. i'm tempted to get one.

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #413 of 5,166
Hello again, can the meizu pro 7 plus drive an Oppo pm3 or the New Sony wh1000xm2 !?

Or i should buy a cheap Phone like xiaomi mi A1 and buy a dedicated dap for them !?

PM3 is quite easy to drive can. so meizu is doing the job right. But if you think you need another level of music experience like calmness, blackness of background. You should choose dedicate DAP to bring all can's fullest performance.

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #415 of 5,166
if you're about to get a sabre based portable dac without internal battery, you might want to check out the sabaj da3, too.

i have a phone with a small battery, so i rather bought a dac with an own power supply. in fact, i got 2: an xduoo xd-05 with an ak4490 inside and a centrance hifi-m8. any of these would blow away when used with full-sized cans. do not hesitate to get either of these, or the opus#11, especially if you're not an iem guy. also, as artpiggo said, the k702 is a power hungry beast, so you'd better get a proper amp to drive it.

my current idea about audiophile phones is that they might be a very, very good alternative compared to a midrange dap, but if you need sheer power, just get a separate unit.

btw i've heard from a reliable source that the r2r 11 is sensational. i'm tempted to get one.

Getting the opus#11 looks like the proper choice to make, then followed by the R2R11. I just hope I can buy the opus soon enough, I have a deal right now for 140€ instead of 200€.

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #416 of 5,166
Getting the opus#11 looks like the proper choice to make, then followed by the R2R11. I just hope I can buy the opus soon enough, I have a deal right now for 140€ instead of 200€.
son-video have a long running deal for the opus#11. i considered buying that during the summer. i only moved to different targets because it lacks a volume control, but still, it's a good looking device both from desing and specs point of views.

the r2r 11 looks like a non-limited model, so i guess you'll be able to get one for some years to come.

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #417 of 5,166
Question to the experts: how the SQ could change going from a source MQA capable like the v30 to a device with better DAC and amplifier like fiio Q5 ( still not ready to sell, If I will not go for the v30 I will buy it or something similar, but I wanna compare the lg to something like the fiio: here the stats: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-in-share-the-same-amp-module-with-x7.772186/ )
Remember that I will listen music only from tidal so device MQA ready will play 24bit/192khz while the others will use max 24/96 files
Curious to know the answer.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #418 of 5,166
I hope that MQA works better on the LG V30 than it is currently doing on the desktop computers and streamers. I made the switch to Deezer using Soundiiz. Very happy. It sounds noticeably better to me, but I have old, damaged ears. Deezer ap seems more intuitve. Supposedly Deezer is getting MQA. Right now I have premium subscriptions to Pandora, Deezer and Tidal.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...l-tidal-hifi-streaming-issues-thread/?page=34

Users who are viewing this thread

Back