Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 5, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #168 of 5,168
Is there any minimum threshold for an iem to kick v20 into high impedance mode, is 32ohm enough or we need more.. ?

I am talking with respect to letv x900 here.

Depends. I don't know the logic of software to trigger High impedance mode.
ATH IM04 which has very low impedance can be triggered to use high imp mode. while U12/UE900/V6S cannot trigger.
What I found is dynamic driver seems to have better chance to trigger to high imp mode if imp > 32 ohm while BA iem seems to have random chance.

What I you need to do to ensure 100% activate to high gain mode is plugging in male to female adapter + ibasso burn in cable(or if you have high impedance cans like HD650/HD800/VE ZEN can use too) attach together first. Then the device will notice high gain. After that you unplug burn in cable and attach your cans/iem.

Munkong-Gadget-Topic-Reply-1501295726-800x600.jpg

This is male to female adapter.

img_1052-0.jpg

This is iBasso Burn in cable.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #169 of 5,168
My next iem choise is between hifiman re400 and vsonic gr07. Both are dynamics with impedance exceeding 32 ohm. I am still unsure about which one to pick though. So it looks like i won't be needing that.

Thanks artpiggo as always.

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #170 of 5,168
Aug 6, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #174 of 5,168
Just spoke to my provider the other day about a data problem. She noted my long history (25 years of being their cell phone customer) and I mentioned that I would probably be moving on due to the high cost of the new plans when you upgrade your phone. She put me on hold for two minutes and returned with great news: my data problem was solved for a one time charge of $10.00, she offered me a new plan for my two phone that only goes up $15.00 a month AND she will watch for sales on the V20 and call me when it goes on sale. I am guessing late September on the last point. Very happy with the outcome and excited about getting a V20. I am sure the V30 will be awesome, but way too expensive for me.

If I can nab a V20 for $300.00 - $350.00 (Canadian $'s), with a better, slightly more expensive plan, I will be one VERY happy camper. Birthday gift to myself next month.

Shane D

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #175 of 5,168
To artpiggo (and others)...
I like the sound signature from my LeTV x800 phone (the unfortunate "USA" version) and I agree with how you described it in your table. I also use a Fioo X3gen2 DAP. Even if I like both x800's and Fioo's sound signatures, using the x800 I more often miss the extra details and clarity I get with my Fioo DAP.

Even if the (not so loved) Snapdragon 810 phones are already "old technology" I'm now considering a cheap potential "upgrade" from my LeTV x800 to a bigger LeTV x900. If not I'll stay with the x800 and start saving for a more expensive LG v20 as its price continues to drop.

Is the sound of LeTV x900 somehow improved in details or other(which?) respects compared to x800's? Maybe has x900's amp also that little bit more driving power compared to x800's?
Also... (sorry).. maybe do you feel any other of phone's functions not obvious just from specs to be improved compared to x800's? (screen fidelety+brightness,camera,reception,?...)

So, How much, if any, could a change from LeTV x800 to LeTV x900 be felt as any of an upgrade to me? Is the sound any "better"? Where does the multimedia monster LG V20 stand sound-wise compared to both these LeTV phones? And where all these phones stand compared to Fioo X3gen2's sound quality?

Do you think a LeTV x800 to x900 (now cheap) change could make any sense -or- better to stay with my x800 -and- save for some "real sound upgrade" (thinking about LG V20 here) for when I can afford it in future?

Thanks a (very) lot!

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #176 of 5,168
Note sure how much we can trust on this info but please see the link below regarding LG V30 for LG Fan.

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v30-whole-new-video-experience-791623/

1. Main camera with f/1.6
2. 6" OLED Fullvision
3. New Quad DAC + B&O tuning + MQA support(!?)
I'm very interested in the LG V30. The HTC 10 screen is just too small for me. The screen is so small I have trouble using any keyboard, such as for texting for example. I would prefer to see a two year warranty with a new LG phone. And I hope LG doesn't mess around by limiting some features geographically to my USA detriment. I was even considering crossing over to the dark side by buying a iPhone 8 plus size with iSINE20 and Cipher cable. But, I think I will be happiest by staying with Android. And I think I will believe an Android with Tidal MQA when I see it. Not sayin' it won't happen, but seein' is believen'. Still. I would like to test an iPhone/iSine20.

Recent: The Temper Trap. The XX, Mahler's Titan, Faye Wong. So much to listen to!

Aug 6, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #177 of 5,168
To artpiggo (and others)...
I like the sound signature from my LeTV x800 phone (the unfortunate "USA" version) and I agree with how you described it in your table. I also use a Fioo X3gen2 DAP. Even if I like both x800's and Fioo's sound signatures, using the x800 I more often miss the extra details and clarity I get with my Fioo DAP.

Even if the (not so loved) Snapdragon 810 phones are already "old technology" I'm now considering a cheap potential "upgrade" to the bigger LeTV x900. Otherwise I'll stay with the LeTV x800 and start saving for a more expensive LG v20 as its price continues to drop.

Is the sound of LeTV x900 somehow improved in details or other(which?) respects compared to x800's? Maybe has x900's amp also that little bit more driving power compared to x800's?
Also... (sorry).. maybe do you feel any other of phone's functions not obvious just from specs to be improved compared to x800's? (screen fidelety+brightness,camera,reception,?...)

So, How much, if any, could a change from LeTV x800 to LeTV x900 be felt as any of an upgrade to me? Is the sound any "better"? Where does the multimedia monster LG V20 stand sound-wise compared to both these LeTV phones? And where all these phones stand compared to Fioo X3gen2's sound quality?

Do you think a LeTV x800 to x900 (now cheap) change could make any sense -or- better to stay with my x800 -and- save for some "real sound upgrade" (thinking about LG V20 here) for when I can afford it in future?

Thanks a (very) lot!

Letv has no more support now since the company broke out. Despite a good sound, I think you should save up money for V20 instead. I prefer it over even fiio x5iii which is too smooth sounding to me.

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #178 of 5,168
Letv has no more support now since the company broke out. Despite a good sound, I think you should save up money for V20 instead. I prefer it over even fiio x5iii which is too smooth sounding to me.

I know about LeEco problems and no official support in future. But then compared to x800usa, LeTV x900 at least once had official support and (Marshmallow) updates. LeTV x900 also has open source code available at htt p://opensource.le.com and has at least a tiny bit of community support/developement still going on; all of which the secretive "USA" version of x800 has not.

I can get a new LeTV x900 for just 170€, so I was considering this small upgrade. I'm also OK with x900 huge screen size.

I was just trying to understand the kind of difference and improvement (if any) I could expect sound-wise, this would make the most impact to my decision. If I learn that among other small improvements there would not also be at least a small improvement in sound quality - then I may skip this tiny upgrade; I'd then live on with my x800 until some LG V20 becomes cheaper older technology :)

Thanks for your helpful commitment here

Edit: As from Aug 8, LeTV x900 for a low price (at Spemall) is sold out

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #179 of 5,168
Hi All,

Just curious if anyone here have any experience with ZTE Axon 7 Max. It has a solid build and specs, I found very little information about the phone on the net. The price is a bit lower than the regular ZTE Axon 7. If the Max has the same audio quality as the regular Axon 7 then it would be a steal.

Thanks!

Aug 8, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #180 of 5,168
FB_IMG_1502178221308.jpg Mark your calendar and wait to see product release conference. ^~^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back