Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 8, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #181 of 5,166
I know about Letv/LeEco problems and no more official support in future, but at least x900 once had real official support and (Marshmallow) updates, it now has open source code available at htt p://opensource.le.com, and has at least a tiny bit of community support/developement still going on; all of which my secretive "USA" version of x800 has not.

I can get a new LeTV x900 for just 170€. So I was thinking of, maybe, doing this small intermediate "upgrade". I also see x900 huge (screen) size as a (small) advantage - but that alone is not so important to me.

I was asking specific questions if you might help me understand the kind of difference and improvement (if any) I could expect sound-wise, which is the most important part to me :}

If I learn that among other small improvements the LeTV x900 may bring me, there would not also be at least a small improvement in sound quality - then I may as well skip this tiny upgrade... and live on with my x800, wait until LG V20 becomes older technology and cheaper :)

Thanks for all your great and useful work here
excuse me bro, where can you get the x900 for 170, i have been looking for it for a while but cant find it.

Aug 8, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #182 of 5,166
I know that LG G6 and V20 are great options and infact on top there in audio department but i am more inclined towards OnePlus or Honor. And it's not like i am some sort of audiophile that is trying to nitpick every stuff, i just want more than decent audio experience. So i want to know which one would be better amongst 3T and Honor 8 pro in audio via 3.5 mm jack ?

According to Pocketnow`s audio review, the Oneplus 3T has surprisingly good audio performance, and in contrary to most other reviewers, they know what they`re talking about when it comes to audio.
Huawei is generally no good choice when you`re looking for good sound. They all have very weak amps and the quality is bottom-average (Mate 9, P9 etc) at best and absolute garbage (Nexus 6p and others) at worst. I`m speaking of my own experience and their reviews confirm it. Look for "real audio review" on youtube, they tested many phones, including Huawei`s.

In my own experience, if you search for affordable phones with top notch audio quality, go for HTC10, meizu pro 6 plus or a V20 (best of them all in audio) if you can find one cheap. If you`re in for older phones, Meizu Pro 5, Letv x900 (and any other letv with seperate audio hardware), Mi Note pro are also good choices. Iphones until the 6s and the Xiaomi Mi5s have also above average sound, but they`re still worse than the ones mentioned above. Avoid Nubia devices though. Despite all their audio hardware, they sound like crap. Same goes for Huawei.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #185 of 5,166
Great list, as I compared G6 quad dac with xplay 6 I have some observations: G6 with adapter has incredible sound, incredible same, crisp, crystalline and flat, sounded more powerful than xplay 6. On the other hand Xplay 6 with DSD mode is Very, very good, sounded more detailed but in my perception not so much crystalline as the G6. I think they are very close, each with its particularity, I think G6 is already in the limit of improvements, Xplay 6 still think they can improve with updates.
Use adapter in both, the sound changes completely, even at low volumes, creates body, life and extension.

What is this adapter you are writing about? Thanks

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #187 of 5,166
Read my first post. I put in spoiler. Click it.

Do you mean the first post in this thread? I am going to get a V20 next month and I am trying to remember the "trick" to get the quad DAC firing with low impedance phones. I just got a set of Grado's and looking to get some Oppo PM3's in the near future. I really want to get the best out of these phones right off the bat.
I am in line for the HD6XX in December, but I assume that 300ohm phones will take care of that for me.

Thanks!

Shane D

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #188 of 5,166
Yes first post of mine. They have info about adapter. Go see it.

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #189 of 5,166
I have been trying to find out if the LG V20 uses its quad DAC for all output, like Spotify, or only with built in software, but can't seem to find any agreement, I see people stating that it will, and others say that it won't.

The application that has been mentioned by some to make it use the DAC for all output is not in the Google app store any longer - or at least I could not find it.

I read through this thread again, but did not see the answer to my question. Sorry if I am asking questions that have already been answered.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #190 of 5,166
I have been trying to find out if the LG V20 uses its quad DAC for all output, like Spotify, or only with built in software, but can't seem to find any agreement, I see people stating that it will, and others say that it won't.

The application that has been mentioned by some to make it use the DAC for all output is not in the Google app store any longer - or at least I could not find it.

I read through this thread again, but did not see the answer to my question. Sorry if I am asking questions that have already been answered.

If Hi-Fi symbol is activated, then it is concluded that Quad-DAC is utilized.

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #193 of 5,166
Do you mean the first post in this thread? I am going to get a V20 next month and I am trying to remember the "trick" to get the quad DAC firing with low impedance phones. I just got a set of Grado's and looking to get some Oppo PM3's in the near future. I really want to get the best out of these phones right off the bat.
I am in line for the HD6XX in December, but I assume that 300ohm phones will take care of that for me.

Thanks!

Shane D

There is no need to buy an adapter if your low impdendance headphones have remote control buttons. You just hold the play button (the one that toggles OK google) on the headphones while connecting them to the phone and then release immediately after connecting. You need a little bit of the right timing, but if you did it right, the DAC will go in AUX mode and the max volume will rip your ears apart.
To confirm that you did it right, you can go into audio settings , click on the dac, and if it says "external device connected", it is in aux mode. If not, your timing was wrong. You`ll also know that it didn`t work if the music starts playing automatically after connecting the headphones, so just try again.
If your headphone doesn`t have remote control buttons, you will need a 3.5mm male to female adapter. Even the cheapest one will work.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #194 of 5,166
Does this impedance trick also work with x900 ? I have 3.5 male to female adapter lying around which i checked to see if anything changes but couldn't tell the difference.

Aug 14, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #195 of 5,166
I've only decided not to get V20 because of the trickery with adapters. It isn't an advanced automatisation if it's blocking you sometimes. If you are marketing a phone towards power users and/or audiophiles, why not give it a manual override while letting it detect headphone's impedance as best it can? Given how V30 is shaping up to be a more mainstream phone in a few ways, I doubt that this option would be implemented. If this trend with phones continues, next year we will get V40 without headphone jack but a "very powerful" usb-c adapter/dac thingy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back