Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jul 27, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #151 of 5,166
Hey artpiggo.
Have you updated your xplay6? And how do you feel about the sound? Is there any difference?
I'm asking because I have been reading on vivo forums that the sound has changed with the 7,1 update.

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #152 of 5,166
Beta update doesn't appear to me yet. Need to wait for official 15/8

Jul 27, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #154 of 5,166
Pro 6 plus is on sale everywhere (<400€), which is indicative of the next model arrival.
But Pro 6 Plus is just a wet dud because you can't expand storage (double nano-sim = no micro-sd, they should have kept micro-sim format so the second slot could be used for sim or microsd).

Let's hope the Pro 7 will accomodate a microsd card, otherwise it's just another dud.
i have a 64 gb pro 6 and there's always at least 20 gb free space left. with tidal and a nas full of music i don't really need too much of storage space.

get a g6 dual, it has a hybrid slot.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #155 of 5,166
i have a 64 gb pro 6 and there's always at least 20 gb free space left. with tidal and a nas full of music i don't really need too much of storage space.

get a g6 dual, it has a hybrid slot.

Good luck streaming (lossless) music in some countries (especially when you're abroad), and a NAS is certainly useful at home, but on the go...
Not to mention I prefer to pay for the music I choose rather than a monthly subscription for a platform that doesn't have access to half the music I enjoy.

I see catering of the crowd that streams music and has no use of dedicated home audio equipment, but what about people who enjoy having their own library on the go ?
64Gb is a pathetic joke when even Apple/Samsung proposes 128Gb/256Gb versions of their TOTL phones. Same for DAPs.

Marketeers should start using their minds and stop designing smartphones with hi-res capabilities and audio circuitry, only to slaughter them by proposing no capacity for (hi-res) music.
And to be fair, it IS pure laziness, because hybrid slots exist and are easy to implement since they propose dual sim as a standard on good smartphones, but since they insist on forcing nano-sims onto people, we lose that option so they can gain 0.4cm2 of space...

I see Pro 7 Plus at least should have a 128Gb model, but 256Gb would be VERY welcome if there is no expansion.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #156 of 5,166
Can't beat a micro-SD slot. Especially in the case of re-instating your phone should anything go wrong.

And as for storage, you can technically have almost infinite storage if you have a card slot. Not to forget, too, people who use the photo and video functions of the phones extensively. 64Gb really isn't a lot if you have like 20Gb worth of FLAC files and take 1080p videos regularly.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #157 of 5,166
I would say the Onkyo GRANBEAT player/phone is the best way to go currently, I mean this was built as a player first with Sabre DAC/Amp then a phone was built around that, it has balanced out, nice battery life basically the only thing it seems to lack is the Dual SD card slot and good microphones for recording concerts etc.

In regard to more data USB OTG seems to be the way to go as long as you don't get a cheap USBto microsd reader that keeps disconnecting like one of mine does.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #158 of 5,166
Good luck streaming (lossless) music in some countries (especially when you're abroad), and a NAS is certainly useful at home, but on the go...
Not to mention I prefer to pay for the music I choose rather than a monthly subscription for a platform that doesn't have access to half the music I enjoy.

I see catering of the crowd that streams music and has no use of dedicated home audio equipment, but what about people who enjoy having their own library on the go ?
64Gb is a pathetic joke when even Apple/Samsung proposes 128Gb/256Gb versions of their TOTL phones. Same for DAPs.

Marketeers should start using their minds and stop designing smartphones with hi-res capabilities and audio circuitry, only to slaughter them by proposing no capacity for (hi-res) music.
And to be fair, it IS pure laziness, because hybrid slots exist and are easy to implement since they propose dual sim as a standard on good smartphones, but since they insist on forcing nano-sims onto people, we lose that option so they can gain 0.4cm2 of space...

I see Pro 7 Plus at least should have a 128Gb model, but 256Gb would be VERY welcome if there is no expansion.
users' habits are so different. 99% of the time i listen to music on my phone i have access to wifi, and also i have some flash drives that i can use in my car. (i built a good sounding car audio.) on the go, a 64gb phone makes perfect sense for me. if you travel a lot, you have different needs, and i'm perfectly fine with that. feel free to get whatever suits you better then, for instance a g6 dual or a dedicated dap.

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #159 of 5,166
For me 64GB is more then enough, only listen to high quality mp3 and have some 1080p videos. I'll admit, my 32GB M7 is not enough considering the system, apps, photos, games, etc. Since I listen just to mp3 the amp is more interesting to me than the DAC`s resolution.

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #160 of 5,166
I would say the Onkyo GRANBEAT player/phone is the best way to go currently, I mean this was built as a player first with Sabre DAC/Amp then a phone was built around that, it has balanced out, nice battery life basically the only thing it seems to lack is the Dual SD card slot and good microphones for recording concerts etc.

In regard to more data USB OTG seems to be the way to go as long as you don't get a cheap USBto microsd reader that keeps disconnecting like one of mine does.

Lack decent camera as well.

Jul 29, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #161 of 5,166
This not even has any dedicated chip of dac amp. Just helio cpu's sound card. It might be good phone but I dont think it is good enough for earphone experience. That Sony earphone is already compromised earphone that can easily match with most normal phone so I think it is the device centric problem

- wifi/LTE interference
- software not optimized for music playback
-etc.
As DACs have been around for so long I had just assumed there would be a half decent DAC on those chipsets on even the cheapest of phones.

No wonder the sound sounded so poor.

Im gonna test drive some of those phones on that spreadsheet. Thanks

Jul 29, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #162 of 5,166
As DACs have been around for so long I had just assumed there would be a half decent DAC on those chipsets on even the cheapest of phones.

No wonder the sound sounded so poor.

Im gonna test drive some of those phones on that spreadsheet. Thanks

The thing is that besides the DAC itself the software must be on point the extract the best of the DAC. As far as I know since the Snap 800/801 Qualcomm has made a good DAC, but most of the brands didn't care about the audio quality that much, the ones that did delivered outstanding performance in quality like Sony, despite the lack of volume, and HTC.

Aug 4, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #163 of 5,166
Hello everyone I have a problem with the choice of the device I have headphones ostry kc06A I can not choose a phone for these ears the choice is
1) LG V20 (cleaner sound)
2) HTC 10 (warm sound delivery)
This choice drives me crazy, tell me what to take:triportsad:, I'm using dark ears

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #164 of 5,166
Hello everyone I have a problem with the choice of the device I have headphones ostry kc06A I can not choose a phone for these ears the choice is
This choice drives me crazy, tell me what to take:triportsad:, I'm using dark ears

Hi,

I can tell you from experience that LG V20 behaves diffetently depending on headphones you are using. It's amplification and processing changes moment it is connected to high impedance headphones. Difference is hugh. I was using it with Jays a-jays five and connected to Marshall Major II and it just blows away. I am newbie and not commenting as audiophile. But trust me, if possible check/ test/ try LG V20 with high impedance headphones. My gut fill is that headphones might be personal preference but LG V20 with personal choice high impedance headphones is not comparable to mobile phones. It is REALLY GOOD.
P. S. Would be worth checking using POWERAMP ALFA or Neutron as player.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #165 of 5,166

Recommend V20 over HTC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back