Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Oct 22, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #541 of 5,166
Artpiggo (can I call you art? ) that was what I was talking about earlier:
https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.xda-developers.com/lg-root-checker-tool-slow-performance/amp/

Yes, you can. my nickname is art. Thanks for inputting this info.

This may be a bit off-topic, but now with so many smartphones cutting headphone jacks, are there any cable integrated amp/DACs being developed?

The only one I can find is the Audeze Cipher, but that seems proprietary to specific headphones:

https://www.audeze.com/lightning-cable-technology

Obviously there are bulkier portable amp/DAC options out there, but it seems there would be a real market for something like this among audiophiles.

You can try nexus aqua dac. https://www.nexum-design.com/shop

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #542 of 5,166
A DAC integrated in the headphones cable... let's hope that at least the cable is detachable (with standard connections) and you can reuse it further down the line with your newer headphones.
Now it's already the case (an integrated DAC, not within the cable) with wireless headphones or USB headphones, anyway.
edit : you can't have a DAC from an analogue 3.5mm jack connector...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #543 of 5,166
The audeze is the smallest dac you could buy probably.
Take a look on the fiio k1 and especially fiio i1
EDIT:
A question about v20/v30 dac: if I got some lower than 50ohm IEM and I wanna get the best sound possibly I've to activate anyway the full power? I'm asking it cause I will not need more power from the amp to drive them but I know that the full power activate quad dac too

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #544 of 5,166
EDIT:
A question about v20/v30 dac: if I got some lower than 50ohm IEM and I wanna get the best sound possibly I've to activate anyway the full power? I'm asking it cause I will not need more power from the amp to drive them but I know that the full power activate quad dac too

Sometimes i feel the G6 quad dac is under powered with 16ohms earphone. But i crank it up to full volume and seems okish

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #545 of 5,166
Bah.
Will root it anyway when I will buy it so not important.
EDIT:I've read another time my old post and I didn't have explained myself well, I want to maximize the conversion capacity of the lg, should I activate the high impedance mode to do it, right?

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #547 of 5,166

I think the FiiO i1 is closest to what I was thinking. As more smartphone makers ditch the jack, this may be the way things are trending.

This may to some extent be viewed as a plus. Currently the range of smartphones with audiophile chips is small and narrowing.

If we instead see a range of compact, modular cable adapters with amp/dac from multiple audio chip makers come out, this may offer more choice of sound signature without locking you into a specific smartphone. Hopefully the likes of LG/ZTE/vivo will still offer integrated offerings, but this would be a welcome alternative, given how the jack is inexorably being killed off.

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #548 of 5,166
EDIT:

There are a few smaller, like the one included with the new Pixel 2.

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #549 of 5,166
There are a few smaller, like the one included with the new Pixel 2.

Yeah, but the only one that seems to emphasise it as an amp/dac rather than just an adapter is the FiiO one (and Audeze, but it's proprietary). Hopefully we will see more competitors.

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #551 of 5,166
But then you bypass the qualitative DAC in the phone. You have an external USB-C or Lightning DAC that you can use with any android or iDevices. So it's probably not from LG that you will see such an ubiquitous device. Or you already did see it (with the LG HiFi Plus 'friend' module for the G5).

Bah.
Will root it anyway when I will buy it so not important.
EDIT:I've read another time my old post and I didn't have explained myself well, I want to maximize the conversion capacity of the lg, should I activate the high impedance mode to do it, right?

Before buying take your time to get info to be sure you will be able to root it without losing important things for you (example with the international V20 : you loose USB OnTheGo or you get issues with the camera). Also, with qualitative CIEMs I noticed you get slightly better sound in low power mode (if you want to test, you have to level the volume of both modes, or else you could be fooled by the higher volume). So rooting is not essential for that matter (it could be for many others).
edit : what do you mean with 'maximising the conversion capacity' ?

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #552 of 5,166
Howdy y'all!

Was reading through this awesome thread (and the Google shared doc) but couldn't find the answer i needed.
Looking for the best sound quality i can get from an android phone (headphones and AUX) as long as it has the following:

1. decent battery life
2. smaller than 5.5 inch (i.e not a phablet)
3. expandable memory
4. works well as a phone...

Any help from the gurus here would be much appreciated!!

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #553 of 5,166
Howdy y'all!

Was reading through this awesome thread (and the Google shared doc) but couldn't find the answer i needed.
Looking for the best sound quality i can get from an android phone (headphones and AUX) as long as it has the following:

1. decent battery life
3. expandable memory

by 5.5 you mean compact form.right?

try Lg G6 Quad dac Version and V30 although its 6 incher its in new form factor of 18:9.
last year's zte axon 7 is also good

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #554 of 5,166
Howdy y'all!

1. decent battery life
3. expandable memory

Say the budget or go for the v30. Best battery , best sound, expandable memory and a 6 inch 18:9 in a standard 5.5 inches footprint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back