Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jul 10, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #3,572 of 5,166
I have a quick trial. using the cracked http://myppc.ru/45162-usb-audio-player-pro-v425.html

If you set internal audio driver = HiRes Direct Driver
and Hires Audio flags = Direct PCM

Then it will be DSD Mode. (which is great and comparable to HiFI)

If you are using instruction above regard changing package name by apk editer pro. It may work in HiFi mode? probably.

Actually I did read through the supported app in UAPP and xplay6 is listed, so I thought it is supported. I guess I misunderstood it.
https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/hires-audio-driver

5e12d9efe1097b5c65335f19971e36e3.png

Thanks man, seems like it works on DSD, but I guess HIFI mode still requires the apk editor. It is quite a hassle considering I did purchased the app.

2505621f0162a46f372573cc7c6e2c5e.jpg

PowerAmp works with HIFI but sadly it do not support network folder & xplay6 do not support microsd so I am limited to internal storage.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #3,573 of 5,166
1) Youtube
2) 4Shared Music
3) MX Player
4) Poweramp
5) Google play music
6) n7player
7) tunein radio
8) Neutron
9) Mortplayer music
10) KKBOX
11) Spotify
12) Musixmatch
13) JOOX
14) Shazam
15) Music
16) Gaana
17) Saavn
18) Hungama
19) Raaga
20) Music Player
21) Stafaband
22) Sound Hound
23) Gudang Lagu
24) LINE MUSIC,
25) Music Player (Leopard V7)

Thanks for the list. I guess vivo did support quite a lot of music apps. I will try some of them and see whether they suit my preferences.

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #3,574 of 5,166
Actually I did read through the supported app in UAPP and xplay6 is listed, so I thought it is supported. I guess I misunderstood it.

Thanks man, seems like it works on DSD, but I guess HIFI mode still requires the apk editor. It is quite a hassle considering I did purchased the app.

PowerAmp works with HIFI but sadly it do not support network folder & xplay6 do not support microsd so I am limited to internal storage.

Neutron also has network folder.

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #3,575 of 5,166
I have a quick trial. using the cracked http://myppc.ru/45162-usb-audio-player-pro-v425.html

If you set internal audio driver = HiRes Direct Driver
and Hires Audio flags = Direct PCM

Then it will be DSD Mode. (which is great and comparable to HiFI)

If you are using instruction above regard changing package name by apk editer pro. It may work in HiFi mode? probably.

Very strange, as under same settings it doesn't seem to work on my Vivo NEX (Vivo NEX S in China). NEX also supports native DSD playback just like your Xplay 6, but under same settings DSD mode will not get enabled by UAPP. Maybe this was an issue/ loop-hole on their FuntouchOS 3.1 (Android 7.1.2) on which Xplay 6 runs. Down the line they rectified it in FuntouchOS 10 (Android 10) on which NEX runs.

The thing that bugs me a lot is you are playing a regular PCM file while the DSD logo shows up. :scream:

After all HiFi logo is for PCM files while DSD logo in Vivo's is reserved for native DSD64 file playback.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #3,576 of 5,166

Well UAPP website correctly states their music player will work on Vivo Xplay 6. It also states while playback UAPP will use the low-res chipset DAC and NOT the inbuilt HiRes DAC.

Smartphones like Vivo Xplay6 or Vivo NEX S comes with two inbuilt DACs. When the HiFi or DSD mode gets enabled during music playback, the HiRes DAC is used with an audio path bypassing the Android audio driver for best sound quality. While HiFi or DSD mode is off, the lower quality chipset DAC (Qualcomm audio codec) chip gets used which is bound to use the default Android audio driver due to multitude of functions it had to perform other than just audio playback.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #3,577 of 5,166
Im russian. So i can help, give me a point with which exactly i can help.

I want to write accually another thing about vivo too: im not sure that any of the android device espesialy with the last androids, allow output more than 48khz.

I try to play hi res radio mother earth on foobar2000 on himedia q10pro to denon avrh2500h over hdmi and it shows me 16/48khz, even if render 24/96

And what i see in lg's - since the new android coming, it cutoff all hifi properties of dacs

For example i ask davy info@audio-evolution.com from uapp about is still DoP DSD and MQA is supporting in lg g7,g8 and so on, she says - she cant garantee it with the latest android 10

It seems android itself cut hi res option deeper and deeper.

So my opinion is - android and hi res is incompartible the far we go, the more it is.

I want to buy vivo xplay6, but cant. I know about it that it lag too much with android8 update. And if you have it, you cant go down unless go inside and short circuit some details, which sounds weird for me...

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #3,579 of 5,166
I ended up ordering an Open Box LG G8x,due Monday...Reading up on the phone & this thread do I understand that the recommended UAPP is mostly for USB Audio out to an external DAC?With no intention of using an outboard DAC & intending Bluetooth Aptx HD to be my primary interface how is the onboard LG Media Players SQ?Since it is already set up to play FLAC & WMA files I want to optimize it's capability so any tips would be appreciated..

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #3,580 of 5,166
I ended up ordering an Open Box LG G8x,due Monday...Reading up on the phone & this thread do I understand that the recommended UAPP is mostly for USB Audio out to an external DAC?With no intention of using an outboard DAC & intending Bluetooth Aptx HD to be my primary interface how is the onboard LG Media Players SQ?Since it is already set up to play FLAC & WMA files I want to optimize it's capability so any tips would be appreciated..
Use Poweramp.

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #3,581 of 5,166
What you think about vivo x50 pro + with cs43131 onboard vs vivo xplay5s?

Is it worth for a change in a matter of sound?

The Vivo X50 Pro+ with in-built Cirrus Logic CS43131 hi-res audio chip will surely be stellar when it comes to audio quality. However the phone lacks audio jack, so no point in buying this phone unless you are a dongle lover.

The Vivo Xplay 5s uses their HiFi 3.0 architecture, with a pair of ESS dacs one per channel is differential mode. I do not own the Xplay 5s, but from reviews I read it is said to have the typical ESS sound signature. Some words like natural sounding, detailed, crystal clear & pristine comes to mind. Xplay 5s is the natural successor of Vivo X5Max which I own.

X5Max was the first phone from Vivo to lay down their HiFi 2.0 audio hardware topology later used by Xplay 6 & NEX S. Back in 2014, ESS built the custom made ESS ES9018K2M SABRE (DAC) & ESS SABRE9601K (headphone amplifier) just to be used for X5Max due to exclusive partnership with Vivo. However Vivo had other plans, as to improve the sound quality even further they used a special switch in SABRE9601K which turned it into a current to voltage converter. With the ES9018K2M outputting raw analog current the SABRE9601K converted it to voltage which was then fed to a Texas Instruments OPA1612 for voltage amplification thus acting as a headphone amplifier. Back in 2014 X5Max was measured with 120dB SNR, 118dB dynamic range and distortion less than -100dB in a smartphone!!! The ESS ES9018K2M SABRE (DAC) & ESS SABRE9601K combination was later used is many USB DACs like Dragonfly Red, TempoTec Sonata iDSD to name a few. I love my X5Max.

However the Vivo Xplay 6 in my eyes is overall the better phone when compared with Xplay 5s. Sound quality takes a slight dip in terms of detail resolution but it compensates that for native DSD playback, better display, better SoC, better battery backup.... better everything. The audio hardware topology of Xplay 6 is copied from Lenevo Vibe X3 and then improved upon. Vibe X3 had ES9018C2M + (3 X OPA1612) where as Xplay 6 have ES9038Q2M + (3 X OPA1622). As such the sound signature of Xplay6 is just like Vibe X3 which I own. A more warm sounding than X5Max, having a more textured sound with touch less detail compared to X5Max. I love my Vibe X3.

I also own the Vivo NEX (Vivo NEX S in China) which comes with in-built Cirrus Logic CS43199 hi-res audio chip, so I can only guess how the Vivo X50 Pro+ sounds. Wide sound-stage, lively textured sound, awesome vocals and slightly less detailed than X5Max. Overall I enjoy both my X5Max & NEX as both have its pros & cons. So I believe the same applies for Xplay 5s & X50 Pro+.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #3,582 of 5,166

UAPP have two audio drivers:

a) Internal HiRes Audio Driver: Connects to G8X HiRes audio chip (LG's Quad DAC) bypassing the default Android audio driver for best sound quality. Supports native DSD playback.
b) USB Audio Driver: Connects to USB DACs connected to G8X bypassing the default Android audio driver for best sound quality.

UAPP & LG's go hand in hand. It like a marriage made in heaven. However the default LG music player will give UAPP a run for its money in terms of sonic performance. I generally use the UAPP as it gives me a consistent feel among my multiple devices. I have a pair of LG V30+ and UAPP runs just fine.

V30+, V40 & V50S/G8X uses the same ESS ES9218P SABRE HiRes audio chip. All B&O tuned LG's like V30, V30+ have a headphone jack output impedance of 1.1 ohms (lower is better) whereas Meridian tuned LG's like V40, G8X have a higher value of 1.6 ohms. In comparison Samsung Galaxy S10 output impedance is 2.1 ohms.

Point to note: If you are a DSD lover, don't update to Android 10. Native DSD playback is killed by LG on Android 10. And DSD file will then be software decoded to PCM. If you hear only PCM audio files (FLAC, WMA, MP3), then no issues with the upgrade.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #3,583 of 5,166
I just got the LG G7 to replace my dying - dead - BlackBerry. It's pretty nice, indeed, though I find the output is actually lower than my BlackBerry despite the quality being much better. I know there's various tricks one can do with cables to shift it into higher output, but I'd rather avoid having to bring cables around.

Question: do any of the QuadDac LG models have notably higher output? I'm looking at LG G8X as a possible alternative to the G7 if it can output more power.

Jul 17, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #3,584 of 5,166
I just got the LG G7 to replace my dying - dead - BlackBerry. It's pretty nice, indeed, though I find the output is actually lower than my BlackBerry despite the quality being much better. I know there's various tricks one can do with cables to shift it into higher output, but I'd rather avoid having to bring cables around.

Question: do any of the QuadDac LG models have notably higher output? I'm looking at LG G8X as a possible alternative to the G7 if it can output more power.

Let me speak in respect to the LG's QuadDAC, 2nd Gen. Here the QuadDAC marketing name denotes the ESS ES9218P SABRE audio chip which gets enabled when we enable the HiFi mode. ES9218P is a single chip containing both the DAC and headphone amplifier.

Some LG flagships sporting the ES9218P are LG G6, V30, G7, V40, G8, V50, V50S & G8X. The ES9218P is calibrated by LG to provide output power in accordance to the impedance of the headphone. The relation between headphone impedance to audio jack output voltage (HiFi mode) is mentioned below:

1 ~ 49 ohms = 0.4 Vrms
50 ~ 600 ohms = 2 Vrms
601 ohms and above = Line out = 1 Vrms

No matter which LG phone mentioned above you use, the output is the same, give or take 0.05 Vrms. A very minimal trick I perform when using low impedance headphones with my LG V30+ is to use a very short, high quality 3.5 mm audio jack male female extension cable.

Steps:
1) Connect the cable to the phone audio jack.
2) Enable HiFi mode
3) Play any music with LG default music player for 1 sec.
4) As no headphones are attached to the cable, V30 correctly detects Line-out mode and goes to industry standard 1 Vrms output mode.
5) Now attach the low impedance headphone (1 ~ 49 ohms) and play music with any player.
6) Rather than just pre-calibrated 0.4 Vrms, now we have 1 Vrms at disposal capable to reach ear deafening volumes.

Or you can used headphone between 50 ~250 ohms impedance with the phone without the need of any extension cable, you will the maximum of 2 Vrms by default.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #3,585 of 5,166
Let me speak in respect to the LG's QuadDAC, 2nd Gen. Here the QuadDAC marketing name denotes the ESS ES9218P SABRE audio chip which gets enabled when we enable the HiFi mode. ES9218P is a single chip containing both the DAC and headphone amplifier.

Some LG flagships sporting the ES9218P are LG G6, V30, V40, G8, V50 & G8X. The ES9218P is calibrated by LG to provide output power in accordance to the impedance of the headphone. The relation between headphone Impedance to audio jack output voltage (HiFi mode) is mentioned below:

1 ~ 49 ohms = 0.4 Vrms
50 ~ 600 ohms = 2 Vrms
601 ohms and above = Line out = 1 Vrms

No matter which LG phone mentioned above you use, the output is the same, give or take 0.05 Vrms. A very minimal trick I perform when using low impedance headphones with my LG V30+ is to use a very short, high quality 3.5 mm audio jack male female extension cable.

Steps:
1) Connect the cable to the phone audio jack.
2) Enable HiFi mode
3) Play any music with LG default music player for 1 sec.
4) As no headphones are attached to the cable, V30 correctly detects Line-out mode and goes to industry standard 1 Vrms output mode.
5) Now attach the low impedance headphone (1 ~ 49 ohms) and play music with any player.
6) Rather than just pre-calibrated 0.4 Vrms, now we have 1 Vrms at disposal capable to reach ear deafening volumes.

Hope it helps.
Thank you this is helpful and also applicable to the G7 because it sports the same DAC chip.

I tried your workaround and it indeed does the job, thanks. I also found that one can perform a similar "trick" by simply inserting a detachable cable into the phone, such that the phone registers the cable as an AUX device. Connecting the headphones to the cable keeps the power in AUX mode, which I guess is equivalent to line-out. There's definitely enough gain doing it this way, at least for lower powered phones. It's not the most elegant way to force the phone into high power, but it works. I did try my 600ohm Beyers out of interest, but it's not really listenable without an external amp. The quality, however, is very nice.

Edit - I'm impressed the G7 can play DSD128 straight from the native app. And smoothly, too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back