Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jul 4, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #3,556 of 5,166
Focal Listen Pro is nearly twice expensive than audiotechnika msr7b, but have only 5-22000, while other have 5-50000
Why?
Is sensibility matters ?

101 / 122 db?

And my ATH ES10 cost 4 times expensive than MSR7!
Because it doesn't matter to our hearing. :wink:
What to you prefer?
A headphone which does well within/ slightly above your hearing range, or a headphone which goes way beyond with a , for me, weird tuning?
Even a headphone could be a nice one for your musical taste that reach just 18kHz.
But it's long ago that i've seen a headphone with a freg range top end below 20kHz. :wink:

You can properly buy a headphone below the $200 mark which sounds better to you, than one that is 4 times the price.

It's like the Pioneer CH9T, which i do own.
Of course, it's all a matter of taste.

Jul 4, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #3,557 of 5,166
Focal Listen Pro is nearly twice expensive than audiotechnika msr7b, but have only 5-22000, while other have 5-50000
Why?
Is sensibility matters ?

101 / 122 db?

Cost doesn't mean everything ...

Listen Pro is in a class on his own.
While 99 % of headphone are based on the Harman Curve (" frequency response that give the headphone the same sound you’d hear when listening to a good set of stereo speakers in an acoustically treated room " [1]) , the Listen Pro is like an anechoic chamber , with absolute transparency.

Take time to do some research, what do you like with your ATH ES10 and go further ...
If you can bring your Xplay 5S to a store where you can test differents headphones , i'm sure you'll find what is best for you.

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #3,558 of 5,166
Hey there,hoping for some educatin on setting up a new phone..Just ordered an unlocked LG "G8"..I don't need/want or use many apps,is there a way to completely remove these from the phones memory?I also don't take many pics or watch video..REALLY want the absolute best audio quality out of Bluetooth 5.0..Are there specific settings somewhere in phone to get best quality out?How about reading all my FLAC/WMP Lossless files stored on Mini SD,what do I need to do to play these on the phone & over BT5.0?
REALLY REALLY appreciate some help here folks..Thanks much,take care..

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #3,559 of 5,166
Hey there,hoping for some educatin on setting up a new phone..Just ordered an unlocked LG "G8"..I don't need/want or use many apps,is there a way to completely remove these from the phones memory?I also don't take many pics or watch video..REALLY want the absolute best audio quality out of Bluetooth 5.0..Are there specific settings somewhere in phone to get best quality out?How about reading all my FLAC/WMP Lossless files stored on Mini SD,what do I need to do to play these on the phone & over BT5.0?

Tactically Do nothing. Download UAPP. Sign in Tidal subscription. Airplane mode, using wifi.

Buy CD, have an accurateRip.

Hifiman DEVA or XM-1000m3

Enjoy.

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #3,560 of 5,166
Why?
Is sensibility matters ?

101 / 122 db?

Frequency range doesnt matter.

How you ear perception is what matters.

Just ensure not buying high ohm (100+ ohm) and low sensitivity (< 100 dB) to use with smartphone.

Ibasso SR1 is good start for first upgarde journey. Then hifiman arya or HE X.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #3,561 of 5,166
Tactically Do nothing. Download UAPP. Sign in Tidal subscription. Airplane mode, using wifi.

Buy CD, have an accurateRip.

Hifiman DEVA or XM-1000m3

Enjoy.
Ughh ok,I use Pandora+ & do not want to use any external devices,just stream my 24/192 FLAC files(copied from Foobar 2017) on Mini SD card & Pandora+ via Bluetooth 5.0 to my new Burson Conductor 3P or Iso Tunes "Free" ear buds at work...

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #3,562 of 5,166
Ughh ok,I use Pandora+ & do not want to use any external devices,just stream my 24/192 FLAC files(copied from Foobar 2017) on Mini SD card & Pandora+ via Bluetooth 5.0 to my new Burson Conductor 3P or Iso Tunes "Free" ear buds at work...
Don't worry about bluetooth 5.0 or sth.
Beside power usage, there is no benefit to 4 in terms of audio quality.
Don't know nothing about pandora bc their service isn't available at my place.
But i'd use Uapp all the time as my preferred audio player for locally stored files.

Make sure to set the connected bluetooth device to "best quality".
If you have some issues with Ldac, rename your phone to "G8noldac" to force the highest possible Aptx codec while on "best quality" setting. :wink:

You can't remove the preinstalled apps, but you're able to deactivate them.

The devices mentioned above a recommended Bluetooth headphone, not additional devices to increase your chain. :wink:

Hint:
Save some cash to fund the upcoming Drop Panda. :ksc75smile:

Jul 5, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #3,563 of 5,166

Sorry. Using in Android's Chrome so I didn't see your signature.

Jul 5, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #3,564 of 5,166

First , if you use a bluetooth headset , you didn't need a LG or whatever audiophile smartphone to do that , but any smartphone with Android 8+ (so you can choose audio codec) :

temp.png

It's the bluetooth device that do the conversion with its internal DAC , not the source itself (like your LG).

To remove pre-installed apps , you can use ADB (Android Debug Bridge)(https://www.xda-developers.com/quickly-install-adb/).
Using command lines , you can remove any photo / video related apps.
It's not user friendly , but you can remove anything , so must be careful.
I used it with all my Android devices to remove craps like Facebook , Instagram ...

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #3,565 of 5,166
Once ADB is set and running , type :

adb devices

adb-devices.png

If you see the serial number of your device , it's ok. Let's go.

adb shell pm list packages

is a command that list all the package of your device.

adb-liste.png

List is huge lol , but ...

adb shell pm list packages > liste.txt

... save this list in a text file (here named "liste.txt" but you can change to whatever you want) in the same directory as adb.exe .

adb-liste.png

(opened liste.txt with NotePad++ and sort package alphabetically ...)

And ...

adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 <package name>

... uninstall the app corresponding to <package name>.

All you need is those 3 commands.
You can CTRL F the list to find for example all Facebook package ... and uninstall them , one by one.
Once in a while , save the list again to see what is left.

I'm going to uninstall some Microsoft crap that came with last update ..
Package name is : " com.microsoft.appmanager ".
So , i enter the command above with this package and voila :

adb-uninstall.png

" Success " = bye bye Microsoft.
App is totally uninstalled , and i won't receive any further update for it.
You can find packages names on ApkMirror , or just google a package and you will see the app corresponding.

If you uninstall an app and you want to get it back , use :

adb shell cmd package install-existing <package name>

It's possible because uninstalling apps using this method doesn't erase the apk file (to completelly erase both APK and App , root is needed).

Jul 10, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #3,566 of 5,166
Just purchased Vivo Xplay6 for around 200 USD (used). Anyone can advise how to configure UAPP? Somehow the app did not detect the DAC and revert to android driver. Instruction on the first page of this thread only cover Neutron player which I cannot get used to.

Or is it not possible to use xplay6 with UAPP with full DAC support?

Thanks

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #3,567 of 5,166
Just purchased Vivo Xplay6 for around 200 USD (used). Anyone can advise how to configure UAPP? Somehow the app did not detect the DAC and revert to android driver. Instruction on the first page of this thread only cover Neutron player which I cannot get used to.

Or is it not possible to use xplay6 with UAPP with full DAC support?

Thanks

USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) is a great music player for almost all types of Android smartphones but not Vivo. I have UAPP on:

1) LG: LG V30+
2) Vivo: Vivo Y27L, Vivo V3Max, Vivo V5Plus, Vivo X5Max & Vivo NEX S
3) Meizu: Meizu 16th
4) Nokia : Nokia 6.1 & Nokia 7 Plus
5) Lenovo: Lenovo Vibe X3
6) Honor: Honor View 10
7) Oppo: Oppo F7

Below are my observations:

1) LG V30+ - Internal HiRes DAC Detected, native DSD playback (DoP) supported @ DSD64 & DSD128
2) Nokia 7 Plus - Internal HiRes DAC Detected, DSD to PCM converted @ 352.8 kHz
3) Nokia 6.1 - Internal HiRes DAC Detected, DSD to PCM converted @ 352.8 kHz
4) Meizu 16th - Internal HiRes DAC Detected, DSD to PCM converted @ 176.4 kHz
5) Lenovo Vibe X3 - Internal HiRes DAC Detected, DSD to PCM converted @ 176.4 kHz
6) Honor View 10 - Not Detected (Uses the chipset DAC through Android audio driver)
---
7) Vivo NEX - Not Detected (HiRes DAC present but UAPP uses chipset DAC through Android audio path)
8) Vivo V5 Plus - Not Detected (HiRes DAC present but UAPP uses chipset DAC through Android audio path)
9) Vivo X5 Max - Not Detected (HiRes DAC present but UAPP uses chipset DAC through Android audio path)
10) Vivo V3 Max - Not Detected (HiRes DAC present but UAPP uses chipset DAC through Android audio path)
11) Vivo Y27L - Not Detected (HiRes DAC present but UAPP uses chipset DAC through Android audio path)

As can be seen above, UAPP does not work on Vivo smartphones. This is not because of UAPP's inability to do so but rather Vivo not granting permission to UAPP in-order to use their HiRes direct audio path bypassing Android audio stack to the HiRes DAC. Back in 2014, when Vivo first set foot out of China and entered their second home in India the first phone they did launch was their flagship Vivo X5Max. The first Google certified Vivo smartphone with GMS built in Vivo X5Max remained and still is one of their most iconic audio centric smartphone I have ever heard. Till today in my ears it will topple many smartphone in terms of sound quality through audio jack and be neck and neck with V30+ & NEX S. The new phones like LG & NEX S simply have more amplification power of 2 Vrms where as X5Max tops out at 1 Vrms. When I got hold of my X5Max in 2014, only few apps had permissions in the software level to use HiRes direct audio path of X5Max as below:

1) Vivo iMusic (Default music player, does not rely on Android's audio stack)
2) Default Video app
3) Google Music Player
4) YouTube

Back then Brent was the super moderator of now defunct global official Vivo forums, and I wrote a big article of how the international users of Vivo smartphones were deprived to use "HiFi" mode on other apps. The write-up some how moved him among thousands of other posts and he later asked me in a private forum message for suggesting all Android apps which I want in "HiFi" mode. I gave a long list and many others contributed in the open forum. He pushed a lot the Vivo's software development team back in China and one fine day below came the answer:

------------------------------
Hi Vivo Fans,

Good news, I am very happy to share with you the following list of apps that are now supported by Vivo's Hi-Fi music mode! Thank you all very much for your patience. If you are still experiencing any difficulties enabling Hi-Fi while using the following apps please send me a private message with the Vivo phone you are using and which app you are having trouble with.

1) Youtube
2) 4Shared Music
3) MX Player
4) Poweramp
5) Google play music
6) n7player
7) tunein radio
8) Neutron
9) Mortplayer music
10) KKBOX
11) Spotify
12) Musixmatch
13) JOOX
14) Shazam
15) Music
16) Gaana
17) Saavn
18) Hungama
19) Raaga
20) Music Player
21) Stafaband
22) Sound Hound
23) Gudang Lagu
24) LINE MUSIC,
25) Music Player (Leopard V7)

Thanks,
Brent
------------------------

Conclusion: Vivo's iMusic default music player is the best music player on any Vivo smartphone. It is designed not to rely on Android's low res audio stack just like UAPP and uses HiRes direct audio path bypassing Android audio stack straight to the inbuilt HiRes DAC.

Hope it helps!!!

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #3,568 of 5,166
If I correctly remember for xplay6. UAPP will activate DSD mode, Not hifi.

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #3,569 of 5,166
I think this info would be of help to vivo xplay6 user so I will share here.
Reference in Russian > https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=785279&st=380#entry59480248

If you want to use an app which is not in HI FI list such as Apple Music, you have to follow this steps.

A way to run the binzin player on our hifi-enabled animal.
1. We take an apple music apk and change the package's name to com.tencent.qqmusic by using any program convenient (for example, apk editor pro)
2. Next, install it by refusing the new version.

PS: I am not sure if UAPP will work this way since it is purchased app. But apple music (if anyone used, it confirmly works)

The same actions can be performed with many players, but not with all.

cn.kuwo.player
cn.kuwo.player: service
android.VideoPlayer
com.android.bbkmusic
com.baidu.video
com.douban.radio
com.duomi.android
com.funshion.video.mobile
com.hunantv.imgo.activity
com .kandian.vodapp
com.kascend.video
com.kugou.android
com.kugou.android.support
com.letv.android.client
com.netease.cloudmusic
com.netease.cloudmusic
com.netease.cloudmusic: play
com.pplive.androidphone
com.qiyi.video
com.sds.android.ttpod
com.sds.android.ttpod.support
com.sds.android.ttpod.main
com.sds.android.ttpod: support
com.sohu.sohuvideo
com.storm.smart
com.tencent.qqlive
com.tencent.qqmusic
com.tencent.qqmusic
com.tencent.qqmusic: QQPlayerService
com.tencent.research.drop
com.ting.mp3.android
com.tudou.android

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #3,570 of 5,166
Actually, they are talking about UAPP something but language barrier. If anyone understand Russian, please help. We may find the solution there.

1594396635113.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back