Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Nov 29, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #2,896 of 5,166
The Topping DX4 DSD has a good reputation and is quite beefy with 290mW at 32 Ohm impedance. Smaller lighter and not so powerful: FiiO Q1 II (only 60 mW at 32). A real monster is the xdDuoo XD-05 (280g!), it can deliver 500mW at 32 Ohm.
Or you go the minimum way: USB-C DAC dongles als the Hidizs Sonata, but this devices will power only low impedance earphones like the typical IEMs

ibasso dc01/02

Nov 29, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #2,897 of 5,166
I can't recommend DC01, I have Audiosense T800 and the
- noisefloor was high
- harsh sounds due to high output impedance
If you care about both, look into E1DA 9038s or Shanling M0
(other recommendations highly appreciated!)

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #2,898 of 5,166
just bought meizu 16th. sound is very good from headphone jack and especially from the speakers.
comparing to my other meizus mx4pro and pro 7 it sounds "different". i think i like it stereo separation, sound is clear, bass is good. nice details in sound. by default hires sound seems to downscale to 16/48(dumpsys media audio flinger command) i ll experiment by tweaking audio policy confand build. prop. usb audio players pro hires driver works if setted to direct but still the output of dumpsys command shows audio is still downscaled to 16/48.
i can only test the phone with chinese firmware because it is rootable global cant be rooted

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #2,900 of 5,166
Afaik dongle's DAC works in tandem with phone's DAC. Yes all Snapdragon 700+ processors have Aqstic. And they do have some competence in terms of performance but sadly the manufacturers rarely prioritise audio performance. So if you're not into modding your phone by rooting then you are very much dependent on device manufacturer's mercy. Highend processors usually have better audio performance so that should not be a point of concern.

P.S. Rooting devices voids your warranty and after sales support. Also, it may damage your device software/hardware if incorrect softwares are flashed.

Thank you for the comments, with this I'll take a look around for SD 855 phones with USB C dongle.
I'll be looking to buy the Meizu HiFi DAC USB C cable to pair with the phone.

Dec 3, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #2,901 of 5,166
I just bought a Huawei Mate 10 as a USB transport for my FLAC files on a big SD Card only to learn afterwards that USB Audio Player Pro is +not+ supported on this (and many other Huawei) devices. Two of my dongle DACs did not work at all but a Musiland MU2 Plus works. At least sometimes. And sometimes with certain tracks with enormous distortion.
Can I do something or should Iook for another SD card phone?

Dec 3, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #2,902 of 5,166
I just bought a Huawei Mate 10 as a USB transport for my FLAC files on a big SD Card only to learn afterwards that USB Audio Player Pro is +not+ supported on this (and many other Huawei) devices. Two of my dongle DACs did not work at all but a Musiland MU2 Plus works. At least sometimes. And sometimes with certain tracks with enormous distortion.
Can I do something or should Iook for another SD card phone?

I have Huawei mate 10 (for nearly 2 years) and use UAPP for tidal/ Google music streaming. Only MQA decoding doesn't work......I have actually just ordered LG V50 for the quad DAC and full UAPP functionality.

Dec 3, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #2,903 of 5,166
Right now the Mate 10 by the way is working again with UAPP and the Musiland M2 with everything up to DSD 256. But as I Iearned the hard way this is shaky grounds with this Huawei device.
At first I wanted to upgrade the phone to a Pocophone F1 only to read a couple of posts that it is not given that a specific F1 phone accepts cards bigger than 256 GB. And I need at least 400 GB, 512 are still better. So right now my second best phone would be an LG G7 that is at least a bit faster than my current older devices. And it could be used even without an external DAC as it has a decent one built in already.

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #2,906 of 5,166
Listened oppo Reno 2 again and still It’s audio is great, like I wanted to dance in the shop.
Anyone tested it?

The Realme X2 Pro sounds pretty good with Dolby Amos off, but I don't know if has the same hardware and did not try it in deep yet. Just some minutes ago, was writing some impressions about LZ A6 and for my surprise, find out that these phones sound (pair) better with X2 Pro than with Radsone ES100 (a little beast). It lacks some of the resolution that ES100 was offering in balanced mode, but overall sound is better for me (again need to try more cables, tips and filters). At the end, I think that I'm going to use it on the go, with some punctual combination with E1DA 9830s but feel pretty satisfied for daily use.
Will try more gear when A6 hype calms down, but NCM Bella will be here soon, and I honestly doubt that I use the smartphone as source for them (but will surely keep an open door for it, just in case).

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #2,907 of 5,166
Alright, would be nice if you have the opportunity try new oppo in comparison, I’d like the have another opinion on these phones audio. Asian phone brands seem to care about enjoyable audio on their devices especially in a warm and dynamic way which I like too.

Anyway I bought lgv50 with dual screen for 700€ today, it’s really expensive to me but I think it might be a good investment. It might arrive in more than a month :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back