Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 24, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #1,726 of 5,166
Hey all. I'm here again to update you that unfortunately I had to cancel my NEX S order after I've gotta hear a friend about software problems after importing and an immense lacking of customer care from the shop I've chosen. Now I'm stuck with an Xperia X Compact and LG HiFi Plus DAC/AMP, which gives slightly warmer and wider (on soundstage) performances than the V20, including a more powerful output power in High Impedance mode - which is more than enough for me.

Sorry for giving you such void hopes, but I really had to rescue that bunch of money immediately (¬_¬) lemme know if you wanna learn something more about that DAC/AMP, since it's primarily made for Smartphones.

Aug 24, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #1,727 of 5,166
Hello, just a heads up, please don't abuse the LCD. I was about to buy this one also since its already on my budget but they told me the real reason behind it. Image retention appears just like same issue with past LG series. Please do search.

Thank you
You can solve Image retention by downloading a blue light filter, setting it to black with 10% to 20% opacity. If your G5/V20/V10 are rooted there's a permanent fix through RGB settings, but for this solution I suggest you to check out more infos on XDA Devs forums.

Aug 24, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #1,728 of 5,166
Hey all. I'm here again to update you that unfortunately I had to cancel my NEX S order after I've gotta hear a friend about software problems after importing and an immense lacking of customer care from the shop I've chosen. Now I'm stuck with an Xperia X Compact and LG HiFi Plus DAC/AMP, which gives slightly warmer and wider (on soundstage) performances than the V20, including a more powerful output power in High Impedance mode - which is more than enough for me.

Sorry for giving you such void hopes, but I really had to rescue that bunch of money immediately (¬_¬) lemme know if you wanna learn something more about that DAC/AMP, since it's primarily made for Smartphones.

Dont worry mate.

Aug 25, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #1,730 of 5,166
I wanted a phone with MQA support and looks like essential phone is the best option, to use with an external DAC. Anyone feedback on this?

Only lg v30 and onkyo granbeat.

Aug 25, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #1,731 of 5,166
Meizu is back with Meizu 16th. The phone have 3.5 jack but no DAC info this time. I wish someone could review it and let everyone know. In worse case that it have no dedicated DAC, check if it support LDAC as well so I can get the Mobius and make it a combo.

Aug 25, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #1,732 of 5,166
Only lg v30 and onkyo granbeat.

From the MQA site it shows essential phone. The essential phone has been dropping price, its currently available at $310 on amazon, I missed the AUG 20th sale when it was $225, for this price I wouldn't mind trying it, Its a risk, I am still in double minds, just to get a proper DAP or use a phone like this and use my Helix DSP HEC and DAC. The Helix MK2 DSP uses high-class two premium D/A converters: AK4456 and one A/D converter: AK5558 of the latest generation with a native resolution of 32-bit instead of the common 24-bit. How good are these?

Aug 25, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #1,733 of 5,166
From the MQA site it shows essential phone. The essential phone has been dropping price, its currently available at $310 on amazon, I missed the AUG 20th sale when it was $225, for this price I wouldn't mind trying it, Its a risk, I am still in double minds, just to get a proper DAP or use a phone like this and use my Helix DSP HEC and DAC. The Helix MK2 DSP uses high-class two premium D/A converters: AK4456 and one A/D converter: AK5558 of the latest generation with a native resolution of 32-bit instead of the common 24-bit. How good are these?

Essential Phone support MQA with its snap-on accessory 3.5mm jack. You should check whether the one you buy comes with it

Aug 26, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #1,734 of 5,166
Ok so I pulled the trigger for the Xplays 6. It took me a week to decide between the Xplay and the Nex S, but the size of the last one was just too much for me.
I'll miss my X900 A LOT, as it served me so well 2 hours per day during 2 years, but I am rather happy to have something less big.
Now two weeks waiting time, but I am so eager to compare these two!

Artpiggo, what amp do you have with your DX200?

Aug 26, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #1,735 of 5,166
Hi, did you compare M0 to at pha55bt yet? They say M0 is very clean. I own at-pha55bt and I find it dark sounding, lacking sparkle, and behind good dacs( Chord Mojo) in terms of Microdetail and clarity. Maybe M0 sounds better?

so hard. I tried AK xb10, ATH pha 55bt, and es100

the best bluetooth dac amp I tried till date is audio technica at-pha55bt. (still not tried m0 yet)

But none beats the "detail" in vivo xp6.

BTW, I have knew how to set "Hi-Fi" for neutron music player. which you can swap choosing between DSD mode and Hi-Fi mode very easily. I will PM you tonight :wink:

Just curious, have you tried the Radsone ES100 since it got LDAC support? It's getting a lot of good praise lately, including compared to the Mojo:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/radsone-earstudio.867366/page-154#post-14446425

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #1,736 of 5,166
Just curious, have you tried the Radsone ES100 since it got LDAC support? It's getting a lot of good praise lately, including compared to the Mojo:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/radsone-earstudio.867366/page-154#post-14446425

Yes, The sound of ES100 is warm and full mid. I am not surprised this got a good praise on head-fi. and with 2.5 mm balanced that pleases audiophiles. It has their own app to control sound which is really well-implemented. Overall SQ is same level as m0 and pha55bt but you need to ensure tonality is matching with your iem (dark/neutral/bright). But if ask me, I would choose m0 since it also has DAP function.

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #1,737 of 5,166
Ok so I pulled the trigger for the Xplays 6. It took me a week to decide between the Xplay and the Nex S, but the size of the last one was just too much for me.
I'll miss my X900 A LOT, as it served me so well 2 hours per day during 2 years, but I am rather happy to have something less big.
Now two weeks waiting time, but I am so eager to compare these two!

Artpiggo, what amp do you have with your DX200?

AMP4 which got upgraded capacitor by Whitigir.

Aug 28, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #1,738 of 5,166
Anyone using a Note 9 for audio? Trying to get some audio impressions. All the Note 9 reviewers have no concept of good quality audio. My Note 9 is coming end of the week.

Aug 28, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #1,740 of 5,166
Which small smartphone currently produces the best sound? I need a smartphone that is smaller than Samsung S7 (142 mm height), supports two sims, has headphone out, runs Android.

Does xplay6 count? It is at size of s7 edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back