Best slim portable for IEMs?
May 29, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #17 of 28

Quote:
Fiio E11 is the obvious choice right now.  

I think blasto_brandino might beg to differ :

I got my Fiio E11, I'm not afraid to say it, that is one cheap POS, it looks cheap, it feels cheap, I should have gone for an E7, the aluminum and plexiglass would have probably had a better feel to it. Dunno about sound quality though, I'm thinking of doing another full on comparison this time between the E11 and the PA2V2, we'll see.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536982/leckerton-audio-slimline-uha-4/435

Just one person's opinion, but counter to the massive hype around the E11 atm. I think he needs to give it more time, esp. since early impressions of the uHA-4 were equally unflattering.

May 30, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #18 of 28
It is cheap, thick too, nearly twice as thick as an arrow, there are MANY other offerings out there that are superior, the Leckerton or the TTVJ slim (which share a similar case, the TTVJ is simply longer) are good, the arrow works good, but I have yet to hear the 4g. 
(Blasto_Brandino, is about to be encased in ice, for that is what happens to neanderthal dinosaurs who think like that, that and this crazy girl pushed him off the edge), I'm still hammering out some account issues before this account takes over

May 30, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #19 of 28
A little early to be reinventing oneself isnt it, Blasto ? I expect that contradicting your earlier statements will confuse the hell out of many - keep up the good work. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 30, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #20 of 28
I meant the E11 *Felt* cheap, The E7 I'm told feels good, I dunno about the E11's SQ, I haven't listened to it yet, if I do a comparison to the PA2V2 I'll have to sell my PA2V2 and buy a new one so that both amps are new.. I think I'd rather compare the Zen Head to the L3 when it arrives...

May 30, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #21 of 28
Whoa - you gave the amp a serve without even *hearing* it ?  Methinks that is somewhat cruel and unusual punishment for Fiio, particularly after you gave the uHA-4 a glowing recommendation for the way its SQ is so much better than its external appearance. Given a choice between the form-over-function and function-over-form, I'll take 'ugly but interesting'  9 times out of 10.

Still waiting for both my amps - the tracking on the Leckerton tells me it cleared Customs on Sunday night, so they must have put it on a donkey for the remainder of the journey to my place.

May 30, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #22 of 28
I scolded the UHA-4 for it's "prison like" appearance but it didn't feel cheap, it just looked rough the Fiio is two thin tin shells around a silver plastic frame, one good drop it is not gonna look so pretty.

May 30, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #23 of 28

Quote:
Anyone heard Arrow 4G? Has it got better SQ than 3G?

Yes, the treble boost actually brings up the clarity and transparency of the Arrow.  What the actual treble boost level will be on the final board is unknown though.  I do like the sample board so far.  

The Arrow, Leckerton, TTVJ and Pico Slim are the ones to look at here IMO.  Haven't heard the mk2 but the ALO RX mk 1 didn't really impress me for the price over the Arrow or Leckerton.  I also found it to have more emphasis in sweetening the treble and bass over the mids.  The mids aren't recessed but the treble and bass just give you more of a sense of richness which for me detracts from the overall balance.  Some might prefer it.  Mind you, I'm not referring to FR neutrality necessarily, just sort of a timbre sweetness and slight forwardness on the extremes. 

May 31, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #24 of 28
Thanks!
What I want is, an amp which has neutral and transparent signature with good extension, clarity, accuracy and speed! So far from what I have read there is no such amp in this category like that. Perhaps PICO Slim.
I like what I read about RX MK2 for its sound stage and slightly better treble and bass. All the other amps seems to be midcentric ones and they may not pair with my Westone 4.
I love what I hear about uHA-120. Though it is not slim portable, I am going to buy it for sure. It is being rated as LISA 111 killer! Pretty impressive! Unfortunatley HIFIHEADPHONES do not have them ex-stock.

May 31, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #25 of 28

Quote:
A little early to be reinventing oneself isnt it, Blasto ? I expect that contradicting your earlier statements will confuse the hell out of many - keep up the good work. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Reinvent? Look at my register date, then look at Blasto_Brandino's, now tell me, who came first?

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #27 of 28
I have ordered uHA-120 for the good impressions it creates with people who got it. Going to sample it merely to see the SQ though the form factor is not the what I was looking for. Perhaps it may replace my Xin reference and I would go for either PICO slim, TTVJ, Leckerton or ALO RX for portable usage.

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #28 of 28
Nice! Let me know how do you like it. I'm planing to get one as well but still waiting for further impression.

Quote:
I have ordered uHA-120 for the good impressions it creates with people who got it. Going to sample it merely to see the SQ though the form factor is not the what I was looking for. Perhaps it may replace my Xin reference and I would go for either PICO slim, TTVJ, Leckerton or ALO RX for portable usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back