Best Rootbeer
Jan 23, 2003 at 8:34 PM Post #61 of 114
I got some Henry Weinhard's yesterday. It had a nice caramel flavor to it, I think it's the honey and vanilla that did the trick. I thought it was a bit too sweet though.

Jan 23, 2003 at 8:38 PM Post #62 of 114
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I got some Henry Weinhard's yesterday. It had a nice caramel flavor to it, I think it's the honey and vanilla that did the trick. I thought it was a bit too sweet though.

Yeah, this is what I meant by it not being a traditional root beer. My favorite traditional root beer is Americana so give that one a shot and let me know what you think.

Jan 23, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #63 of 114
I just recently tried Americana and LOVED it.
Henry Weinhard's is also great--just a bit different as you say. I really liked the creamy head. I DIDN'T much care for Virgil's--a little too bitter for my tastes.

So far, my top three favorites are:
1. Americana
2. Boylan's
3. Henry Weinhard

They're all very good, and on a given day, my rankings might change
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #64 of 114
I got a few different brands from the Pop Shop. So far
Sprecher's
Virgils
Rat person
Stewarts

Still have to try the Henry Weinhart.

My homemade batch has about 10 more days in the fridge before it's ready. The only problem with these high-end rootbeers is I can't get them locally.

I didn't care for the Boylan's I tried at Starbucks.

Jan 24, 2003 at 12:57 AM Post #65 of 114
Seeing as the bottle says the brewery is in WA, I figured I could find some locally (Oak Harbor or Bellingham), but no where to be found, their beer I could get at the friggin' Navy Exchange, but no root beer.

Where can I get Americana at?

You all must try Hank's! It's my favorite.

Jan 24, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #67 of 114
OK. Just tried some Henry Weinhard's. This stuff is great. Nice and creamy with a good head. Not too carbonated. I'm learning that less carbonization is better. Now my top three are:

Henry Weinhard
Virgils
Sprecher

None of which are available locally.

Jan 24, 2003 at 6:23 AM Post #68 of 114
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Seeing as the bottle says the brewery is in WA, I figured I could find some locally (Oak Harbor or Bellingham), but no where to be found, their beer I could get at the friggin' Navy Exchange, but no root beer.

Where can I get Americana at?

You all must try Hank's! It's my favorite.

You must be reading my mind.......I sent your package yesterday.You will be enjoying six brews in a few days.Let me know what you think of mine.It is the one without a label with the plain cap.

Jan 25, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #70 of 114
I went to the exchange off base (you civilians might know it as a PX), and what do ya know, they got Henry Weinhards. So I go back to the exchange on base thinking maybe they just didn't have any in stock the last time I checked. Well, they got some. They also had Thomas Kemper, so I picked up some, it'll being chilled right now.

Cool Fred, I'll have to do a Weinhard vs Hank vs your brew vs the other ones you sent.

Jan 31, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #71 of 114
While I haven't tried some of the more "exotic" root beers, I think I'm hooked on A&W...

I've tried whatever is at my local QFC, Weinhard's, Hires, Barqs, Kemper, Stewarts, and two others... and I think A&W beats them all..

Jan 31, 2003 at 3:00 AM Post #72 of 114
An update on my trial of Virgil's. . .my first bottle wasn't too good. I tried a second bottle from a different source and thought it was GREAT.

I think it is now one of my favorites.

Feb 7, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #73 of 114
I just found out that Safeway carries Henry Weinhards around here, so I bought a 6 pack to see what the fuss was about...

I really like it! As has been said, it's not your typical root beer, but it's very good - velvety smooth with a great head. I think I might have to make this a regular purchase.
biggrin.gif

They also carry Weinhards Cream soda and orange soda. I'll give those a shot as well (always been a fan of cream soda).

Feb 7, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #75 of 114
Locally, I've only seen 3 rootbeers. IBC, A&M, and Stewart's. Out of all 3, I prefer the stewarts. Orange Cream= incredible!

Oh and rootbeer floats. . .
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back