Best Recording Quality You've Ever Heard?
Dec 25, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #61 of 81
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, I've found many new artists that I will, hopefully, like.
And here's my contribution. If you're into acoustic guitar, or blues, or country - you'll most probably like it. if not - well, you might want to get into after listening to this album :)

P. S. +1 for Alison Krauss - Forget About It, and it reminded of this:

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #64 of 81
This thread deserves a bump!  

I finally got my hands on copies of the Nat King Cole and Leo Kotke albums nominated by LFF and Uncle Erik on page 1.  These are fantastic recordings, and I am enjoying them immensely.  Thank you both for the superb recommendations!

I also recently landed a copy of the k2hd remaster of Jazz at the Pawnshop which is also definitely worthy of an honorable mention in this thread:

I'm strongly considering picking up another couple of k2hd recordings in the near future.  Has anyone heard their versions of "We Get Requests" (Oscar Peterson Trio) or "Cantate Domino"?

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #67 of 81
I personally love the sound of 'Appetite for Destruction' by Guns N' Roses, The guitar tones are easily one of the greatest ever captured on recording. In my humble opinion at least. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #70 of 81
Oddly enough, one of the best recordings I've heard I, erm, "acquired" online through undisclosed methods. It's a suite of Beethoven's symphonies. I don't know who performed or conducted it, I only know they were recorded between 1987 and 1989. It has probably the best imaging I've ever heard. Every instrument is laid out in a real semicircle in front of me, not just a line like it is with a lot of recordings on headphones. There's depth I've never heard in anything short of binaural recordings. For all I know it is binaural. It's really fantastic, though. I can pick out individual singers in the choirs and place them on the wall behind my desk without any issue.

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #71 of 81

Quote:
Oddly enough, one of the best recordings I've heard I, erm, "acquired" online through undisclosed methods. It's a suite of Beethoven's symphonies. I don't know who performed or conducted it, I only know they were recorded between 1987 and 1989. It has probably the best imaging I've ever heard. Every instrument is laid out in a real semicircle in front of me, not just a line like it is with a lot of recordings on headphones. There's depth I've never heard in anything short of binaural recordings. For all I know it is binaural. It's really fantastic, though. I can pick out individual singers in the choirs and place them on the wall behind my desk without any issue.

Perhaps you could try using 'SoundHound' or 'Shazam' to identify it accurately?

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #73 of 81
I have quite a few favorites, a lot of them already mentioned ( Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert, prefer the HD Tracks version, Jazz at the Pawnshop, also enjoy the HD Tracks version..... etc...).

I think this is a fantastic recording "World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings"
A really nice new release is Gotye "Making Mirrors" the 24 bit web release

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker MFSL SACD

Babatunde Olatunji "Circle Of Drums" Hd Tracks version is amazing!!

Obviously most of the Chesky-HDtracks stuff is very well done. There are a lot of good old Jazz recordings that I really enjoy, but probably not worth the mention as far as TOP notch recording goes, but well done nonetheless. Same goes for some of the bluegrass, and acoustic guitar stuff.

Anyway fantastic thread, and am really enjoying the Ottmar Liebert "Up Close" album, can't believe I had not heard it before.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #74 of 81

Quote:
Oddly enough, one of the best recordings I've heard I, erm, "acquired" online through undisclosed methods. It's a suite of Beethoven's symphonies. I don't know who performed or conducted it,

It might be Blomstedt. That is a very good set. It's available in the Brilliant Classics complete Beethoven box.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #75 of 81
I have Ryan Adams' 'Heartbreaker', too - albeit only on standard CD. Bet it sounds wonderful on SACD - I often have the track 'Oh My Sweet Carolina' playing on repeat on my J3. If you like that, you may also like Emmylou Harris' album 'Wrecking Ball' (produced by Daniel Lanois):

and Springsteen's 'The ghost of Tom Joad':

...both of which are very decently-recorded albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back