Best Recording Quality You've Ever Heard?
Dec 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #47 of 81
That Parvo Jarvi Stravinsky disk is great. It's the test disk I used to do a directbA/B comparison between SACD and redbook. There isabsolutely no audible difference between the SACD and redbook layers on that disk. It was one of the few disks I found that didn't have different mastering on the different layers.

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #48 of 81
Fairground Attraction's 'The First of a Million Kisses' is very well recorded:

As is Eddie Reader's solo album, 'Mirmama':

I also concur with previous recommendations for Alison Krauss's 'Forget About it'.
Both Eddi and Alison invariably produce very well recorded albums, even though they may not be considered 'audiophile' in the purest sense.

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #51 of 81

Quote:
Duke Ellington's "Blues In Orbit" bar none the greatest I've heard, fantastic arrangements as well.

second that: I love "Blues in Orbit"!  Quite possibly my favourite jazz album. The recording quality is also fantastic but, at least in the (old) CD release I have

there is too much left-right separation when listening with headphones. In one track you hear trumpets way to the right, piano and sax way to the left, and the drums dead center. Than in the next track drums fly all the way to the right, and a trumpet takes its place to the center :)

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #52 of 81
I've grown up listening to this album around Christmastime my whole life, and have to say it is my all time favorite. I'm sure a good many of you are familiar with this album already, but I couldn't resist mentioning it anyway, as it will always have a special place in my heart.

As I type this, this is the first time I am listening to this album with my new rig and I can't shake the chills! This is what it's all about
dt880smile.png

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Mannheim-Steamroller/dp/B0000005MT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323729701&sr=8-1

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #53 of 81
I responded to your post in 'Now Listening' thread and I agree on recording quality. Steamroller in general is just recorded very well. All excellent albums.

Quote:
I've grown up listening to this album around Christmastime my whole life, and have to say it is my all time favorite. I'm sure a good many of you are familiar with this album already, but I couldn't resist mentioning it anyway, as it will always have a special place in my heart.

As I type this, this is the first time I am listening to this album with my new rig and I can't shake the chills! This is what it's all about
dt880smile.png

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Mannheim-Steamroller/dp/B0000005MT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323729701&sr=8-1

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #54 of 81
The Nirvana Nevermind reissue on vinyl sounds pretty good.

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #56 of 81

Wanted to see if anyone else with the album can confirm something. Does anyone notice just the slightest amount of noise in the recording? I really have to focus to hear it but it seems to be there. It's an excellent recording regardless when you take into account the setting and year.

Quote: Wikipedia
The performance was recorded by ECM Records engineer Martin Wieland, Studio Bauer, using a pair of Neumann U-67 vacuum-tube powered condenser microphones and a Telefunken M-5 portable tape machine.

The reason I picked this album is, apart from being an incredible performance itself, the amount of detail the recording was able to capture. There are tons of little sounds here and there that you can pick out upon each listening. If you want a good album to test your equipments ability to resolve details, try it out.

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #57 of 81

Quote:

Wanted to see if anyone else with the album can confirm something. Does anyone notice just the slightest amount of noise in the recording? I really have to focus to hear it but it seems to be there. It's an excellent recording regardless when you take into account the setting and year.

I seem to recall a low and steady background noise similar to, but not loud like that on Cowboy Junkies Trinity Session. I would need to pull it up, to confirm.

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #58 of 81

Quote:
I seem to recall a low and steady background noise similar to, but not loud like that on Cowboy Junkies Trinity Session. I would need to pull it up, to confirm.

Yeah, there's quite a lot of (not unpleasant) background noise on the Trinity Sessions, but I think this may be due more to background environmental noise in the church than caused by the analogue recording equipment itself. The human brain tends to filter such noise out of conscious perception, in somewhere relatively quiet like a church, whereas true silence is exceedingly rare in modern society - in fact it's exceedingly rare even out in the countryside. I'm particularly aware of this because I am a long-term meditator.

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #59 of 81

Quote:
Thanks J0nny for putting me on to something new. I had never heard of Altered before, but the last 8:43 have been mesmerizing, and I've since fallen in love with them 
smile_phones.gif

No problem caitybear2008. Just to clarify, Altered is the album. If you want more similar stuff, the artist is Solar Fields. :D

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #60 of 81
I can't imagine anything less interesting musically than a Mannheim Steamroller Christmas album. Might as well listen to test tones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back