Best Recording Quality You've Ever Heard?
Nov 28, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #16 of 81
I'm going to make another addition. The 2000and... something re-edition of Lightbulb Sun by Porcupine Tree. This is by far the best recorded album I've ever heard. There is literally zero recording noise anywhere. It's like lying in a sea of blackness. The cymbals are so well resolved they sound a bit off putting compared to other material in my collection.

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #17 of 81

Quote:
I'm loving this thread, and I figured it was about time to contribute:

I'll nominate the 1975 recording of Norman Blake, Tut Taylor, Dave Holland, Sam Bush, et al., often referenced as the Hank Deane or HDS Sessions as a worthy contender.  See: http://webpages.charter.net/tutbro/tuthds.html.  Dave Shreve uses this LP to fine tune VTA adjustments (as discussed here: http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/vta_method_e.html ), and I've never heard playback of a string bass sound more real than when I had a chance to listen to track 2 "Sauerkraut and Solar Energy" on his setup.  The downside: it seems damn near impossible to get your hands on a copy of the CD version, but the LP shows up on auction sites with a fair degree of regularity.

If you talking about an extraordinary rear gem of both musicality and production it's almost a cultural duty to extract the CD files into lossless and put it on a place like demonoid.   

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #19 of 81

Quote:
I'm going to make another addition. The 2000and... something re-edition of Lightbulb Sun by Porcupine Tree. This is by far the best recorded album I've ever heard. There is literally zero recording noise anywhere. It's like lying in a sea of blackness. The cymbals are so well resolved they sound a bit off putting compared to other material in my collection.

Need to add this to my collection !!!! Just looked on Amazon, are you refering to the 2008 version with the DVD or the 2000 edition ?

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #20 of 81

Quote:
Need to add this to my collection !!!! Just looked on Amazon, are you refering to the 2008 version with the DVD or the 2000 edition ?

The 2008 edition with the DVD my good sir, it sounds beautiful. A must hear. I ordered it on a whim, having never heard a Porcupine Tree song before. ClieOS mentioned them briefly on his Meier Audio Corda Stepdance review, and I bought it. Needless to say I was quite stunned by the music and the SQ.

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #21 of 81
"Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits", Reprise records that was released in August, 1968. It was the very first LP I ever bought, and it has amazing sound and depth. It's a treat to listen to on my AKG K340 headphones (I now have the CD version.). (Apparentley the first CD of the album that came out in 1987, the one that I have, is better than the current newer CD issues....according to a review in Amazon regarding it's sound quality. the newer CD has some background hiss, but my 1987 CD has absolutely no background hiss.))

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #24 of 81

Quote:
The 2008 edition with the DVD my good sir, it sounds beautiful. A must hear. I ordered it on a whim, having never heard a Porcupine Tree song before. ClieOS mentioned them briefly on his Meier Audio Corda Stepdance review, and I bought it. Needless to say I was quite stunned by the music and the SQ.

Will this play in Foobar2000? Isn't it 6 channel audio? Maybe I'm missing something.

Correction: What I meant was that it wouldn't play over WASAPI or Kernel Streaming via Foobar.

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #26 of 81
Dec 4, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #27 of 81
THE best recording I have is hard to say. It depends on mood, which characteristics on find important and several other factors,but here are a few personal favorites

(Eagles' Greatest Hits, DCC Gold version)

(Porcupine Tree's In Absentia, DVD-A 24bit version)

(Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley)

(SACD version)

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #28 of 81

Quote:
Will this play in Foobar2000? Isn't it 6 channel audio? Maybe I'm missing something.

Correction: What I meant was that it wouldn't play over WASAPI or Kernel Streaming via Foobar.

There is a 24/192 stereo album on the DVD as well. But I just listen to the CD on my CD player. I'm not that much of a believer in "HD Audio"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back