Best Recording Quality You've Ever Heard?
Dec 6, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #31 of 81

Quote:
I''m stealing this recommendation from someone in the LCD-3 thread. I'll edit my post once I figure out who posted it originally.

http://www.ottmarliebert.com/music/album/up-close

You're welcome.
smile.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #33 of 81

Quote:
Don't laugh, this is recorded rather well. Disney can record a very amazing traditional Christmas album if they'd put their mind to it again. Some tracks are full orchestra, some are a-Capella recordings of carolers, some of in the style of big band....a very interesting mix on one album.
71u2r0kh9xL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Season-Song-Traditional-Holiday-Collection/dp/B000001M1L/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1322187861&sr=1-1

Many "newer" Disney albums are recorded masterly aswell.
I just rediscovered the Lion King Soundtrack and urge anyone to try and listen to 'I Just Can't Wait To Be King'.
This CD is from my childhood and the Swedish version have better recorded voices, with the original soundtrack having a slightly sharp sss sound. But the instrumental track and choir is like pure eargasm with the LCD-2.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #35 of 81
There are dozens of electronic (& electronica) albums I have that are magnificent sounding.  I'm sure everything was done digitally (in ProTools or whatever), so there's nothing close to a missed note, tape hiss or compression unless required for the effect desired by the artist.  But that defeats the purpose/challenge of recording in a lot of ways.

I am auditioning the Romulus, a tubed output stage CD/USB DAC from Aesthetix after my current CD player's USB DAC port crapped out on me.  I was just running through my CD rips trying to get a feel for Romulus, and was tremendously impressed with its synergy in my system, when I literally did a spit-take for this album

Most of Gomez's stuff is well recorded but this album actually made me get my girlfriend from another room, sit her down and listen with me.  Talk about a bolt from the blue, or "the one least likely to surprise you" it was this.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #36 of 81
Don't laugh, this is recorded rather well. Disney can record a very amazing traditional Christmas album if they'd put their mind to it again. Some tracks are full orchestra, some are a-Capella recordings of carolers, some of in the style of big band....a very interesting mix on one album.
71u2r0kh9xL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Season-Song-Traditional-Holiday-Collection/dp/B000001M1L/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1322187861&sr=1-1

nothing to laugh at. Disney did record some amazing albums when Walt Disney was still around. Lion King Album is still one of my favorite soundtracks from disney movies.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #37 of 81

Many "newer" Disney albums are recorded masterly aswell.
I just rediscovered the Lion King Soundtrack and urge anyone to try and listen to 'I Just Can't Wait To Be King'.
This CD is from my childhood and the Swedish version have better recorded voices, with the original soundtrack having a slightly sharp sss sound. But the instrumental track and choir is like pure eargasm with the LCD-2.

i see someone noticed as well :D

Lion King album has some of the best dynamics around for a movie soundtrack. some of best of Hans zimmer's work as well i personally think. i love using it as a test album to test clarity,detail and dynamics of a headphone and speakers.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #39 of 81

Frankenstein and this album in general are just fantastic. The drums especially. They just sound absolutely...right. Easily one of the best recordings in my collection I think.

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #40 of 81

Frankenstein and this album in general are just fantastic. The drums especially. They just sound absolutely...right. Easily one of the best recordings in my collection I think.

those chops. i'm totally jealous.

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #41 of 81
Has been mentioned in other threads, but it's the best-sounding CD in my system.

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #42 of 81
"Malcolm Frager Plays Chopin" by the Telarc label. It was one of the first digital recordings, done in August, 1978. I have the first Telarc CD version from 1983, it has been rereleased by Telarc in 2004. Frager plays the 97 key Bosendorfer Imperial Grand Piano. Stunning sound quality, and stunning performance.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #43 of 81
good thread, thanks to the OP for helping me send even more money to amazon and affiliates
smile.gif

Here are some suggestions:

(sound quality seems to be consistently excellent with the LA band)

(great life-like engineering from "Jack Frost")

and, dulcis in fundo, the legendary

it is from 1953, and it is in mono, but listen to it and you would see why its producer (the mythical Walter Legge) thought that stereo was unnecessary to achieve a perfect recording! There is even a DVD-A version with bonus video tracks.

Let me conclude by saying that pretty much anything I have heard from Harmonia Mundi, Naive, mDG, Calliope, alpha, BIS, Chesky, Alia Vox, Linn, is so well recorded that I can completely forget about the recording and enjoy the music...

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #44 of 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Has been mentioned in other threads, but it's the best-sounding CD in my system.

[Alice in Chains MTV Unplugged]

Despite the iconic nature of the Eric Clapton and Nirvana installments of Unplugged, both of which are very good, I've always thought this one was the best.  And you're right to mention it here; that recording hit the nail squarely on the head.

I'm being paralyzed with indecision trying to come up with the best recording I've ever heard.  Every time I think I've settled on one, something else pops into my head.

I can't decided between Radiohead's Kid A, Dave Matthews Band's Crash and A Perfect Circle's Thirteenth Step.

This would be so much easier if I only had to choose a song, because I think Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" is the definitive model for how to correctly record a piece of music.

(And now Beck's Sea Change has entered the fray.)

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #45 of 81
heres some i like but don't claim best recorded but very good non the less.

Buckethead- Electric Tears
cd-cover.jpg

Alison Krauss- Forget About It
album-forget-about-it.jpg

K.D Lang- Hymns 49th parallel
7340317.jpg

Graciela Maria- Many Places
pmc072_cover_480px.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back