Best recorded albums of all time?
Oct 30, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #151 of 464
Oct 31, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #152 of 464
An album and artist I'd completely forgotten about until recently where I heard it on a nice hifi system for the first time:

Grant Lee Buffalo - Mighty Joe Moon

I was completely blown away at how beautifully recorded and produced this album is. Perhaps not the 'Best of all Time' but worthy of being on the list. And apologies if it's already been mentioned.

Nov 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #155 of 464
I'll throw out 5 I haven't seen mentioned:  

Lindsey Stirling

Um, Lindsey Stirling's self-titled CD isn't that well-recorded. Waveforms of track 3 ("Crystallize"), 8 ("Elements"), and 9 ("Shadows") show over-compression. Fortunately it's not totally brick-walled, but it's definitely over-compressed, and hence, not that well-recorded.

Crystallize

Elements

Shadows

Nov 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #156 of 464
I would like to see more from this this thread as I've found a lot of good music here. I'll add one...

George Benson: Guitar Man 24/96 (yummy). 

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #157 of 464
Daboa - From the Gekko
Soundtrack from Sin City
Saudades - Dom um Romao
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
Bluesiana Triangle - Bluesiana Triangle 1/2
Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley
Katie Melua - Piece by Piece
Kaya Project - Walking Through
Mickey Hart, Airto, Flora Purim - Dafos

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #158 of 464
Ok,  I'll toss a couple in here.  

One recording that blew my mind was Ryan Adams - Live in Germany.  I found it in the "official free flac file music sharing thread".  And it's free!  Here are the links:

16 bit: https://archive.org/details/ryanadams2006-10-17.sbd.flac16
24 bit: https://archive.org/details/ryanadams2006-10-17.sbd.flac24

The thread title states "of all time" and with that I feel as though I should be posting old albums from Pink Floyd and Dire Straits, but recently I would have to say there are a lot of new alums out there that have been recorded very well.  Recently (even though I usually avoid this artist) I have been listening to:

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience (Deluxe 2CD Version).  It sounds pretty darn good to me.

Another album that sounds amazing is:

Camo & Krooked - Zeitgeist  The FLAC version is available over at Boomkat. 

Dec 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #159 of 464
Dire Straits, yes.  I don't now anything about music recording other than clipping and distortion, but I can say that every Dire Straits or Mark Knopfler album sounds very good, even if I don't care too much about the particular song, it always seems to be presented in an excellent manner. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #160 of 464
Hiya, 

Many of the albums on this list sound fantastic. 

I want to add just a few dance music lps as they may be a little underrepresented at the moment. 

All on Spotify:

Calyx & Teebee - All or Nothing (2012) Drum & Bass with a great production quality.  

Andrew Bayer - If it Were You We'd Never Leave (2013) This one defies genres but it's certainly as well produced as it is forward thinking 

Eric Prydz - Eric Prydz presents Pryda - (2012) Fantastic collection illustrating the simplicity and depth of sound that synthesised music can produce. 

Marco V - Propaganda pt 2 (2009) Ouch! 

Gary Beck - Bring a Friend (2012) The purist of techno, and his mixes seem to occupy the full soundstage in a fantastic way. 

Solar Fields - Until We Meet the Sky (2011) - Ambient. This guy still adores the old analogue equipment and whilst modern software instruments now sound just as good, there's something about this guy's production quality that's timeless. 

I'd love others to add to this list! 

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #162 of 464
  Recorded live in 1958 at Carnegie Hall in NYC. 55 years ago and still one of the very best live recordings ever, and an outstanding performance.

I really love "Sylvia" (or is it just "Sylvie"). It knocked me off of my feet the first time I heard it. Nice choice!

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #163 of 464
I can't really understand the fuzz about DSOTM having a "great" recording. I find the imaging odd and the sound somehow clogged. It's good, but clearly doesn't have the sweetness and air a great recording should have.

I have to agree. I have the SACD version and althoughI dont at all disagree its a fine recording, its overrated IMO. Defineately not one of my favorite albums from them.

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #164 of 464

I can't really understand the fuzz about DSOTM having a "great" recording. I find the imaging odd and the sound somehow clogged. It's good, but clearly doesn't have the sweetness and air a great recording should have.

I have to agree. I have the SACD version and althoughI dont at all disagree its a fine recording, its overrated IMO. Defineately not one of my favorite albums from them.

It's a great album with a lot of interesting stuff going on, but I have to admit that I agree. I have searched and searched for the definitive mind-blowing version of DSOTM and have been left wanting. Perhaps it will get the same treatment that Kind of Blue recently got some day....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back