Best recorded albums of all time?
Jan 4, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #166 of 464
IMHO Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals - Burn To Shine
& Ben Harper and The Relentless 7 - White Lies for Dark Times

To me, the way each instrument was recorded and the spectacular manipulation of his voice and the rooms space on various songs is, just, so appreciated. FWIW I don't even like his voice that much but I love these two albums.

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #168 of 464
^^ Strike my nomination from above. I just heard Cowboy Junkies: Trinity Revisited. 
eek.gif
 Don't walk, run fast to get this one. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #171 of 464
  ^^ Strike my nomination from above. I just heard Cowboy Junkies: Trinity Revisited. 
eek.gif
 Don't walk, run fast to get this one. 

Interesting to note that the original Trinity Sessions album was recorded at the Toronto's Church of the Holy Trinity in one night using a single microphone.  Margo Timmins was a beauty in her prime.

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #174 of 464
I know that I may seem fickle with so many nominations here, but I've finally settled on the greatest recorded album of all time. I base my decision on overall recording/mastering, musicianship, and ability of the artist to reach that special place that transcends the ordinary and becomes...extraordinary. 

The album for me must be Muddy Water: Folk Singer 24/96. I don't know all the history of this recording. I believe that it was recorded in a few hours with one mic. The recording is sublime. The music is presented with great nuance and refinement for such an antiquated record (original recording 1964).  You will hear some of the best guitar licks and riffs of all time. Previously no one did this better than Clapton, but after carefully comparing Clapton's Unplugged with Muddy's Folk Singer I would have to give the nod to Muddy. His voice exudes the blues. Listen to the quiver of vibrato as he belts out these tunes. Some are ballads and some "foot stompers." The atmosphere of the room where these men made this treasure is captured perfectly. 

If you care anything about the blues, the roots of rock and roll, or just great music then you must treat yourself to this one. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #175 of 464
  I know that I may seem fickle with so many nominations here, but I've finally settled on the greatest recorded album of all time. I base my decision on overall recording/mastering, musicianship, and ability of the artist to reach that special place that transcends the ordinary and becomes...extraordinary. 

The album for me must be Muddy Water: Folk Singer 24/96. I don't know all the history of this recording. I believe that it was recorded in a few hours with one mic. The recording is sublime. The music is presented with great nuance and refinement for such an antiquated record (original recording 1964).  You will hear some of the best guitar licks and riffs of all time. Previously no one did this better than Clapton, but after carefully comparing Clapton's Unplugged with Muddy's Folk Singer I would have to give the nod to Muddy. His voice exudes the blues. Listen to the quiver of vibrato as he belts out these tunes. Some are ballads and some "foot stompers." The atmosphere of the room where these men made this treasure is captured perfectly. 

If you care anything about the blues, the roots of rock and roll, or just great music then you must treat yourself to this one. 

The 1999 remaster is available on Google Play Music All Access.  It sounds fantastic streamed at 320 kbps mp3, and include 5 additional tracks (14 total) that were left out of the original vinyl release and the 3 more than the first CD release in 1993.  If you have the HDtrack version, that appears to be a remaster (in 2013) of the original 1993 CD re-release.  I'd love to hear it.  I enjoy the blues, and I'd suggest Robert Johnson in this genre.  Another outstanding blues guitarist that influenced many of the later, great rock legends.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #176 of 464
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks! Doesn't hurt that it's one of the best albums ever. Although it's kind of an easy win because he mainly used jazz and classical musicians for the sessions, and engineers were far more experienced in 1968 recording jazz and classical than rock.

For rock, Free stands out in that era, any of their six albums. 

I second ELO's Out of the Blue. On my mom's crappy stereo, it was the only album in 1977 that sounded HUGE.

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #177 of 464
  Van Morrison - Astral Weeks! Doesn't hurt that it's one of the best albums ever. Although it's kind of an easy win because he mainly used jazz and classical musicians for the sessions, and engineers were far more experienced in 1968 recording jazz and classical than rock.

For rock, Free stands out in that era, any of their six albums. 

I second ELO's Out of the Blue. On my mom's crappy stereo, it was the only album in 1977 that sounded HUGE.

I'm not gonna argue with you on that one.

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks is one of the best albums ever recorded. He never recorded a better album.

Absolutely essential. One of the best records I've ever heard! 
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #178 of 464
The new remaster of Kind of Blue on HDTracks is bonafide - it sounds noticeably better than previous recordings of this I've heard, including stellar vinyl rips on good equipment. It's worth paying money for - only 18 bucks for 24/96...

Feb 2, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #180 of 464
There was a Louie Armstrong album similar to this nature, it's has lots of textures, and hear all the details of the trumpet and everything.  Any know which recording it was?  I've heard it on a STAX system on a meet, and was blown away.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back