Best Rechargeable 9v for my amp?
Mar 5, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #31 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
used the 9.6v PowerX in my Hornet and Portaphile and loved it. Tons of juice to power anything. Plus takes a standard recharging unit

9.6v? Which is that battery? Is it a lipo or nimh ?
MAH's?
Sounds good too. Yeah the 520 Romanee uses is what im thinking about, but i wanna check out that 9.6 first.

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
9.6v? Which is that battery? Is it a lipo or nimh ?
MAH's?
Sounds good too. Yeah the 520 Romanee uses is what im thinking about, but i wanna check out that 9.6 first.

It's NiMh I believe. It's on the Thomas website. It's white with yellow and black lettering. And small enough to fit the Portaphile. Only drawback to teh 520 is you have to buy another charging unit plus the battery and for that outlay don't know if it's really that worth it unless you need the longer playing time for the amp which is what the 520 gives you

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #33 of 55
DragOn: went back to your original post and I think those LiPo "Professional" batteries were the ones Romanee wound up with. Little pricey but supposedly longer-lasting than the 500 mah version. Also according to Romanee the fit is no problem in the Portaphile

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DragOn: went back to your original post and I think those LiPo "Professional" batteries were the ones Romanee wound up with. Little pricey but supposedly longer-lasting than the 500 mah version. Also according to Romanee the fit is no problem in the Portaphile

Well yeah, i want long life. The whole search is because the Portaphile Maxxed lasts only 3 hours. I just got my Tomahawk today. Its not as balanced as the Portaphile. Im still playing though, but i think it has an artificial peak in the highs on every song that people "think" are details. Brings up siblance alot. Not that this isnt detailed, it definately is.
Its driving 650s with my Zune though.

But yeah 9.6v would be nice, but the longevity is more important. I dont think anyone can hear 8.4v vs 9.6 anyway.
I think alot of people that review things and report what they hear are under a delusion honestly.
Blinded by new toy syndrom, and FOTM syndrom, and ownership syndrom, and who knows what else.

Ill check those out though, because the layout for another charger is $35 , and i already have a charger for NiMH batteries, so your point is true.

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to use 9.6v where 9v been used?

Its fine. Its only 0.6v difference from 9v.

Most amps can vary a few volts each way .

Some 9v battery amps can run 6v to 15v.
My standard Portaphile can be run on a 24v wallwart, but the maxxed Portaphile can only be run up to 15v because of the caps inside.

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #37 of 55
Thanks.

There is some discussion about the battery that Romanee had mention, do you have a link where I can see/buy it pls.

Is this the one? And do I have to buy a differ charger for them than the one I have, which is for 9v Ni-Mh http://www.batteryjunction.com/ipowerus-9v-520.html

Quote:

Its fine. Its only 0.6v difference from 9v.

Most amps can vary a few volts each way .

Some 9v battery amps can run 6v to 15v.
My standard Portaphile can be run on a 24v wallwart, but the maxxed Portaphile can only be run up to 15v because of the caps inside.

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #38 of 55
Do note the liPo 9v batteries are 8.4v max (2 lipo cells) while the 9.6v nimh are much higher voltage, especially fully charged (8 nimh cells). So for amps which work better with more voltage, the liPo may not do as well as the nimh.

There are two 9.6v cells I know of - both available from thomas-distributing
-Maha 9.6v 230mah
-IPowerUS 9.6v 230mah

In my experience the maha ones were better.

Mar 5, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.

There is some discussion about the battery that Romanee had mention, do you have a link where I can see/buy it pls.

Is this the one? And do I have to buy a differ charger for them than the one I have, which is for 9v Ni-Mh iPower PRO Rechargeable 9V Lithium Polymer Battery 520mAh

Yes thats the 520 i was looking at. But tnmike1 is right, it will need that $35 battery charger, so i have to think about it.
I really dont want to spend over $100 on batteries.
Ill check the other ones out too.

Mar 5, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do note the liPo 9v batteries are 8.4v max (2 lipo cells) while the 9.6v nimh are much higher voltage, especially fully charged (8 nimh cells). So for amps which work better with more voltage, the liPo may not do as well as the nimh.

There are two 9.6v cells I know of - both available from thomas-distributing
-Maha 9.6v 230mah
-IPowerUS 9.6v 230mah

In my experience the maha ones were better.

The Maxxed Portaphile needs voltage and current. If you tried to just use a Heavy Duty 9v, which isnt as good as an alkaline, you would get a whistle sound or a whine out of the amp rather than music. Its just not enough to use at all ; but on the standard Portaphile and most other amps, you can get away with Heavy Duty but it just wouldnt last long.
So the Maxxed version really is a hog with the voltage as well as amperage.

Mar 6, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Yes thats the 520 i was looking at. But tnmike1 is right, it will need that $35 battery charger, so i have to think about it.
I really dont want to spend over $100 on batteries.
Ill check the other ones out too.

Some online vendors sell the bundle of 4 ipowerus 500mah lipos + the charger, for $100. I bought mine from b&h for $108. The charger is excellent, I do not have any regrets of buying it. Actually it replaced 2 chargers I bought before.

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #42 of 55
I just Pulled the trigger on some 500mah nimh's and a charger from the for sale forum. The guy had them about 2 months, so im taking a chance on it.
Hopefully itll work out. If not, i got all your suggestions here to get some more.
I just need enough power for a day, and at night i can charge them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #43 of 55
Mar 8, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by abyrvalg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Afaik there are no 500 mah nimh 9 v batteries in existence.

I guess ill see what i get in the mail.
Hmmm...mystery package.....exciting!...lol

Its not a huge layout. I always need batteries, and if its not 500mah or better, i can still use it for my other amps that arent battery slobs...lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back