Best Rechargeable 9v for my amp?
Feb 27, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by abyrvalg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use ipowerus 500 mah batteries with my Sonosax portable dac\amp and like them. Get ipowerus charger too, it is great - 4 independent channels, and very fast charging (approx 1 hour for li-ion). I have bought some 500 mah li-ion batteries off ebay too, but ipowerus seems like better quality (and those cheap ebay chargers are quite often junk).

Some online vendors have bundles, ipowerus charger + 4 batteries (500 mah) for around $100.

Wow, 1 hour charge sounds awesome
eek.gif

I wonder if it lowers some of the life of the battery by charging so fast?

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't speak to the quality of this particular brand, but here's a pair of 600mAh 9 volts and a charger:

Your Online Source For 2 Bay 9 Volt Li-ion Charger + 2 x 9V 600 mAh Li-ion Rechargeable Battery

Hey thanks...thats the most powerful battery yet. The others were 500 and 520, and this ones 600.
I wonder the size though,because it can be tight with some 9v batteries in the Portaphile Maxxed amp.
Ill have to call and ask them.

I also want to check reviews to make sure the battery is reliable.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #19 of 55
FWIW, my Sanyo Eneloops (AA) are rated at 2000mAh but charge to about 2500mAh, so it's entirely possible that some of the other manufacturers are giving a more conservative rating and really the batteries are roughly the same capacity. Still, I thought it was interesting.

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #20 of 55
mAh is just how long it lasts. I'm more interested in voltage and whether it makes a difference to amp performance and SQ. Most of these say 9v but the voltage is only 8.4v. There are 9v batteries with 9.6 volts though - anyone have experience with these?

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #21 of 55
I'm using the Tysonic low discharge 200 mah (in an SR71) and while they may not be the longest lived 9 volt out there, I love the low discharge aspect which saves me a lot of grief.

Also, and I don't know how relevant this is to the Portaphiles, but the low discharge options are reputed to operate at a lower impedance which can effectively make an amp sound better as compared to alkalines, lithiums, and regular NiMH. This was often discussed/reviewed when the SR71A first came out.

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #22 of 55
Portaphile maxxed only lasts 3 hours on a top quality alkaline battery, and i cant keep buying batteries every 3 hours of listening, and id like it to last longer if possible, but i think alkalines last about as long as the best rechargeables anyway, so i think ill just be getting rechargeables so i dont have to spend as much money on batteries.

I can lower the amp quality by changing internal switches and it will last longer, but i have that amp because of its sound, and i like the switches maxxed.

Ill prolly buy 4 of the lithiums on the list here.
Maybe the 520mah lipo's.
Theyre pro batteries that are supposed to take a beating.

9v batteries are getting harder to find. More products are using internal rechargeables and are throw-away trash now. Ipod dies, throw it out. I really hate that.
Even new smoke detectors now use a few AA batteries instead of a 9v.
I used to be able to buy 12 9v batteries for $13.99 at Sam's Club.
Now Sam's doesnt carry 9v batteries at all. And the packs i find at Walmart etc, are 2 batteries for $5.99!!! Im not paying $1.00 an hour to listen to my music. Id rather go ampless.

So thats why im on this rechargeable 9v search now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #23 of 55
two things: first, you could always just use the Portaphile as a stationary amp on the tabletop then you wouldn't have to worry about batteries. To myknowledge, the PowerX battery lasted me about 10 hrs or so with all switches "on"--I believe Cesar once told me to switch the wide bandwidth to "off" and that on the newer Portaphile it didn't make that much difference in sound quality anyway.

Always knew that amp was a battery whore.

By the way: emailed Cesar for a new amp and to date have heard nothing. Hope springs eternal, though

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, my Sanyo Eneloops (AA) are rated at 2000mAh but charge to about 2500mAh, so it's entirely possible that some of the other manufacturers are giving a more conservative rating and really the batteries are roughly the same capacity. Still, I thought it was interesting.

No, you simply put in 2500mah charge, but if you drain it you'll still get around 2000mah out of it. That is from the inefficiencies of charge absorption.

Now if you are really getting 2500mah out of the batteries, you have fakes because Eneloops simply do not get near there at all.

I use 9.6v nimh maha batteries, in fact of my couple of other brands of nimh, they are the only ones that still charge in my mh-c490 charger after having all the cells a few years. As of now, all my other ones get a bad battery detection and won't charge in it.

Be careful with buying 9.6v nimh batteries though, only a few chargers actually support it. Maybe very few.

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #25 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ill prolly buy 4 of the lithiums on the list here.
Maybe the 520mah lipo's.

That's the only way to go imo. You can leave a pair on charge(trickle??)and not worry about wasting any more money running your amp. Much cheaper and less stress in the long run I've discovered.

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the only way to go imo. You can leave a pair on charge(trickle??)and not worry about wasting any more money running your amp. Much cheaper and less stress in the long run I've discovered.

Yup, thats what im thinking. I think those are the ones Romanee and Tnmike1 are using too, and theyre happy with theirs.
And Mike says to shut the wideband switch off and i may get 10 hours, which would be fine then. I just want it to last the day of listening. So if i buy a few batteries, ill be all set
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #28 of 55
Just went on Thomas Distributing website and foundthe Ultralife Lithium battery. It's on sale for about 5.50, gives much more ife than alkaline and is way cheaper than rechargeables. I used them in my Portaphile and work great.

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #29 of 55
Just took the trip down memory lane on the Portaphiles get no Love thread and found Romanee's post about Trew Audio. They offer the iPowerUS 9v 520 mAh LiPo Professional battery--which Romanee loved--for either $22.95 per battery or a deal of 4 batteries and charger for $124.95. Yeah, lotsa bux but they last a hugely long time and he loved them for the Portaphile or any other amp requiring a 9v amp.

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mAh is just how long it lasts. I'm more interested in voltage and whether it makes a difference to amp performance and SQ. Most of these say 9v but the voltage is only 8.4v. There are 9v batteries with 9.6 volts though - anyone have experience with these?

used the 9.6v PowerX in my Hornet and Portaphile and loved it. Tons of juice to power anything. Plus takes a standard recharging unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back