Best Rechargeable 9v for my amp?
Feb 25, 2010 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

Drag0n

Headphoneus Supremus
I didnt know where to put this thread actually, because the battery is for my portable amp, so maybe it should be under "accessories", but then portable amp people may not see it,...so here it is.

I have a Portaphile Maxxed, and people who know this amp are familiar with its 3 hour battery life on an alkaline battery, but i love the amp and i want to use it more often, so i need to find a battery with longer life.
Its getting more difficult to find those deals for large packs of 9v batteries at a cheap price. Most places are 2 batteries for $5.49usd , but i used to be able to find 12 for $13.99.

The only rechargeable 9v i have is from Radioshack, and its only like 150 mah nickle metal hydride. Doesnt last long.

So whats the best battery you found?
I realise there are threads that talk about batteries, but theyre old and maybe new ones have come out.

I found this one.....are there better?
iPower 9V Rechargeable Lithium Polymer Battery 500mAh

Please dont only find one online,assume its a good deal, and send me links.
The reason being is because although the specs and price may look good, sometimes theyre not reliable, so please list batteries you have experiance with and that have long life before having to charge it, and also long life as far as longevity of the product.
I know some people want to help, and i appreciate it really, but youre not helping if the battery hasnt been proven, so please.....only proven batteries.

Thanx

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 55
I use a pair of those rechargeable Lithium 9V batteries that you link to...in my SR-71A with very good reults and sometimes a Micro Amp(crappy battery life). I also have 2 pairs of Tysonic 200 MAH low discharge but they don't compare to the lithium.

I can easily recommend the lithium.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 55
Oh cool, thanks! One vote so far. I wonder how many hours id get with all switches maxed on my amp...hmmm....?

Some people turn off the bandwidth switch to get some more life out of it, but really i want to keep the best sound.

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 55
Cool thanks. I wonder how that would be compared to the other battery, as it is 500 mah? Theres also one at the bottom of the page of the same brand that is a 550 mah lithium.
I also have to get the lithium charger then because i only have a NMH and NC charger.

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 55
I used the PowerX in my Portaphile but you're still going to get about eight hours max with all switches "on". Depending on the vintage of your amp, you may want to contact Cesar because some of those switches may be put in the "off" position to save battery life a little bit; still, you're not going to get great life out of any of them.

A good thread for this amp is "Portaphiles get no love" started a few years ago where Romanee discusses batteries and where to get them. And yes, to use those LiPo batteires you're going to need the special charger for them.

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 55
iPower PRO Rechargeable 9V Lithium Polymer Battery 520mAh

Heres another one, and the special charger is at the bottom of the page.

tnmike1 : I lost that Portaphiles get no Love thread. I searched for it the other day.
Search function isnt so hot really.

xiton: I wonder what would be better really.....2 300mah nmhd, or 1 520mah li ?
I gotta compare price/pros/cons.
I think the batteries and chargers are cheaper, and i can prolly buy a few batteries and carry them along. I gotta think...lol.

I have a Tomahawk on the way to pair with it. I hear its a good pairing, so.

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iPower PRO Rechargeable 9V Lithium Polymer Battery 520mAh

Heres another one, and the special charger is at the bottom of the page.

tnmike1 : I lost that Portaphiles get no Love thread. I searched for it the other day.
Search function isnt so hot really.

xiton: I wonder what would be better really.....2 300mah nmhd, or 1 520mah li ?
I gotta compare price/pros/cons.
I think the batteries and chargers are cheaper, and i can prolly buy a few batteries and carry them along. I gotta think...lol.

I have a Tomahawk on the way to pair with it. I hear its a good pairing, so.

I would go with a backup battery if you won't be able to get to the charger often enough. I have 2 of the lithiums, although my amp is 18 volt. I also have 5 of the Tysonic Ni-MH. I use the iPowerUS lithium/Ni-MH 4-cell charger which charges in 90 minutes I believe.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 55
DragOn--if you can't find the thread, try a search for Portaphile. Plenty of info there. Or look under "Romanee" name and search his threads. He discussed these batteries quite abit.

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #10 of 55
I use ipowerus 500 mah batteries with my Sonosax portable dac\amp and like them. Get ipowerus charger too, it is great - 4 independent channels, and very fast charging (approx 1 hour for li-ion). I have bought some 500 mah li-ion batteries off ebay too, but ipowerus seems like better quality (and those cheap ebay chargers are quite often junk).

Some online vendors have bundles, ipowerus charger + 4 batteries (500 mah) for around $100.

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DragOn--if you can't find the thread, try a search for Portaphile. Plenty of info there. Or look under "Romanee" name and search his threads. He discussed these batteries quite abit.

Its all Romanee's fault i bought the Portaphile!
He was at the meet in Nov. 2008, in the fall in NY, and he had a Hornet and a Maxxed Portaphile, and he asked me to listen to them, and i liked the Portaphile and wanted one.
So i go home, check the forsale forum, bought 2 of them...lol.
I got a maxxed for the sound, and a standard for battery life...lol.

I think its the battery life that killed sales for it, besides availabilty for parts.
It cant be the build or the sound,because they sound great.
I wish he would make one with longer battery life so they would sell here better.
I think hes been selling in Japan alot though.
He has my Standard amp now,replacing a jack.
Hes a cool guy.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 55
DragOn--funny you should mention Peter--Romanee--again. It was his review a few years ago that made me buy mine. Been kickign myself for quite awhile now that I sold it. Never should've done that.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

DragOn--funny you should mention Peter--Romanee--again. It was his review a few years ago that made me buy mine. Been kickign myself for quite awhile now that I sold it. Never should've done that.

Haha, yeah...you actually messaged me back then and offered it to me, but i already had a standard and a maxxed by then...lol.

I wish somehow Cesar can build a maxxed that lasted 20 hours with the same sound, but it really couldnt have that sound with 20 hours battery life.
It needs the amps to punch like that.

Ill prolly run into Romanee at the march 13 meet in Bayside Queens...lol.

Feb 27, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 55
DragOn--didn't know Peter was still active here. Hadn't seen a post in forever.

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #15 of 55
Quote:

DragOn--didn't know Peter was still active here. Hadn't seen a post in forever.

Heres the last date i see in his profile that he posted...

12-09-2009, 06:26 PM

So its been a little while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back