Best price range on DAPs/amps/headphones/IEMs
Dec 29, 2023 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

k273

New Head-Fier
This question has been on my mind for some time; it's a broad question but I hope we can find some easier and helpful answers for people in the search for their endgame.

Is there a best value-for-money/bang-for-buck/Goldilocks-zone price range for:
1) digital audio players
2) digital to audio converters
3) solid state amps
4) tube amps
5) closed-back headphones/IEMs
5) open-back headphones

where there's a big increase in (sound) quality, which beyond those price ranges, only small incremental improvements/diminishing returns occur? If yes, what are the two/three best items within that price range of each respective item?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 13
This will be a highly subjective discussion.

It will come down to your personal preference on sound and how much money you're willing to spend to get it.

Dec 29, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 13
This will be a highly subjective discussion.

It will come down to your personal preference on sound and how much money you're willing to spend to get it.
True.
That's why I asked so that one may hopefully have some sort of a helpful departure point/some objectivity in their quest for those items.
I'm guessing putting some "price range" is easier and better than a price point.

Dec 29, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 13
True.
That's why I asked so that one may hopefully have some sort of a helpful departure point/some objectivity in their quest for those items.
I'm guessing putting some "price range" is easier and better than a price point.

A lot of people seem to end around $1000 (used HD800S, Arya Stealth, LCD-X, HE1000, etc.) I think there are several good headphones and iems under $300-500 US, especially if you're up for buying used.

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for this.
By the way I personally don't mind buying used.
What about DAPs? Any particular comments?

You're welcome--not much DAP experience. I have the HiBy R5 Gen II now. I do have a preference for Android-based DAPs since the OS is so familiar to me.

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 13
Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 13
Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 13
The Apple USB to 3.5mm adapter $9
7hz Salnotes Zero:2 $24
Best value for money, a great baseline everything else after hearing them.
SMSL DL200 $180 for a great amp DAC combo. Hifiman He5xx headphones.
I have all of those and would never sell them.

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 13
You need to spend about $300 to get to my preferred options when it comes to full size headphones or IEMs,, but my favorites are more like $600-700, and those are used prices. Just recently committed to a pair of Empire Ears Legend X, which when they arrive will have the highest MSRP of anything audio related I own save the Martin Logan Requests. Curious to see if I notice much if any difference jumping from ~$800 new to ~$2200 new. One would hope, but I'm afraid my current gear may be working at the limit of my hearing.

DACs seem to top out around the same - $300 gets you something solid most people will be happy with, double that and you'll notice a difference but there will be debate if it's worthwhile, and beyond that it really is about diminishing returns.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #12 of 13
You need to spend about $300 to get to my preferred options when it comes to full size headphones or IEMs,, but my favorites are more like $600-700, and those are used prices. Just recently committed to a pair of Empire Ears Legend X, which when they arrive will have the highest MSRP of anything audio related I own save the Martin Logan Requests. Curious to see if I notice much if any difference jumping from ~$800 new to ~$2200 new. One would hope, but I'm afraid my current gear may be working at the limit of my hearing.

DACs seem to top out around the same - $300 gets you something solid most people will be happy with, double that and you'll notice a difference but there will be debate if it's worthwhile, and beyond that it really is about diminishing returns.
I'm really waiting for your reviews later!
And thanks for the insights.

Jan 3, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for this.
By the way I personally don't mind buying used.
What about DAPs? Any particular comments?
DAPs...used to be 1-2k. I'd say there's been a shift lately or really good DAPs coming in under $1k - Fiio M15S, Shanling M6 Ultra, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back