Best Pre-Amp for Audeze LCD2 Under $3000
Jul 26, 2011 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Buttsack

Head-Fier
I'm looking at buying a pair of Audeze LCD2 headphones and need a good pre-amp to go with them. I don't mind spending up to $3000 for a good pre-amp but I don't want to go silly and I want value for money in the end. I want the pre-amp to be used in my future setup which is why I want a good one. Are any of these pre-amps a good combo for the LCD2's? Lehmann BCL, Zana Deux or Corda Symphony? I don't know what sound I like as these will be my first good set of headphones. I listen to every kind of music imaginable.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 12
When you write "pre-amp" are you also looking for an amp to use with a regular hi-fi system?

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
When you write "pre-amp" are you also looking for an amp to use with a regular hi-fi system?

Not really since my system at the moment is pretty basic. I currently have a Sony STR-DE495 5.1 Channels Receiver with the 5 sony speakers and sub that came with it. The pre-amp I get won't be connected to my current system and will only be used with the headphones for now. I have no room at the moment to upgrade speaker or amp so I figure a good pre-amp to go with the headphones will do for now. Once I have that pair I will then buy a DAC and when I move to a bigger place I'll get a good amp and speakers to match. I don't see any point in buying "okay for now" gear and then replacing it later on. Whatever gear I buy will last me for another 5-10 years hopefully.

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 12
A preamp wont work for the LCD 2 alone.

There are a couple schools of thought in headphone amp design. 

There is the "low-power power amp" school, and the "high-power preamp" school. The line between them is blurry, but since only about 3 people acknowledge that differences exist the debate is pretty quiet. Generally, the low-power power amp camps are able to put more than 3W into some load (not necessarily 8ohms, but often - its not really that hard) and are pretty obviously scaled-down power amps, and the high power preamp camp that generally focuses on lower power "scaled up" preamp circuits.

Now that thats out there, as a proud member of the hopped-up preamp camp, hopped up preamps will not drive LCD-2. At the minimum you need a low-power power amp. Depending how loud you like the beats you may want a real power amp. 

If your integrated amp has switched outputs for a second set of speakers (older home recievers had this, dunno what its really called) hook the LCD-2 up to that and rock out. Otherwise buy a real amp just for them. Its not hard to find a smaller integrated than what most people consider to be a respectable preamp.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 12
So what should I get to power the LCD2's? A pre-amp and power amp combo or just a power amp?

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 12
The LCD2 does not need a power amp to drive it. It is easily driven by the Apex Peak and the combo sounds fantastic. And it is under $3000. The Peak also has pre amp functions in addition to being a great headphone amp.

Todd

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 12
If you're planning to use it as part of your regular system in the future, quite a few headphone amps double as pre-amps.  If you just want a dedicated headphone amp, the vast majority are within your budget.

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 12
+1 on the Apex peak being a great HP amp with a great preamp and an equally good match with the LCD-2.  I'm guessing you're looking for a tube amp. 

there is also a huge thread on amps for the LCD-2.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495631/amp-recommendations-for-audeze-lcd-2/3360#post_7641906

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #9 of 12
What does the Apex Peak sound like with the LCD-2's? Is it more of a tube sound?

I know most amps are within my budget but I have no idea what is good to pair with the LCD-2's. That thread with 230+ pages is a bit over the top. I don't know how any posts over 5 pages can still be useful. You post in the thread and if it's not in the current page your post gets forgotten.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 12
Honestly, it wouldn't make any sense for anyone to give you a blind recco at that price range with you having really no idea what you want.  There are a lot of good amps that some people just don't like and your tastes may not be like any one else's.  I'd just find a really nice used amp from the for sale forums and start learning about it and deciding what you like.  Then it will be easy to sell and you can move to something else.  No one stays with their original amp anyway.  Besides, you'll probably need a DAC too...

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 12
But the Peak is a very nuetral amp that changes sound quite a bit depending on what tube you have in it - so it can almost sound however you want.  Plus it is a first rate pre-amp.  Check out the peak thread for more info.

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #12 of 12
I have no idea how to power the LCD2, but there are some threads on it.

If you're looking for a preamp, the Zana Deux is a fine one. It pulls double duty for me - I run headphones and also have it plugged into my power amp. It is clean, clear and just as good with headphones as speakers. Take a look at the owner's thread and you'll find overwhelming happiness with it. Can't think of a service issue turning up, either. Nor have I heard of anyone using up a 6C33C yet - they're run at 10% of maximum power. I have finished off a 6SL7, but that was from using it a lot. I run it about 5-6 hours a day and I'll have had it for about 30 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back