Best portable headphones for under $50
Sep 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

iliendo

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to buy a new pair of portable headphones (so no earbuds or in ear stuf please!), it will mostly will be used outside my home so I do care how they look like and want something a bit stylish (it doesn't have to be $300 stylish). I mostly listen to rap/hip-hop music (mostly bassy stuff) from various artist (the lonely island, kanye west, 50 cent etc.) so I want something optimized for those genres. I do have the Sony MDR-XB500 which I love but the're a little to big for outside use in my opinion and I would like something with a detachable cord, so if the cord breaks I can easily replace it and start listening again. Any good recommendations are welcome!

-iliendo

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 9
Read this thread and get one. http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes#post_8581957  It is the best advice I can give anyone that listens to music. It has awesome bass to boot.

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for your recommendation, they look nice and they might sound good but the only beef I got with them is that they dont have a replaceable wire.

IMO for that price you are being way too picky.

+1 for jvc s500

Or try the dt235 here from beyer. Comes in white if ur looking for "cool" looks.

Monoprice i think has a detachable cable model in ur price range but i highly doubt they will sound anywhere near as good as the two above.

The jvc is ur best option. Just dont break the cable. Even if u did it is very easy to take apart and fix with just basic skills in electronics.

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 9
I've read the s500 thread and I'm very tempted, these guys say phenomenal things about them.
I've also heard good things about the Noontec Zoro, pretty cheap, well reviewed, detachable cable and stylin', although a bit too Beats'y for some

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 9
I've read the s500 thread and I'm very tempted, these guys say phenomenal things about them.
I've also heard good things about the Noontec Zoro, pretty cheap, well reviewed, detachable cable and stylin', although a bit too Beats'y for some

Well the Noontec Zoro are twice what I want to spend on headphones so thats out of the way and i want to remind you guys they dont have to be that stylish at all, they just need to be presentable and not look like I have a satalite on my head.

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 9
IMO for that price you are being way too picky.
+1 for jvc s500
Or try the dt235 here from beyer. Comes in white if ur looking for "cool" looks.
Monoprice i think has a detachable cable model in ur price range but i highly doubt they will sound anywhere near as good as the two above.
The jvc is ur best option. Just dont break the cable. Even if u did it is very easy to take apart and fix with just basic skills in electronics.

In my opinion the beyers dont look good at all but i dont really care, if i can get better headphones for the price i get better headphones but i really want a detachable cable or at least one cable because i always tend to break earbuds that i use outdoors

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Well the Noontec Zoro are twice what I want to spend on headphones so thats out of the way and i want to remind you guys they dont have to be that stylish at all, they just need to be presentable and not look like I have a satalite on my head.

Haha my bad, sorry. I always forget how big the exchange is! they're only £40 over in the UK

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #9 of 9
If you have basic soldering skills you can replace the cable quite easily or even make it detachable by adding mono plugs in the cups.
EDIT sorry for semi necro, found this thread in a search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back