Best Portable Headphones $150-$300?
Nov 6, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #31 of 40
jokers chart is spot on, the HD25-ii, ms400 and esw9 are the top three best portables...the ms400 is the most well rounded and comfortable IMO, idk if joker would agree with me lol but once you bend the headband a little on the phiaton ms400, its awesome.

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #33 of 40
I owned the ESW9 for a fair while and I have recently purchased the TMA-1.  Both excellent portables (TMA-1 having the edge in the form/construction stakes), similar sound quality (maybe give the edge to the ATH but not by much, and that is based on memory which isn't very reliable), different signatures, both great sounding.

I would recommend either. 

Link to my review of the AIAIAI TMA-1http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/506129/aiaiai-tma-1/165#post_7038823 

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #34 of 40

Quote:
First thing you should do with your $300, when you say you care about sound quality, is to get away from the iPod Touch. Regardless of which gen, they all sound terrible. This is a case in which you will see negative returns on investments into high end headphones. The more money you spend, the crappier the sound is going to get. ipod touch is designed with using bass heavy icraps like skullcandy and beats, using any other kind will yield catastrophic results. 

Then, What's a good alternative to an ipod? (Of course it has to be portable.)

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #35 of 40

Quote:
 Then, What's a good alternative to an ipod? (Of course it has to be portable.)

I have an iPod touch 2g and it sounds fine, maybe my ears just aren't that good. You would hear a much bigger difference from investing in better headphones than a better source. I've used other portable sources too and it's not all that different, and not even necessarily worse. For portable headphones that are neutral, not overly bassy or bright, I would recommend the hd 25-1 II.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #37 of 40
After two weeks of research I decided to go with the HD25-1 ii thanks to you guys. The HD25's were not in the picture when i began the search. I just ordered them a couple of hours ago and can't wait to put my hands and ears on them.

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #38 of 40
if you decide that they're not for you, or not portable enough look into the akg k181dj (not k81dj). some folks prefer them to the hd25, they isolate well, fold, and are quite sturdy.  it's one of those devices that generally falls through the cracks here, but it has some nice characteristics.

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #40 of 40
Awesome, glad you're enjoying your new phones.  I was too late to give advice, but both the ESW9A and T50p are stellar phones.  However, they are both colored, and at opposite ends of the spectrum from eachother.  I think you made a fantastic choice, given that the HD25 is right in the middle of those two.  If you like them, you probably would have found the AT's dark and laid back and the Beyers too bright and forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back